iPhone battery life

nonu54

Jul 3, 2007
i heard you should let it drain all the way but let it charge when it reaches 50%. Im soo confused.....

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
This is a quote on the proper care a feeding of lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries:

Now, PAY ATTENTION. The dedicated batteries that fit in your laptop, your new Razr, iPod, and similar appliances — the ones that are specially shaped to fit in only that appliance — are almost certainly Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer. Look at the label on the battery. If they are either of those types, they need to be treated the exact opposite of NiMH.

Lithium-based rechargeables like frequent recharging. They are very happy being plugged into the car charger, carried around for a few hours, and plugged back in when you get home. They should be completely discharged only when absolutely necessary. They are not subject to memory imprinting, and perform best when charged frequently and completely. The exception to this is the first time the battery is used. They should be fully charged the first time, then discharged completely — one time. After that, charge early and often.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
You read different things when it comes to this stuff and it can be confusing.

I've had a decent amount of success not thinking about it too much - LOL - seriously. My camera batteries (Lithium) are run until they die and then recharged... and I've never had an issue. My MacBook is plugged in a lot, and only run down completely once every month or two. It still functions just fine. no problems with any of the 3 iPod in the house, and two of them are nearly always plugged in... but when they're not they seem to work just fine. We TRY to remember to run them down once in a while, but don't always.

Lithium Ion are much more resilient than the old NIMH batteries were (we all remember the old rules from our first chordless phone days). You have to forget all that NIMH stuff and really, just don't think about it. Set yourself a calendar reminder on your iPhone (hehe) to run it down once every month or two, like Apple suggests, and the rest of the time stick it on the charger as often as you like.

CLOUDHOPPER

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I'm only getting about 4 1/2 hours of actual usage on the phone. It seems a bit low to me. I'm usually working with emails, a few text messages, some mild browsing, and about an hour of iPod use at the gym.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I do have wifi on, and there is no wifi at the job, so that is probably my main problem. Anything else?
Your iPhone will use a lot of battery power to search and find a WIFI network.

Wanted to add one thing about the Battery Life, it does not like heat (hot car) it will shorten it's Life.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I'm only getting about 4 1/2 hours of actual usage on the phone. It seems a bit low to me. I'm usually working with emails, a few text messages, some mild browsing, and about an hour of iPod use at the gym.

My battery life exceeds in all areas. Why I was on a phone call four days ago that lasted over 8 hours and surfed the web today for another 7 and I still have 75% and haven't even charged it yet! I guess it sucks to be you ;-)

Seriously, the battery has been a non-issue for me, but I recharge every night....

Now the speaker volume is another story....

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
My battery life exceeds in all areas. Why I was on a phone call four days ago that lasted over 8 hours and surfed the web today for another 7 and I still have 75% and haven't even charged it yet! I guess it sucks to be you ;-)
You were on a call that lasted over 8 hours? Are you a troll? SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU ARE. Stop claiming that you never charged the phone after 4 days of use.. you're very ignorant.. who says "I guess it sucks to be you?" How old are you seriously? You're lame.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
You were on a call that lasted over 8 hours? Are you a troll? SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU ARE. Stop claiming that you never charged the phone after 4 days of use.. you're very ignorant.. who says "I guess it sucks to be you?" How old are you seriously? You're lame.
Busted, I must be a troll. I noticed you didn't call anyone names when they claimed to drive with the top down music at full blast on their SPEAKER PHONE which they had to turn down. Geez....I was making fun. But, my mother-in-law does call me a troll from time to time....

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Solution

If your really having bad battery life problems and its annoying you I have a cheap solution:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/batteryadapter/index.htm

I bought this a while back for my Cingular 8125 and kept it while I had a Cingular 8525, Ive been using for quite a long time and its by far one of the best 22$ investments I've spent for a Cell Phone. Its very small about the size of a iPod video but more depth of course and with duracell batteries you can get up to 6 full charges. I just hook it in when my phone gets low to give me enough juice and I need it to last me so I'm about to get about a month or two use per set of batteries. Fits great in briefcases. Great for planes, Great for road trips :D. Hopes this helps someone. Plus its works with any device that allows you USB powered charging.

Compared to the 8525 though my battery life is great, I had terrible batterylife with that phone :(.

Bakerman

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
PA/USA
No Problems

I have been using my iPhone heavily for more than a week now. I have never even seen it get below 50%. I will let it run down today to see what it would take to get low.

I don't know why I am getting such great battery life while others are not. I suppose there is going to be some variation in the manufacturing process, but this thread makes it sound like there is an issue.

runner7395

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
My battery life has been GREAT! I charged my phone this morning for the first time in 3 days and I still had 50% left on it. It's by far the best battery life of any smart phone that i have ever owned. No complaints at all here.

James6323

Jul 8, 2007
Question

Is there a way to show a percentage of battery life remaining on your iPhone? I know you have the icon and you could just eyeball it, but i was wondering if there was a way to show percentage or remaining talk time....Just a note i purchased my iPhone on thursday and used it all day at work on friday. I showed a lot of people the features and web surfing and the youtube videos. Plus I listened to podcasts all day. By 4:50pm the low battery light came on. So with lots of use it lasted a full "work" day. I was happy with that.

Bakerman

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
PA/USA
Is there a way to show a percentage of battery life remaining on your iPhone? I know you have the icon and you could just eyeball it, but i was wondering if there was a way to show percentage or remaining talk time....Just a note i purchased my iPhone on thursday and used it all day at work on friday. I showed a lot of people the features and web surfing and the youtube videos. Plus I listened to podcasts all day. By 4:50pm the low battery light came on. So with lots of use it lasted a full "work" day. I was happy with that.
No the iPhone does not do that.

onendonlysean

Jul 7, 2007
my battery life is not great, i cant even get it to fully charge, its gets almost all the way and thats it and i cannot read the usage data, i am gonna exchange it tomorrow.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
if your not using wifi leave it off, and if your not ussing blutooth leave that off, and it depends on how much you use the phone's extra stuff liek web, ipod and such.

genexrocket

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
my battery life is not great, i cant even get it to fully charge, its gets almost all the way and thats it and i cannot read the usage data, i am gonna exchange it tomorrow.
don't return it! it seems a lot of people are experiencing this problem as well, including me. This should hopefully be fixed with a software update. btw, my battery life is great now after a few charges and discharges.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I have been monitoring battery life since I got the phone over a week ago and it has been quite good. As has been said, wifi eats battery. Right now the battery meter shows approximately 75% remaining after 14 hours of standby and 2 hours and 30 Min of usage (90% of that has been wifi browsing). The best times I have recorded so far were around 27 hours standby and about 9 hours of use, which I consider to be on par with the specifications.

wsurfn

Jul 10, 2007
Mine is terrible. I bought two phones (one for my wife). Her battery life is good, mine sucks. I have trouble getting wifi signals, she doesn't. Hers had a full battery out of the box, mine need a full charge.

What the heck? I think I may have a dud.