iPhone Class Action Suit

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
First off everyone should calm down. It's just a phone/ipod/web browser. Once we all get over the infatuation with this little device we can start thinking objectively. Sure Apple is a businesss, they are in it to make money. They provide a great service, and a quality product. Could they do more, yes they could. Unfortunately their competitors aren't offering anything comparable. We could choose not to buy this product, or send it back if we already have. As long as your within the 14 day window. I agree with Tony on a lot of his views as far as service. Service is getting worse, things used to be much simplier. Now kids are spitting in your coke, smacking their gum as they roll their eyes. Unable to anwser a question in a department they work in. Customer service sucks everywhere I go, and it's not my attitude because I'm polite to everyone I meet. Old school values are just plain lost today, most people only care about one person, themselves. Just something from a christian perspective. I said it... "christian" is becoming an offensive word these days...

Feel free to rant and rave about your beloved iPhone, I got one and I love it, but it's not perfect.
what in the HELL are you talking about ..... stay on topic here . this thread isn't about loving the iPhone so much we overlook the drawbacks . this thread is about knowing the drawbacks , buying anyway , not returning it then whining about it with a lawsuit.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
The guy sueing is correct.
And you are as misinformed as him.

The battery DOES NOT need replacing after 300 chargers. After 300-400 FULL charges (meaning charged from completely dead) it loses it's ability to hold a charge of more than 80%. It DOES NOT just die. It is still perfectly usable. Just like any other lithium battery it will very slowly lose it's ability to be charged to full capacity, and after the 300-400 FULL charges, it will cease to be able to be charged above 80%.

People have gotten out of hand with sueing. People have gotten out of hand with thinking they are OWED something. Ya know what? I bet this moron didn't ask even one question when he ran out and bought his iPhone on day one, or in the first week it was out. I bet he did ZERO research. No one MADE him buy an iPhone, and it's certainly not new information that most of the rechargeable portable products Apple makes have batteries that aren't self-replaceable.

I hope this lawsuit causes him a lot of money and aggrevation.

iMac_therefore_iAm

Jul 29, 2007
People Please~~!

"I love the phone, but I really believe the GREED factor played a very high roll here. "

"Think of the money they save by doing this. When will people stop considering these types of corporate schemes as watching out for your best interests be it design aesthetics or what have you, and expose them for what they really are. Greed. How can we make more money on this thing. Like $600.00 wasn't enough. Companies have already thrown service out the window. I'm 54 years old and I'll tell you I miss service.
I'm sorry to quote you tony3d, but i had some things to say and your comments touched a brief portions of this. It is not a personal attack.

PEOPLE PLEASE! I hate to say it but everybody is being a little ridiculous, the product is what it is. You bought it, thus you wanted it, if you didn’t bother to do the research and ask the questions before buying it, return it don’t sue! Last time I checked there is a return policy, you obviously wanted the phone enough to buy it in the first place.

As for battery life, well I’m sorry your disappointed that you can’t change it yourself. BUT please, don’t chock it up to be corporate greed and “corporate America” trying to suck the pennies and dollar bills from your piggy banks. I owned a cell phone once (I still own one but a different one now) and paid $80 for an extended warranty that included battery replacements. So one day I notice my battery performance is way down, I take it in and am extremely inconvenienced to find out that I will have to send in my whole phone. Naturally I rebelled and asked why it wouldn’t be possible to just send a replacement battery. The store apparently wasn’t “equipped” to do such a thing, and when presented with this information what other choice did I have. I sent in my phone, the company gave me a loaner phone to use in the meantime, an incovenience yes, a reason to sue, heck no!

