iPhone battery life

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
If there's something wrong with everyone's battery who's complaining, that isn't a "defective battery", that's a "edited" by Apple and would demand a massive re-call, ultimately devastating their sales and reputation.
Yeah but it is more likely people like yourself just don't know what they are doing.

megaphore

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
maybe it's a matter of going through a few charge cycles? My battery gets almost 6 hours of HEAVY use each charge. When I first got it I onlt got about 4 and some change but now after going through a few charge and discharge cycles I get almost 6 and that lasts me all day. Last time I discharged it down to 10% left my Usage stats were 5 hours and 49 minutes and my standby time was 13 hours and 17 minutes. During the day I watched 3 video podcasts which run about 45 min each (dl.tv), made 3 voice calls roughly 27 minutes combined. Had wifi on the whole time, surfed the internet about 3 hours of the day showing if off to tons of people, checked my e-mail a ton of times and wrote 8 e-mails deleted a ton more, and watched 3 utube flicks and listened to under an hour of an audiobook. I usually tap the top screen off button when i'm not using it and when i'm listening to audiobooks but other then that my brightness is way up and my volume is about in the middle so I'm really happy with it's performance.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
Yet all I hear is people lying and saying they sent 1 email and their battery went to 10% left in 2 hours.
Show me where one person in this thread said this. Why don't you quit talking out of your ass and actually read peoples posts.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
What the hell are you talking about?
I am talking about you and your comments about the battery.

You haven't contributed anything useful to the discussion other than to complain like a schoolgirl and say dumb things like you have to turn your brightness down to get any decent battery life.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
maybe it's a matter of going through a few charge cycles? My battery gets almost 6 hours of HEAVY use each charge.

That is my suspicion. That you need to get some charges under your belt before it starts sticking.

Today I am at 3 hours of usage and over 13 hours of standby and I am still at 70%-75% battery left.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
I am talking about you and your comments about the battery.

You haven't contributed anything useful to the discussion other than to complain like a schoolgirl and say dumb things like you have to turn your brightness down to get any decent battery life.
The battery life that Apple claims is not attainable unless you make some adjustments to the phone-this is obvious. I spent 500 dollars on the phone, I have every right to complain.

That is my suspicion. That you need to get some charges under your belt before it starts sticking.

Today I am at 3 hours of usage and over 13 hours of standby and I am still at 70%-75% battery left.
lol-no other battery has this characteristic. It's almost as if you keep making excuses about the flaws the phone has and you somehow put some fairy tale story around it. Why can't you just admit that the battery life isn't what is advertised, or you could look at this.http://solution.allthingsd.com/20070626/the-iphone-is-breakthrough-handheld-computer/

Mossberg states that the battery life is lower than they advertise, or at least that's what he experienced.

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Auto Brightness should be on.

From Users manual:

Screen brightness affects battery life. Dim the screen to extend the time before you need to recharge iPhone. Or use Auto-Brightness, which is designed to conserve battery life.​
If Auto-Brightness is on, iPhone adjusts the screen brightness for current light conditions.

LESLIEx317537

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I think the battery life is good for something with such a bigscreen WiFi and bluetooth. It has 3 transmitting and receiving devices.

Plus it has a touchscreen to power. I think all these things stress the battery life, but still it lasts longer than most laptops.

Cycling will definitely help. Who knows how long these things have been sitting while being shipped and packed etc...

Also turning email checking to 1 hour or manual will help preserve batt life also if that wasn't mentioned.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The battery life that Apple claims is not attainable unless you make some adjustments to the phone-this is obvious. I spent 500 dollars on the phone, I have every right to complain.

lol-no other battery has this characteristic. It's almost as if you keep making excuses about the flaws the phone has and you somehow put some fairy tale story around it. Why can't you just admit that the battery life isn't what is advertised, or you could look at this.http://solution.allthingsd.com/20070626/the-iphone-is-breakthrough-handheld-computer/

Mossberg states that the battery life is lower than they advertise, or at least that's what he experienced.
As is typical with most devices that use rechargeable batteries. Mossberg didn't exactly pan the iPhone for its battery life:

"Battery life: Like the iPod, but unlike most cellphones, the iPhone lacks a removable battery. So you can’t carry a spare. But its battery life is excellent. In our tests, it got seven hours and 18 minutes of continuous talk time, while the Wi-Fi was on and email was constantly being fetched in the background. That’s close to Apple’s claim of a maximum of eight hours, and far exceeds the talk time claims of other smart phones, which usually top out at five and a half hours.
For continuous music playback, again with Wi-Fi on and email being fetched, we got over 22 hours, shy of Apple’s claim of up to 24 hours, but still huge. For video playback, under the same conditions, we got just under Apple’s claim of seven hours, enough to watch four average-length movies. And, for Web browsing and other Internet functions, including sending and receiving emails, viewing Google maps and YouTube videos, we got over nine hours, well above Apple’s claim of up to six hours.
In real life, of course, you will do a mix of these things, so the best gauge might be that, in our two-week test, the iPhone generally lasted all day with a typical mix of tasks."

