iPhone 5 Jailbreak Status Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh good... I'll be way too busy this Sunday to be an early adopter. I'll wait for all the pitfalls and warnings and do it Monday. :)

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'd rather not risk any issues. Do you suggest that I restore as new? Or can I just restore and that will be good?
When you do an update, all it does is update the operating software. It is good, however, to do a backup and sync before you update.

It is not necessary to do a "full restore" to be prepared for the Jailbreak. The only time this would be necessary is if you notice anything wrong with your phone such as slowness.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'd rather not risk any issues. Do you suggest that I restore as new? Or can I just restore and that will be good?
You can update now, but do it it iTunes, not OTA. I'm planning on updating tomorrow, backing up and restoring to factory settings when the jailbreak is released, jailbreaking and then applying my backup.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
You can update now, but do it it iTunes, not OTA. I'm planning on updating tomorrow, backing up and restoring to factory settings when the jailbreak is released, jailbreaking and then applying my backup.
Thanks. I actually updated using iTunes the other day. However, then I found out I should restore as new, which I decided to do just now.

Sent using iCafe app

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
What do you have Europa iPhone wise ?, would you think its safe to upgrade because i feel i have battery issues with 6.0 on iPhone 5 but don't want to risk not being able to jailbreak ?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What do you have Europa iPhone wise ?, would you think its safe to upgrade because i feel i have battery issues with 6.0 on iPhone 5 but don't want to risk not being able to jailbreak ?
I have an iPhone 5. The jailbreak is compatible with 6.1, so it's safe to update now.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
cheers, slightly off topic but is the battery better ?
I've been too busy to update. I'm going to do it tomorrow. But every firmware update that has ever existed has had reports of worse battery life. I don't spend any time fixating on it. We don't have a "Worse battery life on 6.1" thread yet? :p

Reactions: hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
I've been too busy to update. I'm going to do it tomorrow. But every firmware update that has ever existed has had reports of worse battery life. I don't spend any time fixating on it. We don't have a "Worse battery life on 6.1" thread yet? :p

haha, i will let you try first then you can get back to me :D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why are you guys restoring to factory settings right now? It's pointless unless you're going to keep your phone completely empty until the jailbreak.

The point of restoring to factory settings is so the phone is empty when you jailbreak it. Then, after the jailbreak goes live and you have Cydia running on your phone, you can apply your backup (without restoring the firmware). It's not necessarily necessary to do this, but it has sped up the jailbreaking process on some of the past jailbreaks and it will decrease the odds of it failing.

So if you want to run 6.1 before the jailbreak is ready, just do a regular update now, but then backup as soon as you're ready to jailbreak, restore to factory settings, run the jailbreak tool and then apply your backup (without restoring the firmware). Another option is to restore to factory settings when the jailbreak is available, jailbreak and the set the phone up from scratch. I'm going to use my backup. I only set my phone up from scratch once a year (each new device), unless I absolutely have to do it more.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
See one thing I loved about the recent jailbreak was, all you had to do was plug it in and all it would do is attach cydia. I could just delete and add what I felt u wanted to. Never felt the need to restore beforehand. Everyone's different though.

Status
Not open for further replies.