iPhone 6s iPhone 6s Uses Different-Sized A9 Chips From Samsung and TSMC

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
My Samsung chip does great. No battery complaints here.
View attachment 43244
Dang. I know that's a 6s plus, instead of a 6s, and I know Downcast has a battery killer bug in it right now, but I'm dreaming of numbers like yours. (that's a pretty cool screenshot stitcher, btw, very handy!)

I forgot to plug in on the way to work/at work, now I'm gonna have to plug in at lunch, which makes me look super dorky

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444405322.608417.jpg

I wish I had a convenient excuse, but I'm rocking the TSMC chip :(

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Dang. I know that's a 6s plus, instead of a 6s, and I know Downcast has a battery killer bug in it right now, but I'm dreaming of numbers like yours. (that's a pretty cool screenshot stitcher, btw, very handy!)

I forgot to plug in on the way to work/at work, now I'm gonna have to plug in at lunch, which makes me look super dorky

View attachment 43260

I wish I had a convenient excuse, but I'm rocking the TSMC chip :(
Yeah, I like Tailor. It does good. I've found several uses for it.
Must be the Downcast.?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yeah, I like Tailor. It does good. I've found several uses for it.
Must be the Downcast.?
Yeah, they posted a known issue about this being in the last few versions. They must have some kind of CPU keep alive bug that's keeping the processor cranking at full speed or something (I guess I'm really fortunate I don't have the Samsung A9!).

That's the main reason that I haven't returned the phone yet. I don't know how much of an impact this bug is having on my battery life (would I normally be getting 6:15 because 25% of 5 is 1:15? or would I be getting something more like 8?)

if I can get at least 8 hours out of the charge, then that should get me through lunch even if I forget to plug in, and if I can't even get that, then I'll talk to Apple and get them to build me a nice big brick battery phone

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
You don't like Low Power Mode? I've tried it a few times and the phone's still pretty darn fast.
It cuts out email fetch/push and forces auto lock to 30 seconds, both pretty annoying to me. I'll try it again and see if I can stand it. If I could use a custom low power mode that lets me pick what low power options to use, that'd be ideal. The low power menu on my HTC One lets me choose whether low power mode cuts down CPU speed, data connection, etc.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Ars Technica compared the battery life of two iPhone 6s units (one phone with the Samsung-manufactured A9, and the other, obviously, with TSMC's version), and found that the results "lined up pretty much exactly with the statement Apple provided."

Still, their tests were performed on only two iPhones. Be sure to read the "Limitations of the tests" section of their article.

As Anandtech's excellent article (shared earlier in the thread by @fury) explains, there are many more factors in play, such as in the "silicon lottery" concept explained in that article.

Lastly, it might be worth mentioning that an update in Anandtech's article informs us that Geekbench 3.4 has made it through the iOS App Store approval process, adding the ability for Geekbench to tell which processor is in your iPhone 6s or 6s Plus.

Last edited:

Bojan

Oct 17, 2015
I think you misunderstood that. It was a joke. Humor is one of the aspects that makes forums fun to visit.
I know, I was trying to convey that I've got a Samsung chip and my short battery lived feelings were hurt

Sent from my iPhone using the Force alone.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Consumer Reports has performed thorough testing of iPhone 6s units containing CPUs manufactured by both Samsung and TSMC and "found no appreciable differences in battery life or temperature between the iPhones 6s models with the varying chips." Their tests were performed "in the controlled environment of our Radio Frequency Isolation chamber, which blocks stray signals." However, they used only one sample of each, so some may choose to argue that the sample size of units tested is not large enough.

These results are in line with those of previous testing performed by various technology news sites, such as Ars Technica.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
@Rafagon Hey there buddy, you are not alone. I have a 6s+ with 128GB and the Samsung A9 Chip. I've been noticing after the last 9.0.2 update that my battery life has not been as it was before this update. I figured it was because I'm listening to Music on my iPhone using the stock earbuds while commuting and I have to turn the volume up loud. :rolleyes:

Well, after reading all this, I'm thinking that is not the case. It's not like I commute for four hours. My commute is an hour and 1/2 tops with plenty of pausing my music because of having to listen to announcements or talking. I though the new update was not helping but that might not be the case at all.

Oh well. If there has to be a swap out eventually, I'll do it. I want the best performance I can get. (y)

Reactions: Rafagon

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I appreciate your camaraderie! I'm quite proud of my Sammy, as you can see by my current avatar.

Here's an alternate version made by our friend @Ledsteplin :

View attachment 43354

I say we Samsung folks all meet up in Paris and throw a fabulous party, and not invite the TSMC people! :D
@Rafagon :laugh2: OH JOY!! That is nice. I wondered what the new avatar was all about, now I know. However, while I'm proud of my ownership of my iPhone 6s+ I will not big up the tiny enemy inside:whistle:. LOL!! Samsung:( SMH.

Well, maybe that's mean:(. However, the sooner, if ever, Apple can stop their connection with Samsung the better(y).

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
However, the sooner, if ever, Apple can stop their connection with Samsung the better(y).
We are both in luck. According to this article (which I posted elsewhere on eiC), future iPhone SoCs may be coming not from Samsung, not from TSMC, but from Intel. Intel reportedly has 1000 people working on that chip, which will integrate the LTE modem right into the CPU.

Now, there's a company whose chips I would love to have beating inside my iPhone, giving it life.

PS: The article I linked to, above, is somewhat long, but I found it to be a great read.

Reactions: Sharunda