iPhone 4S eligibility, really?

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
I wasn't available for the early upgrade so I went into my local AT&T store. They told me that I could pay the $250 early upgrade fee. On a side note who is going to pay that when it only cost me $175 in early termination fees. Here is where it gets interesting. They told me that it wasn't their fault that I couldn't upgrade it was part of their contract with Apple and it was Apple's fault I couldn't upgrade. Called customer service and they told me the same thing. This didn't sit well with me so I called Apple and they said it was a lie. I don't like being lied to so I signed a new contract with Verizon and will be getting my phone on release day. Going to sell my iPhone 4 to cover the early termination fee. So in conclusion I got what I wanted for the price I wanted on the day I wanted it. AT&T lost over $2,000 cause they wouldn't eat $250.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I wasn't available for the early upgrade so I went into my local AT&T store. They told me that I could pay the $250 early upgrade fee. On a side note who is going to pay that when it only cost me $175 in early termination fees. Here is where it gets interesting. They told me that it wasn't their fault that I couldn't upgrade it was part of their contract with Apple and it was Apple's fault I couldn't upgrade. Called customer service and they told me the same thing. This didn't sit well with me so I called Apple and they said it was a lie. I don't like being lied to so I signed a new contract with Verizon and will be getting my phone on release day. Going to sell my iPhone 4 to cover the early termination fee. So in conclusion I got what I wanted for the price I wanted on the day I wanted it. AT&T lost over $2,000 cause they wouldn't eat $250.
How did AT&T loose $2,000?
Unless you talking about what your contract costs over a 2 year period.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Wow. I just the math on my plan: 1 iPhone4, 1 iPhone 3GS, 1 messaging phone (for the 11-year old). $4300 total contract revenue.

If I really want to upgrade to the 4s, I'd have to pay $250. Really makes me rethink the whole smartphone thing!

We're an average family. I think AT&T needs to rethink this from time to dollars. Or I just do GoPhone!

Target

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
Yes, got the phone call from the AT&T manager around 8:15 on Friday night and gave me the early upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone 11
Nice dude! So how did you go about doing this? Every time I talked to customer support it was worthless. How were you able to get to the manager?

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Nice dude! So how did you go about doing this? Every time I talked to customer support it was worthless. How were you able to get to the manager?
I was as nice as possible about it. I didn't ask for the manager to call me thou, the first Time I called and asked if anything could've been done, the guy on the phone told me that there was nothing he could do at all, but if I wanted he could have the manager call me the day when pre-orders started, so I said sure why not.
Called them couple more times after that to try again but obviously they have it that a manager was going to call me on the 7th.

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Wow! They sold 200K iPhone 4s in 12 hours so something tells me they'll be ok. I hope the service with Verizon was worth all that. Until I can use data and voice at the same time over their network, I'm sticking with AT&T.