iPhone 5 Jailbroken Already! BOOM!

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
So are there less and less people trying to actually JB this device now? I would gladly pay a fee to JB my device if its a monetary thing. I wish I had the capabilities and know-how to do something like this...
Me too..., I don't mind giving donations too, if it makes them feel appreciated.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So are there less and less people trying to actually JB this device now? I would gladly pay a fee to JB my device if its a monetary thing. I wish I had the capabilities and know-how to do something like this...
No, there are several working it, but they still have a lot of work to do.

Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 9.49.08 AM.png

Me too..., I don't mind giving donations too, if it makes them feel appreciated.
It's not a lack of funding that's causing it to take so long. They get compensated for their work even though these tools are all free. It's just very, very time consuming.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well, of course the jailbreak is getting closer unless it's not coming at all.
^That is one of my favorite posts of all time. :)

We are moving along a current of time, which at some point in the future contains the arrival of the jailbreak. That is unless there is no arrival of the jailbreak. Then all bets are off. I think people gloss over the part of the article where they say they are still missing critical pieces and glom onto the "getting closer" in the article title.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
ATV3: Still has never been jailbroken.
Not a huge demand for it, though. I haven't bothered with jailbreaking an ATV since Air Play and the ability to bypass iTunes altogether and stream (live conversion) non-itunes-friendly videos was added.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
I didn't bother JB 5.1.1 and to be honest I haven't JB 6.0 either. Been quite happy staying on stock right now but if an untether appears for 6.0. Or for 6.0.1 then maybe I might JB again. There's things I do miss such as my bite SMS and customised home screen but that's about it.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I had a Sprint iP5 but traded it for a Sprint iP4S JB on 5.0.1. I'm currently using it as my main phone on Sprint but I have the GEVEY for it that works great with T-Mobile (100% tested by me) in case I ever need to leave Sprint.

I also have an AT&T iP4S JB on 5.1.1 with a Gevey and T-Mobile prepaid sim working great.

So for now I don't need another phone HOWEVER I'm at that point where I want to buy an iPad in the next couple of days and can't decide between the iPad2 (jailbreakable right now since they're selling them on 5.1.1) or a new iPad 3 with Retina Display, which who knows if they'll ever be able to jailbreak it.

I definitely need the JB on the phone mostly for the tethering to my Mac Air and soon to my iPad but do I need the JB on the iPad? Has anyone here given up the JB in order to move up from iPad 2 to the Retina? What's your opinion, would you do it again?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I had a Sprint iP5 but traded it for a Sprint iP4S JB on 5.0.1. I'm currently using it as my main phone on Sprint but I have the GEVEY for it that works great with T-Mobile (100% tested by me) in case I ever need to leave Sprint.

I also have an AT&T iP4S JB on 5.1.1 with a Gevey and T-Mobile prepaid sim working great.

So for now I don't need another phone HOWEVER I'm at that point where I want to buy an iPad in the next couple of days and can't decide between the iPad2 (jailbreakable right now since they're selling them on 5.1.1) or a new iPad 3 with Retina Display, which who knows if they'll ever be able to jailbreak it.

I definitely need the JB on the phone mostly for the tethering to my Mac Air and soon to my iPad but do I need the JB on the iPad? Has anyone here given up the JB in order to move up from iPad 2 to the Retina? What's your opinion, would you do it again?
The iPad won't need to be jailbroken to access unofficial tethering (mobile hotspot), but the iPhone will. I jailbreak my iPhones, but I don't bother with jailbreaking my iPads. I just don't have as much need to do so since I use fewer apps on the iPad. I sold my iPad 3 and got a mini because I wanted a smaller, lighter-weight device. The fact that it's non-Retina doesn't bother me that much.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I guess I could have worded that sentence better. I knew I didn't need to JB to get wifi I was wondering about you maybe missing the rest of the features like SB Settings, etc.

You also touched on my next debacle, iPad 3 vs Mini.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I guess I could have worded that sentence better. I knew I didn't need to JB to get wifi I was wondering about you maybe missing the rest of the features like SB Settings, etc.

You also touched on my next debacle, iPad 3 vs Mini.
I think it's partly because I don't use my iPad as much as my iPhone, but I've never had any desire to jailbreak it. A lot of my iPhone Cydia apps would be useless on my iPad. For example, I have no need for Bluetooth/WiFi/airplane mode toggles or SMS apps/tweaks on my iPad.

A lot of people will probably disagree with me since they need Retina, but I rarely used my iPad 3 since it was too heavy and awkward to type on. I actually use the mini since it's a comfortable weight & size. I did just fine with non-Retina displays on my old iPhones for years, so the fact that it doesn't have it doesn't bother me that much. Sure, Retina would be nice, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. The screen still looks good.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
"I have no need for Bluetooth/WiFi/airplane mode toggles or SMS apps/tweaks on my iPad."

Come to think of it, you're right and it makes a lot of sense. I won't need the SB Settings toggles like wifi, airplane and respring, which are the ones I use the most on my phone. I'll look into the Mini now, thanks.

Reactions: Europa

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
OK so I've decided to go with the Mini but now have to decide between 32GB wifi only or 32GB with Cellular. Does anyone know if I buy it directly from Apple at full price if the Mini is locked to AT&T or can I use it with T-Mobile?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
OK so I've decided to go with the Mini but now have to decide between 32GB wifi only or 32GB with Cellular. Does anyone know if I buy it directly from Apple at full price if the Mini is locked to AT&T or can I use it with T-Mobile?
It will work with a T-Mobile SIM. You can cut a standard or micro SIM down to nano SIM size so it will fit in the Mini.

Reactions: AeroCare

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Perfect, thanks. I just called Best buy and they're holding 2 of them for me to go see tomorrow and pick one. One 32GB and another 16GB both with Verizon.

I researched a little more and the Verizon iPad Mini does 3G with T-Mobile because it supports international frews for 3G and LTE while the AT&T iPad doesn't for international. Of course I can't get LTE on AT&T with it but I can still get AT&T's 3.5. There are a couple of articles out there about this.

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
I've NEVER seen it this quiet on the Jailbreak front before. Kind of scary.

WOO HOO! 1,000 posts! LOL!