The only reason that a lawyer signed on to do this was because it’s against Apple Inc. and he wants profit off their popularity and recent successes. AND PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DON’T LIKE A PRODUCT SIMPLY DON’T BUY IT! Don’t ***** and complain about how this and that are shitty, and people who do buy a product I’m sure that some of you researched and found out that this was simply the best phone for you. The rest of you who bought it to be cool, to make friends and impress girls, well then what gives you the fucking right to complain, no one forced you to buy it. You thought it would make you cool, popular and downright sexy, and this is true it is a sexy phone, but there have been reviews out on this phone for weeks before it went on sale. All with pro’s and con’s and many alluding to the sealed battery as a con. And what did you do, you said well I could replace my battery and not be the highlight of the party for the week and a half It would take to replace the battery, or not buy it and just be a loser for the rest of my life. Clearly you opted for the former of the two options, so suck it up and take it! You bought the product don’t just jump on the bandwagon of some idiot who thinks that he can sue for whatever he wants.

Speaking of suing for whatever you want, what the ____ is wrong with America, your tearing us apart everybody. What was it first oh right, I remember someone holding a cup of hot coffee between her legs and then suing because it burned her. No crap its hot! What next time you come through the drive through you want me to serve you cold coffee. How about you just use your brain and don’t hold a cup of coffee between your legs. Now everytime I get a cup of coffee I feel like an idiot because I have to read “caution: contents are extremely hot”. And yes I do understand the details of the case, and that McDonalds does brew its coffee about 20 degrees hotter than the other chains. But really, your drinking coffee, its supposed to be hot! And your drinking out of a paper cup, which last time I checked isn’t so study of a container for a hot beverage. Whatever happened to “……. At your own risk” I bet you someone could sue owners of beachfront property for someone drowning because their should have been signs posted stating that there was no life guard on duty, disregarding the fact that they were actually trespassing on the property in the first place to access the beach. I know that there have been successful lawsuits against parking lot owners and operators for stolen cars. EVEN FREE PARKING ONES! If your paying I can understand that you would have some grounds that your paying for a service that wasn’t provided, but a free one?

People please, it isn’t corporate America that is bankrupting the people, it is the people themselves. If every company wasn’t constantly being bombarded with lawsuits and class actions, then they wouldn’t have to charge so much for their products would they. And of course the budget for lawsuits and that cost just gets passed off to consumers like myself who do their research before buying a product, or waiting for a couple months after a product comes on the market and then reading reviews and spending time on forums. ITS CALLED RESEARCH! So excuse me if you waited in line for four days, and then once you got in the store you forgot to ask the specifics and just signed your contract and ran out celebrating in the street. Don’t blame Apple for your lack of dedication to buying a quality consumer product (which I’m sure the iPhone is).

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
What irks me is that these people bringing these bogus suits cost us all more money in higher prices on our products.

Peregrine

Jun 29, 2007
And the way to do that is to not buy the product. See how a free market works?

You don't sue over a known, disclosed, fact. Worse, you don't sue when there has been no indication of a problem other than speculation. Color me disappointed that there are people out there who think you can sue for anything...

1,000 per cent agree with this guy.
You don't sue. You simply don't buy the product.
If Apple would have sold 1,000 iPhones over opening weekend, you damn well better bet they would have figured out why and fixed it.
Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker for nearly enough people.
PLEASE, Mr. Judge, dismiss this lawsuit asap. Ridiculous... all the messed up **** in this world and these people waste all this energy on a freaking battery 'issue'. Imagine what they could accomplish if they were this fired up about our poor school system?!?!?

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
amen

I'm sorry to quote you tony3d, but i had some things to say and your comments touched a brief portions of this. It is not a personal attack.

PEOPLE PLEASE! I hate to say it but everybody is being a little ridiculous, the product is what it is. You bought it, thus you wanted it, if you didn’t bother to do the research and ask the questions before buying it, return it don’t sue! Last time I checked there is a return policy, you obviously wanted the phone enough to buy it in the first place.

As for battery life, well I’m sorry your disappointed that you can’t change it yourself. BUT please, don’t chock it up to be corporate greed and “corporate America” trying to suck the pennies and dollar bills from your piggy banks. I owned a cell phone once (I still own one but a different one now) and paid $80 for an extended warranty that included battery replacements. So one day I notice my battery performance is way down, I take it in and am extremely inconvenienced to find out that I will have to send in my whole phone. Naturally I rebelled and asked why it wouldn’t be possible to just send a replacement battery. The store apparently wasn’t “equipped” to do such a thing, and when presented with this information what other choice did I have. I sent in my phone, the company gave me a loaner phone to use in the meantime, an incovenience yes, a reason to sue, heck no!

