iPhone 6s iPhone 6s Uses Different-Sized A9 Chips From Samsung and TSMC

Mrbjr

Sep 19, 2015
Europa, yours and mine shipped together, I wonder how the different chips were allocated, random or what?

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
9to5Mac: "Apple acknowledges iPhone 6s, 6s Plus battery life may vary based on Samsung or TSMC chip"

Apple's statement:
With the Apple-designed A9 chip in your iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus, you are getting the most advanced smartphone chip in the world. Every chip we ship meets Apple’s highest standards for providing incredible performance and deliver great battery life, regardless of iPhone 6s capacity, color, or model.

Certain manufactured lab tests which run the processors with a continuous heavy workload until the battery depletes are not representative of real-world usage, since they spend an unrealistic amount of time at the highest CPU performance state. It’s a misleading way to measure real-world battery life. Our testing and customer data show the actual battery life of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, even taking into account variable component differences, vary within just 2-3% of each other.

So, Apple: You won't mind giving me a 2 to 3% refund on the purchase price of my iPhone? In the real world, you will hardly notice it.
You're funny. :)

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
My assumption is that Apple randomized the distribution of iPhones with the two chips. Mix 'em up so each batch of iPhones to ship included versions with both chips. That would avoid clusters of potential problem units if there was any kind of glitch in assembly. Spreading say, a thousand problem units, would prevent a cluster of failures and probably be less of a pr issue as opposed to a thousand customers in a single area having lemons. That's my guess anyway.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Europa, yours and mine shipped together, I wonder how the different chips were allocated, random or what?
IIRC, they were made the same week and therefore likely were in the same production cycle. Hard to say for sure, though. I'm not sure if every one from that production week has the TSMC. They might have stock of both at all times making it somewhat random.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I still don't think these anecdotal impressions in the videos I've seen so far are very conclusive. iPhones sitting on the same wifi network downloading the same YouTube video could have a very different experience regardless of CPU fab, with one of them having to keep the radio active more due to the download being slower, and therefore draining more battery. Recording a 4K video for 10 minutes isn't really enough of a sample set. With the 4K video recording (outside, even!), as well as with high intensity CPU/GPU benchmarks, thermal throttling comes into play much more quickly.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I don't really blame Apple from wanting to keeps users from finding out which chip they have..

Anyone remember a few years ago when retina Macbook Pro users could run a script and see which screen they had? The Samsung screen was deemed to be better than the LG and there were people posting online they they were returning LG screened MacBooks in the hopes of getting the Samsung. I remember reading that one guy had done it several times!

Users are sometimes our own worse enemies. Sure I wanted to know which I had and it was the LG. Guess what? Never had a single issue with it. They were supposedly susceptible to screen burn in but I never saw any.

Knowing what version you have is great in case there is a recall but I can see millions of users who are still within their return period running back to Apple and exchanging their phone 10 times trying to get one with the TSMC chip..

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I don't really blame Apple from wanting to keeps users from finding out which chip they have..

Anyone remember a few years ago when retina Macbook Pro users could run a script and see which screen they had? The Samsung screen was deemed to be better than the LG and there were people posting online they they were returning LG screened MacBooks in the hopes of getting the Samsung. I remember reading that one guy had done it several times!

Users are sometimes our own worse enemies. Sure I wanted to know which I had and it was the LG. Guess what? Never had a single issue with it. They were supposedly susceptible to screen burn in but I never saw any.

Knowing what version you have is great in case there is a recall but I can see millions of users who are still within their return period running back to Apple and exchanging their phone 10 times trying to get one with the TSMC chip..
I can understand the apprehension, though. Exchange it before running into the problem, for fear that the problem doesn't manifest itself until after the return/exchange period where it becomes a warranty/discretion thing

That reminds me. I don't know if they had multiple suppliers for the iPad mini 2 display or anything, but I had severe image retention problems on mine, several replacements later and they were all the same, to the point I gave up on the mini 2. The mini 3 at the stores were all burned in / retaining as well. I wonder if they've fixed that in the mini 4 yet.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks. I just installed the app they linked and I've got a TSMC N71mAP chip.
Looks great Europa! I was worried about going from a 6plus to an6s cause of battery life, I was spoiled, but I have to say, the 6s has exceeded my expectations on battery life, it also charges fast!

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I can understand the apprehension, though. Exchange it before running into the problem, for fear that the problem doesn't manifest itself until after the return/exchange period where it becomes a warranty/discretion thing
Agreed!

My plan, knowing that I had the LG screen, was not to exchange it several times in the hopes of getting the Samsung screen. If I had an issue I would have had Apple replace the screen and at that point I would have demanded the Samsung version.

Apple is, and has always been, very accommodating and I have no doubt they would have honored my request. iPads and iPhones are a bit different though as they will hand you a replacement on the spot whereas a Macbook will be repaired.

I see both sides here. Apple does not want millions of phones returned by people wanting the TSMC chip and the consumer wants the best chip they can get. Apple, I guess, put themselves in this situation by using different chips but my guess is that they didn't have a choice if they wanted to keep up with demand..