iPhone battery life

vanslam

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
The battery on my iPhone has been pretty good. Today I got some pretty bad performance form the battery, but I think this is due to the fact that my MAC goes to sleep and it stopped charging the iPhone last night. Luckily I had my iPod charger with me. Plugged her in and she was good to go in a little while.

artist

Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Amen brother! I am as upset as you are. I am not upset enough to return the phone. It is an amazing device, BUT the battery life is a serious problem and I don't appreciate being led to believe that it wouldn't be a problem. I thought my Treo's battery life was bad!

Rumpelgeist
DITTO! I never had a problem with any phone I used in the past. I got the iPhone 1 1/2 week ago, and already had it exchanged for another one because the battery only last about 4 hours total.
Also it gets real hot while using it.
Does anyone have the same problem?

I called Apple today I was on the phone for over an hour and they could not figure out the problem they said they would call me back but I am still waiting for the call back.

wsurfn

Jul 10, 2007
Just a follow up on my iPhone:

My WiFi, which initially was great, the reception got weaker and weaker and then absent. My battery life was terrible, until I shut off the WiFi. I brought it to my local Apple store, where the floor guy was unable to pick up a signal as well. He suggested a Genius look at it, but no appointments until the next day. I did all of the soft and hard resets along with a compete restore. No help. I called Apple, and the best they could do was get me in the next day. Ironically, when I took it in, the WiFi reappeared, but the signal was weak. They gave me a new replacement (no questions asked).

My new one is amazing as far as the battery life and the WiFi reception. Night and Day. My 1st one was a dud. It happens.

FWIW

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Just wondering if you guys think that i might have a dud. I have been using my iPhone off a full charge for one day and 6hours of standby and 6 hours of use with about an hour of total talk time. The rest of the time has been spent pretty much on the Internet email and text. Wifi has been on the whole time and now I have 5 percent left. Normal? Thx all

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
thx spammy, but i still feel that this phone drains faster than the other iPhones ive had. I dunno maybe my expectations are too high what do the rest of you guys think? Thx

GSA190

Bronze
Oct 29, 2007
New York
I have noticed that my battery life is a little low and it seems to run down quick. What can I do to increase my battery life? Thanks in advanced. :)

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
turn wifi off when not in use have your email check to off or every hour. I noticed that if I don't use the iPhone my battery life is great. But for real I have been charging it a lot more then usual

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
i wish that they'd make a setting that would allow your phone to automatically conserve battery life when your phone is low. like automatically lowering the brightness all the way or using less processor power or something along the lines of that. i know it would come out handy when youre getting that 20% message...

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
turn wifi off when not in use have your email check to off or every hour. I noticed that if I don't use the iPhone my battery life is great. But for real I have been charging it a lot more then usual
Same here. When the phone is off my battery seems to last forever! J/K - I now seem to be having battery issues to. I will test more today. I was skiing on Sunday and from a full charge, airplane mode, my ipod cut out after only 4 hours of use. I had it in my chest pocket over my two base layers and under the outer shell. I am wondering if the cold sapped the battery much faster then it should have.....

GSA190

Bronze
Oct 29, 2007
New York
I know about all of this turn wi-fi off and all of that stuff. Can I fully charge my phone, then let it die all the way then recharge the whole thing again. Doesn't that increase the battery life?

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
With the Lithium Ion battery there is not suppose to be any type of battery memory, so fully discharging and then recharging will not accomplish anything. That is something from back in the day of Nickle Metal Hydride batteries.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
With the Lithium Ion battery there is not suppose to be any type of battery memory, so fully discharging and then recharging will not accomplish anything. That is something from back in the day of Nickle Metal Hydride batteries.
Actually Ni-Mh don't have a memory either, Nickel Cadmium did. I believe the price we pay for this 'no-memory' ability is we get a less robust battery. Li-Ions actually don't like deep discharges, and have fewer charging/recharging cycles than older styles. I've read that frequent shallow charges that generate less heat (also bad for batteries) are preferred. Based on this, a slower 'trickle charge' will be better than a fast charge.

singlefilerock

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
turn the brightness down all the way
turn off wifi
and also, if youre using the ipod or just not using it at all..PUT IT INTO SLEEP MODE..
something that really annoyed me when i saw my friend using his
he just left it alone without putting it into sleep.
i bet hes still doing that right now =|

oh well..
also, just put it in the dock when youre at your computer
you wont even notice the battery every dying =]

igh0st

Feb 20, 2008
Texas
man I'm glad I found this place...the battery thing was driving me crazy lol. I thought it was just because I use my iPhone way more than I ever used any other phone I had before.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I charged my battery overnight I have a full charge but expect to have 20% with in a few hours due to my no stop use while sitting on my ass waiting for my name to be called at jury Dudy