iPhone 4G speculation

Anderson3G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
With all the next gen iPhone speculation, it would suck if the next iPhone announcement (iPhone 4G) is a provider expansion play to Verizon's 4G network and not a innovation advancement (reference article) ...

http://www.i4u.com/article27693.html

i could see this happening to gain market share while minimizing R&D investment in a down economic year ...

... or does Apple have something up their sleaves to delight us in 2010?

... or does offering an incremental iPhone development path to Verizon satisfy the appetite of innovation hungry customers?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
No one knows what Apple is going to do next. But take a look at what Apple has done in the past with other devices and it should give you a bit of an idea.
Once they settle on a design, they seem to stick with it, offering no major changes to the appearance.
The hardware updates are generally in line with current trends so they can remain competitive and maybe a little ahead of the curve.
Significant changes become new product lines.

So, what does that mean for the iPhone? No one knows. The second generation of iPhone departed the first version in appearance which is generally not very apple-esque at all. The third generation was a big leap in internal hardware.
The Fourth generation could be an entirely new phone.... And I say that because of the major changes in networks that is looming on the horizon, plus the "copy-cats" out there are getting close and closer to making a phone that can directly compete- if not surpass the iPhone. Check out the HTC HD2. The thing is BEAUTIFUL! But it runs Win Mo 6.5. That's it's down-fall. ( and I know there are people out there that think differently, but how many Win Mo phones out there continued with a growing popularity or had the customer loyalty that the iPhone carries? none.)
Apple knows it has to "bring-it" with the next version. That's all that has to be said.

Anderson3G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Check out the HTC HD2. The thing is BEAUTIFUL! But it runs Win Mo 6.5. That's it's down-fall.

Apple knows it has to "bring-it" with the next version. That's all that has to be said.
point #1 couldn't agree more ...

point #2 i sure hope so ... but i'm not convinced :)

... for the vast majority of iPhone users, the overall Apple experience (hw, apps, iTunes, etc) is what drives loyalty, not the next device ... Apple knows this and compared to every other provider, Apple is still 2-3 years from closest competitor, even Google ... it took Apple 2.5 years to get where they are today - and that's in complete control of the end-to-end experience - it will take the same for others, if not longer ...

for the sake of Apple purists, i sure hope they 'bring it' in 2010!

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
... for the vast majority of iPhone users, the overall Apple experience (hw, apps, iTunes, etc) is what drives loyalty, not the next device ... Apple knows this and compared to every other provider, Apple is still 2-3 years from closest competitor, even Google ... it took Apple 2.5 years to get where they are today - and that's in complete control of the end-to-end experience - it will take the same for others, if not longer ...

for the sake of Apple purists, i sure hope they 'bring it' in 2010!
While I do agree that Apple is ahead of the competition with the current iPhone...that is not enough for a lot of people. Look around the forum and there are always people that find something wrong with the iPhone and I think Apple takes note of these complaints. I mean they brought back MMS. If you told me that a year ago I would haven't never believed it. I'm confident that by summer 2010, Apple will "bring it."

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I'd bet that they're planning on bringing out a new phone that's going to be bigger and badder in every way possible. Everyone, say thank you to the Droid and other major competitors recently released. ;)

reilly09

Bronze
Apr 14, 2009
West Virginia
I can honestly say I not one complaint about my iPhone 3g. I have had a little trouble from time to time with iTunes, but my issues were resolved in a timely manner. I am curious to see what Apple comes up with in 2010, but I am happy with the 3G I have. I think Apple really busted the competition with the iPhone, and it will take more than a look alike to beat out the software. I have no doubt Apple will "bring-it" in 2010.

spinnda

Dec 22, 2009
Do you think they'll just had larger chips and more processing power and leave the external apperance the same?

mikeyisfresh

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
twitter.com
Do you think they'll just had larger chips and more processing power and leave the external apperance the same?

have you ever known Apple to significantly change the look of a product without creating a new product line? i haven't. don't be expecting too much of a "cosmetic update." in my opinion, the iPhone's design is still far-ahead of the competition. you might see a slight change in the look and feel of the iPhone's external design, but once again, don't expect much of a change.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
People don't like to have a 3rd version of a product and have it look EXACTLY the same, even if extensive internal modifications have been made. We wouldn't want a powerhouse of a computer to be housed inside an ugly 1980s case would we? I'm not saying that the 3g and 3gs designs are akin to 1980's computer cases but when you upgrade the internals, there should be SOME sprucing up of the exterior.

mikeyisfresh

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
twitter.com
People don't like to have a 3rd version of a product and have it look EXACTLY the same, even if extensive internal modifications have been made. We wouldn't want a powerhouse of a computer to be housed inside an ugly 1980s case would we? I'm not saying that the 3g and 3gs designs are akin to 1980's computer cases but when you upgrade the internals, there should be SOME sprucing up of the exterior.

i'm sure Apple knows what they're doing, considering they dominated the smartphone market in only 2 years...a milestone other companies have been attempting to reach for much longer.

and how do you know what "people" want? lol

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
iPhone is the hottest phone in the game! I would welcome any change, except for a pull out keyboard, with open arms. I am not a fan of the chrome, but as long as they have it on the phone it seems to help them stand out. It does look sexy!

I will happily take whatever they put together for Summer 10'. I look forward to the new treat coming our way.

We are all part of an Elite group of Smartphone users. Haters stay back. Join us or move out the way!

The joke is actually on the flip phone users. OMG guys get with the program already!

mikeyisfresh

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
twitter.com
I will happily take whatever they put together for Summer 10'. I look forward to the new treat coming our way.

I feel the exact same way. although I don't agree with everything Apple does, I do trust them when it comes to the iPhone and their Macs. all solid products that made their way from the back to the front, in what seems like a week.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i think the next iPhone will be a hit, Apple knows what they are doing and they see the competition. all i can say is im excited to see whats coming around the corner

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
i'm sure Apple knows what they're doing, considering they dominated the smartphone market in only 2 years...a milestone other companies have been attempting to reach for much longer.

and how do you know what "people" want? lol
I know what "people" want because most "people" that don't hang from Apple's balls want their brand new product not to look like something that was designed several years ago. Otherwise companies wouldn't bother ever to redesign their products. You however seem to be of the hanging variety so I understand your reaction toward my logical post and I take no offense by it.

mikeyisfresh

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
twitter.com
I know what "people" want because most "people" that don't hang from Apple's balls want their brand new product not to look like something that was designed several years ago. Otherwise companies wouldn't bother ever to redesign their products. You however seem to be of the hanging variety so I understand your reaction toward my logical post and I take no offense by it.

well, it seems to me that you took quite a bit of offense by what I said. it's okay...i'd be mad too if someone went against my opinion on a message board! i mean, afterall, its YOUR opinion. why shouldn't everyone agree with your "logic"? it is ridiculous, I know! how dare them for disagreeing with you.

oh and since you "know what people want", why don't you go ahead and design a product that gets as popular as the iPhone. k sweetie? let us know when you're rich.

p.s.
why don't you just buy a crackberry? they look cool! what, with the camera and all the buttons and the white flashy ball and stuff? you know?

p.p.s
swing swing.