iPhone 4S eligibility, really?

casssax

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
I'm eligible on Nov 17th. I got my phone the day before launch day last time around.

Bennyboy, I'm paying the same as you are. I assume if you have a really big bill you get to upgrade faster.

It'll give me a chance to get used to iOS5 while we're waiting.

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
I have 3 lines on my account, my line is also the main account and I got the iPhone 4 on preorder but I'm STILL not eligible until February! :mad:

casssax

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
I posted this on another thread as well, but I wonder how many new iPhones Apple can ship at a time. They may be staggering the upgrade dates to prevent being out of stock when everyone orders.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
From what I've been reading, AT&T isn't offering an early upgrade for early adopters. :eek: Thank gawd I have a second line for this kind of situation.

victoorious

Nov 1, 2009
Hey guys, question.

So I have 5 lines on my plan, 4/5 of them are eligible to upgrade, and unfortunately the one that wants to upgrade is NOT eligible.

xxx-1533-eligible (iPhone 4)
xxx-1633-eligible (iPhone 4)
xxx-1833-eligible (non smart phone)
xxx-1933-eligible (non smart phone)
xxx-2595-NON eligible (iPhone 4)

one of my options is using line 1633 to upgrade for the 2595. But my concern is that, line 1633 is located in NY and I am in CA. If I were to do this, and by the time I get the 1633's phone mailed to me in CA. Will his phone be deactivated? Or can I simply just switch the sim card, and the line 1633 will not be affected at all?

my other option was to use either 1833 or 1933 upgrade to the 2595, but since those are not smart phones, I understand i will have to purchase a data plan. If I purchase a data plan, can I cancel it before they even use it to prevent getting a prorated charge for Data?

What is the best option to get my 2595 line upgraded!

Thanks guys

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
It shouldn't matter where that line is located. All you're doing is using that line to upgrade a phone. That's what I'm ending up doing. When the phone comes in. I'll just swap SIM cards and nothing would change. You're just committing to a 2 year contract on that line.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
We have 3 lines and pay over $100. AND I'm the primary account lol. Somethings off on my account I guess....
I became eligible on June 25th, then dropped unlimited messaging for 1000 a couple months later ($10 cheaper) and it retroactively changed me to November 25th even though my total bill was still over $100. What I was told when I called to get mine straightened out is that your primary line has to be paying over $100 in minutes, messaging, and data. Any shared features are considered part of this primary line, so basically, your bill can be over $100, but if your primary line is the 550 minute plan ($50), 1000 messages ($10), and unlimited data ($30), you fall under that $100 mark no matter if you have one additional line or four that takes your overall bill above $100.

Each line is considered on its upgradeability separately, and that primary line only counts the minute plan, messaging plan, and data plan. That is why most additional lines beyond the first on family plans always have to wait nearly the full 2 years but the primary account holder gets a half a year or full year break.

I plan on upgrading back to unlimited messaging when I upgrade to the 4S just for the yearly upgrade. $120 is a cheaper price to pay in the long run than the $250 extra I'd otherwise have to spend. (the waiting for the 18 month upgrade would probably cost me more still than the $250 :p)

Reactions: Tinman

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
Thanks for the info, I think I'm definitely going to call them. My main line has the $60 minute plan, $30 unlimited texting and also the $30 data plan. So it's definitely over $100 and I think I should be eligible.

victoorious

Nov 1, 2009
It shouldn't matter where that line is located. All you're doing is using that line to upgrade a phone. That's what I'm ending up doing. When the phone comes in. I'll just swap SIM cards and nothing would change. You're just committing to a 2 year contract on that line.
Ya but lets say I upgrade the 1633 line. When I do get the iPhone 4s for that line, wouldn't there be a SIM card in that new phone, so it will deactivate the iPhone 4 in NY?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Ya but lets say I upgrade the 1633 line. When I do get the iPhone 4s for that line, wouldn't there be a SIM card in that new phone, so it will deactivate the iPhone 4 in NY?
Only if you activate the phone with SIM card in the new phone. If you swap SIM cards after you unbox it and power it on, then you will be fine.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 last July. I was expecting to be able to use my upgrade for the iPhone 4S preorder just as I did when I purchases the 3G, 3GS and the 4. Every time year I've bought the new iPhone and every year I've been able to buy the phone at the upgrade price. Apparently not this year. It shows that I'm not able to buy at the discount prices until November 18th. Anyone else having this problem. I'm quite upset about it :mad:
Mine is November 30. I'm pissed and am actually on the phone with AT&T right now. I bought a week after launch day and have been eligible every launch day, except this year.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The free ride's over I guess. Only a matter of time. But I really thought they'd be more flexible this year now that Sprint and Verizon are both carrying iPhones.

I think I may just hold out until iPhone 6.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I bought mine the day after launch date last year. My friend was next in line from me and right now I'm eligible for an upgrade and his isn't until Feb 2012 :)

InyigoMontoya

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2011
Indiana
I'm sure I'll take heat for my opinion here but oh well. I genuinely do not understand why everyone is so upset that AT&T isn't going to let you out of your two-year CONTRACT early. Certainly they've done it in the past but it was always a courtesy, never protocol. The reason we get these phones for nearly a third of the price is because the carriers intend to make that money back over the term of the contract. So the next complaint will be that AT&T is raising data/voice/text rates. Why might that happen? Because EVERYONE with an iPhone wants to upgrade early. So what about Apple releasing new products once a year(ish) instead of every two congruent with carrier plans? Well, you plays your games and you takes your chances. I got myself on the evolutionary upgrade cycle as opposed to revolutionary. Am I getting the 4S when my two year contract is up on 10-17? Yep. Am I going to be irritated if Apple releases a redesigned phone in a year's time? Likely so. But I'm not going to throw a fit if AT&T doesn't let me upgrade a year early when I've only fulfilled half my subsidy deal with them. The longer this early upgrade trend continues the quicker I see rate hikes and data throttling (under the guise of network restraints) coming.

Of course this is just my opinion and I could be dead wrong.

Reactions: jarofclay73

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
How many here that are now eligible to update are on a Government discount plan? I know I wasn't able to upgrade until late November. Now I am eligible with full subsidized pricing. Just something that popped into my head. ?