iPhone 4S eligibility, really?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm on a government discount plan and I am not eligible until 11/18. I don't understand it. I read in another thread that if your eligibility date is 11/18 you may be able to move it up to 11/1. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
Didn't work for me. I called twice and spent two hours on hold the second time. They wouldn't budge.

jb829904

Contributor
Silver
Jun 24, 2010
MO
Called AT&T again this morning, the lady said to me "didn't we tell you we were going to call you?"

I think I'm going to wait for the phone call now like a good boy.
Well thats absurdly rude for her to say anyway, regardless or whether or not you were told to wait like a good boy (=

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I don't want to be rude but these threads are funny. We do this every year. ATT has no obligation to lower your early upgrade so you can get a new phone. So some get to and others don't. Thats what we all get for signing a contract
Exactly! We have an acronym in my industry - RTFC! Read The Freaking Contract.

Not trying to be rude, but a contract is a contract.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Well thats absurdly rude for her to say anyway, regardless or whether or not you were told to wait like a good boy (=
She was nice about it thou, I did call 4 times in 2 days, and I'm sure i wasn't the only one.

See, my girlfriend got 3 weeks bump from sprint, so she can upgrade the 14th of this month, now she's throwing it in my face that her iPhone is going to be better then mine. I did tell her that if she keeps that up I won't help her with any problems she might have, so she said "it's ok, I'll join everythingicafe" so, yeah lol

IceCold357

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2009
Didn't work for me. I called twice and spent two hours on hold the second time. They wouldn't budge.
See now I am worried about the backorder time for receiving the phone. May be weeks or months if ordered on November 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Let me ask this for some clarity. You can get the fully subsidized pricing if you sign a two year agreement, right? There are rate plans that range from $50 to $100 per month. AT&T is making more on "family plans" one would assume. Wouldn't it make more sense for a subscriber be able to upgrade based on the amount of their monthly bill vs. the time they have contract? We have an upper level rate plan and way too many roll-over minutes. That leads me to believe two things: 1) we should adjust our plan down and 2) I am a very profitable customer for AT&T. Wouldn't that count for something?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yes, that is one of the factors they pick when determining your upgrade eligibility date. $100+ a month (pre-tax) on minutes, messaging, and data (and related features like international) is the magic number for the difference between 12 and 18 months from what I was told by an AT&T representative.

The other factors include account standing (like whether you've ever been overly late for a payment or have had a dispute over a bill), changes to your plan in mid-contract (like adding or removing features), and how many times you call AT&T to bug them about changing your eligibility date ;)

(I only called once per year, I don't know if that actually has any effect :D)

Reactions: Bennyboy

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
I stopped by the AT&T store today and asked the worker there about the upgrade. He said, according to my account, I should be eligible today because I'm the primary holder and my line costs over $150. He said that he cannot change anything but to call customer support. SO I called again and told them what the worker had said, bottom line is that they were no help. I GIVE UP!

gokart

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I got my white iPhone4 on April 29. Does that mean I technically "upgraded" and won't be available for an upgrade until next year? I'm on a family plan with 9 lines and our bill is more than $1000 a month.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I got my white iPhone4 on April 29. Does that mean I technically "upgraded" and won't be available for an upgrade until next year? I'm on a family plan with 9 lines and our bill is more than $1000 a month.
Wow, that's a wild bill. :eek: But the pricing factor in the eligibility goes by the cost of each line. (Each line is like a new contract, but with a discount compared to an individual plan)

Yes, you used your upgrade on April 29. Unless you paid full price for the phone, you have signed that 2 year renewal for your line.

If you are the primary account holder, what are the minutes, messages, data rates? And if you are not the primary, it's $10 plus whatever data or individual messaging/international features are on it.

That is, if you go to "My Online Bill" in the AT&T site, and scroll to that specific number, then expand "Total monthly service charges", tally up "Rate Plan" and "Wireless Data". If that number is less than $99 each month, your upgrade cycle is longer.

gokart

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Wow, that's a wild bill. :eek: But the pricing factor in the eligibility goes by the cost of each line. (Each line is like a new contract, but with a discount compared to an individual plan)

Yes, you used your upgrade on April 29. Unless you paid full price for the phone, you have signed that 2 year renewal for your line.

If you are the primary account holder, what are the minutes, messages, data rates? And if you are not the primary, it's $10 plus whatever data or individual messaging/international features are on it.

That is, if you go to "My Online Bill" in the AT&T site, and scroll to that specific number, then expand "Total monthly service charges", tally up "Rate Plan" and "Wireless Data". If that number is less than $99 each month, your upgrade cycle is longer.
I payed full price in April for the white, but 20 months from April is 11/2012 which is when they say im allowed to upgrade, so it looks like they signed me into another 2 year contract when I payed full price. I'm not the primary account holder but my plan is Family Messenging Unlimitd With Mobile to Mobile Calling, Data Pro 2GB for iPhone & ATT World Connect.

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
Just opt out of a contract if it means do much pay 175$ or whatever it is and add a line?a thought not sure it'll work lol
We have what's called upgrade exception.
I kno November there's an upgrade but it's my husbands line and it is once a year upgradable I want to fulfill two tears
From now on I'm telling my dh n kids grab iPhones ESP w FaceTime now.

They are using bb torch n sanding captivate my dh loving Android but starting to understand iPhone thanks to the iPads:)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.859129,-74.162644

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
How many here that are now eligible to update are on a Government discount plan? I know I wasn't able to upgrade until late November. Now I am eligible with full subsidized pricing. Just something that popped into my head. ?

What is a government discount plan?
I get ssi for hearing loss( husband pays the bills lol)
Thanks

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I payed full price in April for the white, but 20 months from April is 11/2012 which is when they say im allowed to upgrade, so it looks like they signed me into another 2 year contract when I payed full price. I'm not the primary account holder but my plan is Family Messenging Unlimitd With Mobile to Mobile Calling, Data Pro 2GB for iPhone & ATT World Connect.
OK, if you paid full price for the phone you shouldn't have lost your upgrade eligibility, so it must be coming from an upgrade on a previous date. Did you get the original iPhone 4 as well?

Your share of the account is $10 (line) + $25 (data) + $4 (worldconnect), so it is well below the $68 limit at which they start giving you upgrade breaks. You have to wait about 20 months between using phone upgrades.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Radack, just so you know I did get the phone call and they did give me the early upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone 11