Bold/italicized text is mine.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
As is typical with most devices that use rechargeable batteries. Mossberg didn't exactly pan the iPhone for its battery life:

"Battery life: Like the iPod, but unlike most cellphones, the iPhone lacks a removable battery. So you can’t carry a spare. But its battery life is excellent. In our tests, it got seven hours and 18 minutes of continuous talk time, while the Wi-Fi was on and email was constantly being fetched in the background. That’s close to Apple’s claim of a maximum of eight hours, and far exceeds the talk time claims of other smart phones, which usually top out at five and a half hours.
For continuous music playback, again with Wi-Fi on and email being fetched, we got over 22 hours, shy of Apple’s claim of up to 24 hours, but still huge. For video playback, under the same conditions, we got just under Apple’s claim of seven hours, enough to watch four average-length movies. And, for Web browsing and other Internet functions, including sending and receiving emails, viewing Google maps and YouTube videos, we got over nine hours, well above Apple’s claim of up to six hours.
In real life, of course, you will do a mix of these things, so the best gauge might be that, in our two-week test, the iPhone generally lasted all day with a typical mix of tasks."

Bold/italicized text is mine.
Apparently other people are experiencing less battery life than he did.

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I've got the screen brightness kicked UP a notch and I'm getting excellent battery life. I used it for a total of 3 hours 52 minutes yesterday (the iPhone tracks usage between full charges) between watching a movie, listening to two podcasts, some music, some web browsing (both WiFi and EDGE), E-mail and, of course, a few actual telephone calls. I still had about 45% of the battery left when I got home.

One thing I don't do is have the phone automatically fetch E-mail. I have it set for manual check. I don't get so much E-mail that I need to fetch it every 5, 10 or even every 30 minutes. I just fetch it when I fire up the Mail App. If you've got it set for automatic, it's just wasting battery every time it checks mail when there's nothing there.

Mark

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I've recharged my phone with teh wall plug last night and I disconnected at 7am this morning. Im still FULL. Looks like this may of helped!

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Keep in mind that, if you leave the iPhone connected via USB to the computer, and the computer goes to sleep, the iPhone is NOT being charged. And, if in fact the iPhone is asleep (vs. completely off), the battery will actually drain while it sits there. USB ports are shut down during sleep.

Mark

Starfire

Jul 4, 2007
I've been having great battery life, but I keep my brightness down and I have no problem seeing the screen at about 1/3 brightness in any condition, so maybe that helps.

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
It's almost 4pm and my battery life is at 7/8's. Looks like the wallplug recharge helped. I also turned off the WiFi and set it to manual. I also set the brightness back to auto. I was worried a bit there, but now those worries are gone :)

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I got 5 Hours and 20 minutes of Usage and 10 hours of standby time before the Low Battery warning came on, I also synced 3 or 4 times for about 5 minutes each after the full charge. I had Wifi on for about 5 hours and played maybe 30 minutes of music through the speaker. E-mail is set to check every 30 minutes.

All in all, I wish the phone would of at least lasted a full day instead of a low battery warning at 9 P.M. when I unplugged it around 10 A.M. I do realize however that I played with it quite a bit today.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I got 5 Hours and 20 minutes of Usage and 10 hours of standby time before the Low Battery warning came on, I also synced 3 or 4 times for about 5 minutes each after the full charge. I had Wifi on for about 5 hours and played maybe 30 minutes of music through the speaker. E-mail is set to check every 30 minutes.

All in all, I wish the phone would of at least lasted a full day instead of a low battery warning at 9 P.M. when I unplugged it around 10 A.M. I do realize however that I played with it quite a bit today.
It will last all day and then some if you just turn WiFi off when you're not using it. I'm on Day 2, and it will need to go in the charger tonight, but it hasn't been charged since sitting on the doc all night Thursday.

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I am not complaining about the iPhone at all. The not being able to delete multiple email thing bothers me a little bit, but not enough to return the phone. My thing is that I charge my phone all night, and when I wake up in the morning it's full. But, I barely have enough battery power left by the time I get home from work. I have never had this problem before. Is my battery defective, or am I doing something wrong with my settings? My treo 700wx or anyother phone I've used before, allowed me to maybe get by without charging my phone at all for a day. I read all the specs, and the battery life was supposedly better than my treo. Anyone has a solution?
In my opinion, DO NOT CHARGE IT OVER NIGHT! All you do is mess up the memory of the battery. Just carry the charger with you or charge it in the morning. You shouldn't have to charge it more than 3-5 hours.
If you are experiencing problems try this:
Run the battery down until it completely shuts off (for me this took a full day and a half of constant usage). After 5%, it should not be able to turn on. Now let it charge (preferably without usage) for at least 3 hours straight. Do not unplug it until it is fully charged. You now should have the battery memory back to its optimal amount.

But don't leave it plugged in overnight just for the heck of it.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/