iPhone 5 Megapixel Camera in 2010 and an 8 in 2011?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I take roughly 500 pics a month with my iPhone camera, and rarely use my regular camera. I would wager that different folks have different strokes.
You're like my husband. He uses the sh*t out of his iPhone camera. The pictures look good on the iPhoto app on the iMac and when I printed some of them out they looked fantastic. They have come out pretty clear for the 3.2Megpix that the 3Gs has. I can imageine what a new camera will bring.

I take quite a few on the fly pictures myself. There are so many things out there that are soo funny. I take video too. While commuting it would be too hard to take out a real camera and obviously start shooting pictures of fashion don'ts and what not. The discretion of the iPhone is great. :)

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I use my iPhone camera a LOT more than my DSLR. It's not very practical lugging around my equipment everywhere I go. My high quality photos are reserved for very special occasions or serious photoshoots.

Hinezy

Contributor
Silver
May 24, 2008
Mt.Carmel, PA
I fully understand the argument about megapixels and optics but I don't know much else about cameras. My biggest gripe with the iPhone camera is that if there is any motion your almost guaranteed to get blur. Still pics look great but I'd like all pics to look great. When taking pics of my two year old son it takes about 5 pics to get a clear one. He's very active, ha ha!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's where the flash and exposure settings would help.

even if not completely manual exposure settings, presets would be nice: action, still, low-light, etc...

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007

That's a good little example of the 8 megapixel camera on the HTC EVO. Notice how quickly the camera comes up, and how there is no shutter lag...

Basically from now on I'm going to compare iPhone HD to HTC EVO (MAYBE the verizon incredible) and IMHO the EVO is winning. I saw that according to one of the blog posts on this site that the new iPhone will even have a SMALLER display than the current 3GS.

I agree that megapixels certainly aren't the deciding factor for how nice a picture is BUT cēterīs paribus (all other things equal) it makes a difference, and I'm not sure if there is some other quantifiable way (somebody else mentioned lens size) to asses picture quality. I'd also say the camera lens on the EVO is about 4 times that of the 3GS.

Anyway, this camera news is no surprise. iPhone have always had an OK camera, but by no means the best.

ALSO, about picture size, with Android I'm pretty sure I will be able to mount my home (ubuntu) server and just upload all my HUGE sized pictures...

I'm sorry, this is a little bit off track, but I just can't wait for the EVO, and the iPhone is gonna have to do some REALLY big stuff to beat them. I'm interested to see what they do with the front camera and how open it will be (will they allow skype to use it over 3G?)

I lurk more than I post, but I think me and liberated are of the same mind on most opinions about iPhones.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Actually, I'm trying to compare the iPhone HD to EVO.

The EVO will have an 8 megapixel camera, the iPhone HD (according to this article) will have a 5 megapixel camera.

The comparison I made between the EVO and the 3GS was about the lens size, and that was only because I think the lens size of the 3GS is mostly common knowledge to anyone on these forums (I believe).

The one factor that the HD may have a leg up on against the EVO (hardwarewise, and only from the speculation we've been shown) is resolution of screen. It looks rather certain the HD will have a smaller screen (in physical size).

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
In terms of technology a year may as well be 10 years, though.
And that is exactly the point. Apple is not staying up to date and other phone companies are. It's not unfair to compare two phones if one of the companies like Apple can make changes but chooses not to. Apple has the ability and more than enough R&D and money to be way better than anything else out there but it chooses not to.

Blueline29

Bronze
Jun 12, 2009
St. Louis
And that is exactly the point. Apple is not staying up to date and other phone companies are. It's not unfair to compare two phones if one of the companies like Apple can make changes but chooses not to. Apple has the ability and more than enough R&D and money to be way better than anything else out there but it chooses not to.
Yeah, that I understand, but if you're going to compare hardware performance, you pretty much have to limit it to hardware vs. hardware as opposed to hardware vs. hardware + company ethos, at least IMO.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
That's right. Today you can compare the 3GS with whatever other one and nobody should complain that the 3GS is a year old. It's what Apple has decided to have in this market today so that's what's getting compared.

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
That's right. Today you can compare the 3GS with whatever other one and nobody should complain that the 3GS is a year old. It's what Apple has decided to have in this market today so that's what's getting compared.
I see where you are coming from and there are some valid points I suppose but I don't think it gets mentioned enough that if Apple had not created the iPhone then there most likely would not be an Android phone. I wonder just how many iPhones were dissected for FrankenGoogle to create the Droids?

The fact that the two companies use different businesss models to create/shape their product plan is actually good for the consumer. They are both good products in their own right offering little nuances that different consumers find desirable. If someone is less than pleased with the Apple model then they can choose a droid, a berry or another product to achieve their phone utils...and vice versa. Free market at it's best. C'est la vie!