The only reason that a lawyer signed on to do this was because it’s against Apple Inc. and he wants profit off their popularity and recent successes. AND PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DON’T LIKE A PRODUCT SIMPLY DON’T BUY IT! Don’t ***** and complain about how this and that are shitty, and people who do buy a product I’m sure that some of you researched and found out that this was simply the best phone for you. The rest of you who bought it to be cool, to make friends and impress girls, well then what gives you the fucking right to complain, no one forced you to buy it. You thought it would make you cool, popular and downright sexy, and this is true it is a sexy phone, but there have been reviews out on this phone for weeks before it went on sale. All with pro’s and con’s and many alluding to the sealed battery as a con. And what did you do, you said well I could replace my battery and not be the highlight of the party for the week and a half It would take to replace the battery, or not buy it and just be a loser for the rest of my life. Clearly you opted for the former of the two options, so suck it up and take it! You bought the product don’t just jump on the bandwagon of some idiot who thinks that he can sue for whatever he wants.

Speaking of suing for whatever you want, what the ____ is wrong with America, your tearing us apart everybody. What was it first oh right, I remember someone holding a cup of hot coffee between her legs and then suing because it burned her. No crap its hot! What next time you come through the drive through you want me to serve you cold coffee. How about you just use your brain and don’t hold a cup of coffee between your legs. Now everytime I get a cup of coffee I feel like an idiot because I have to read “caution: contents are extremely hot”. And yes I do understand the details of the case, and that McDonalds does brew its coffee about 20 degrees hotter than the other chains. But really, your drinking coffee, its supposed to be hot! And your drinking out of a paper cup, which last time I checked isn’t so study of a container for a hot beverage. Whatever happened to “……. At your own risk” I bet you someone could sue owners of beachfront property for someone drowning because their should have been signs posted stating that there was no life guard on duty, disregarding the fact that they were actually trespassing on the property in the first place to access the beach. I know that there have been successful lawsuits against parking lot owners and operators for stolen cars. EVEN FREE PARKING ONES! If your paying I can understand that you would have some grounds that your paying for a servi
hat wasn’t provided, but a free one?

People please, it isn’t corporate America that is bankrupting the people, it is the people themselves. If every company wasn’t constantly being bombarded with lawsuits and class actions, then they wouldn’t have to charge so much for their products would they. And of course the budget for lawsuits and that cost just gets passed off to consumers like myself who do their research before buying a product, or waiting for a couple months after a product comes on the market and then reading reviews and spending time on forums. ITS CALLED RESEARCH! So excuse me if you waited in line for four days, and then once you got in the store you forgot to ask the specifics and just signed your contract and ran out celebrating in the street. Don’t blame Apple for your lack of dedic

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA

PEOPLE PLEASE! I hate to say it ...
Then, don't.

Just because a few people try to take advantage of the law selfishly doesn't mean that every lawsuit is a trivial one. And, just because a few people try to take advantage of the law selfishly doesn't mean that corporate America isn't trying to do the same. Don't let corporate greed go unnoticed just to blame a few selfish attorneys. Now, I don't think Apple is trying to make a profit off battery replacement, but that doesn't excuse every major corporation out there, either.

This particular suit sounds ridiculous to me. I hope it gets thrown out of court. But, things just aren't as black and white as you are making them out to be.

Just a couple of other things - Apostrophes, commas, periods, capital letters; Use them every now and then. Your rants will become more believable if you write as if you are educated.

tony3d

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Then, don't.

Just because a few people try to take advantage of the law selfishly doesn't mean that every lawsuit is a trivial one. And, just because a few people try to take advantage of the law selfishly doesn't mean that corporate America isn't trying to do the same. