iPhone 4S eligibility, really?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
ATT pisses us off and they no longer gets $150!

I wish we could call and get bumped up, but my mom will never do that. I want this phone badly!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
Got my iPhone 4 on launch day last year and I'm not eligible for upgrade until November. Luckily, my son's line is eligible so I'll be using his upgrade. :)

Reactions: Hillbilly

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
As for the 4S, looks good to me and I'll probably upgrade knowing the 5 could be out next year, I went from a 3 to a 3Gs when the 4 came out, so I'm on an every other year program. I checked my eligibility and a 32G 4s before December 3rd will cost $549.00, after December 3rd it will be $299.00 so I'm going to wait.

One thing I was concerned with is, I was a late jailbreak fan and I would hate to lose those features, but on the other hand it looks likes Apple may have filled the gap on some of the jailbreak features I use. Having to wait till December 3 will give me a chance to evaluate the 4S problems and really how it fits the real world use. then I can make the decision weather to go 4S or wait for the 5. The other problem I have is My 3GS is getting close to needing a battery! YMMV

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011
You all are why Apple did not release the "5". They know some (lots) will buy whatever they upgrade too, even if you have to pay ETFs.

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
So I've been working all morning to try to get this ish figured out. I called AT&T customer support this morning, the lady was not very helpful. She told me straight up there's nothing they can do. I whipped out the Verizon card and told her it would be cheaper for me to just switch to Verizon if I wanted the 4S at launch since my ATT ETF is only $150. She put me on hold and told me that if I go into an AT&T store they would be able to help me. SO, I went into an AT&T store and the worker there told me there's nothing he can do.

When I got home, I got on customer support chat on the AT&T website and they researched my account. Even though I'm a 5 year customer with 3 lines and a bill of around $300 a month, for some reason I'm not eligible for the 12 month upgrade like some people are. The lady told me that there's no reasoning why some people are eligible and some people aren't, it's just based on the "activity on the account".

So, I give up. I might call Friday, but I'm a little flustered. I just think it's unacceptable that AT&T can't even give us a reason why some people who purchased the iPhone for on launch day are eligible for Oct.7 and some aren't. What does a month difference make anyway?!

Reactions: Hillbilly

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
And here comes the litany of eligibility rants. Just like every other year, the concepts of subsidization and recouping just seems to be lost on some. Any carrier that gives you ANY sort of subsidy before your two-year contract is up is throwing you a bone. This system is why we can buy something as advanced as a smartphone for under $200.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
radack, call and ask to talk to a manager, just ask him/her if there's anything they can do about it, they don't have to give us anything, but it's worth a shot.
Just don't throw the I'm switching card up, they don't care.
good luck.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
got my iPhone 4 on launch Day last year and i am eligible..............

can't wait to pre-order it this Friday

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Ok, just got done talking to AT&T again, just out of curiosity as of why some dates have been pushed and some haven't.
It seems that the ones that have multiple lines the primary number gets the date pushed back, or if you pay more than $100 dollars also gets it, that's it, that's what the dude on the phone told me.
I'm still getting a phone call on the 8th by a manager, if it doesn't happen, oh well.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
Ok, just got done talking to AT&T again, just out of curiosity as of why some dates have been pushed and some haven't.
It seems that the ones that have multiple lines the primary number gets the date pushed back, or if you pay more than $100 dollars also gets it, that's it, that's what the dude on the phone told me.
I'm still getting a phone call on the 8th by a manager, if it doesn't happen, oh well.
i have 5 lines on my account and mine is primary, and i got my iPhone 4 on launch day and I am eligible............and I oay over 100 a month and have been with AT&T over 10 years

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
We have 3 lines and pay over $100. AND I'm the primary account lol. Somethings off on my account I guess....

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
We have 3 lines and pay over $100. AND I'm the primary account lol. Somethings off on my account I guess....
Then it doesn't make any sense.
If they do it for everybody else they should do it for you as well.
Me, I'm all alone on my account and i only pay $86 a month, so unless I can really come up with a great excuse I don't think they gonna help me.

Where's CJ when you need him.