iPhone 4S eligibility, really?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
With Rogers, my early upgrade fee is..$380 + cost of subsidized phone. I want the 32GB model, so $679 to upgrade to a LOCKED...or I can get it full price at $749 UNLOCKED.

Bleh.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
That's weird. I got my iPhone 4 on the day it came out and so did my wife. I'm eligible for a complete upgrade on my line, but my wife isn't eligible until February. Don't think I'm upgrading, though. We'll see how good Siri really is. I'm also considering a move to Sprint at the end of my current contract anyway. Just gotta wait 'til June.

TheSnowman

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
I don't want to be rude but these threads are funny. We do this every year. ATT has no obligation to lower your early upgrade so you can get a new phone. So some get to and others don't. Thats what we all get for signing a contract

Reactions: iprncess

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
I became eligible on June 25th, then dropped unlimited messaging for 1000 a couple months later ($10 cheaper) and it retroactively changed me to November 25th even though my total bill was still over $100. What I was told when I called to get mine straightened out is that your primary line has to be paying over $100 in minutes, messaging, and data. Any shared features are considered part of this primary line, so basically, your bill can be over $100, but if your primary line is the 550 minute plan ($50), 1000 messages ($10), and unlimited data ($30), you fall under that $100 mark no matter if you have one additional line or four that takes your overall bill above $100.

Each line is considered on its upgradeability separately, and that primary line only counts the minute plan, messaging plan, and data plan. That is why most additional lines beyond the first on family plans always have to wait nearly the full 2 years but the primary account holder gets a half a year or full year break.

I plan on upgrading back to unlimited messaging when I upgrade to the 4S just for the yearly upgrade. $120 is a cheaper price to pay in the long run than the $250 extra I'd otherwise have to spend. (the waiting for the 18 month upgrade would probably cost me more still than the $250 :p)
Interesting, that STILL wouldn't make sense for me since we have the 2100 minute plan which alone costs $109.99. This is killing me haha

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
What harm does it do to ATT?

I think they should allow you too serve 1 year then upgrade whoever on ATT. If your leaving, you should do the full 16 or 24 months.

RIP Steven P. Jobs; We will miss you with our hearts; 1955-2011

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but I wonder if AT&T is staggering eligibility dates so everyone can't upgrade at the same time. This help alleviate the massive server load they experienced last year and keep the run on the initial supply to a manageable level. Just a stray thought I had.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but I wonder if AT&T is staggering eligibility dates so everyone can't upgrade at the same time. This help alleviate the massive server load they experienced last year and keep the run on the initial supply to a manageable level. Just a stray thought I had.

Not a bad theory.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's weird. I got my iPhone 4 on the day it came out and so did my wife. I'm eligible for a complete upgrade on my line, but my wife isn't eligible until February. Don't think I'm upgrading, though. We'll see how good Siri really is. I'm also considering a move to Sprint at the end of my current contract anyway. Just gotta wait 'til June.
The eligibly is different when you're on a family plan. The primary plan holder is eligible sooner than someone who is on a single plan.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

Or they're just tired of giving away expensive phones...

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX

Or they're just tired of giving away expensive phones...
I'm sure that's true. It just seems odd that people with the same sets of circumstances (upgraded w/full subsidy to iPhone4 on launch day last year with a single line) would have such a variety of eligibility dates this time around.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They gave us a good deal last year because they wanted to lock us in before the Verizon iPhone release. They let us upgrade to the iPhone 4 with full subsidization up to 6 months early. The fact that they won't even give us five weeks this time more or less proves that, IMO.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

I'm sure that's true. It just seems odd that people with the same sets of circumstances (upgraded w/full subsidy to iPhone4 on launch day last year with a single line) would have such a variety of eligibility dates this time around.

But it's also dependent on your ATT account, features, bill, etc.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Right. I'm referring to those on single plans with the lowest minutes; their customers who pay the lowest amount. That's the boat I'm in and they still let me upgrade 6 months early last year.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, me too. I really thought they'd bump dates again this year seeing as they now have direct competition from Verizon and Sprint.

Sometimes I wonder what these bozos are thinking...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
yeah, me too. I really thought they'd bump dates again this year seeing as they now have direct competition from Verizon and Sprint.

Sometimes I wonder what these bozos are thinking...
I did, too. But now I realize it was a dumb assumption. After I did the math and saw that I would only save $67 by switching, I realized that they know most of us won't go for it. And for the few who tell them the $67 is worth the hassle and the are going to switch, they will have have customer retention tell them that they will lose simultaneous voice and 3G and get lower 3G speeds with Verizon and Sprint. That will stop some more of them. We had a lower ETF when we bought our 3GS' in June 2009. If we skipped the iPhone 4 in June 2010 (which many of us would have if they hadn't hooked us in with full subsidization), our ETF wouldn't have increased from $185 to $325 in June 2010. Our ETF would have been much less than it is right now when February came around and the Verizon phone was released. It was $185 and pro-rated and we would have been 20 months into our contracts. So they increased the ETF in early June (for those who upgraded) and then gave us no reason not to upgrade last year. Now that that ETF is so high and we have more to lose, they won't budge.

It's exactly like that recall equation on Fight Club. They won't lose enough this time around to justify pushing the dates forward.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Called AT&T again this morning, the lady said to me "didn't we tell you we were going to call you?"

I think I'm going to wait for the phone call now like a good boy.

IceCold357

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2009
How many here that are now eligible to update are on a Government discount plan? I know I wasn't able to upgrade until late November. Now I am eligible with full subsidized pricing. Just something that popped into my head. ?
I'm on a government discount plan and I am not eligible until 11/18. I don't understand it. I read in another thread that if your eligibility date is 11/18 you may be able to move it up to 11/1. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm on a government discount plan and I am not eligible until 11/18. I don't understand it. I read in another thread that if your eligibility date is 11/18 you may be able to move it up to 11/1. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I heard the same thing, interested if find out if we can.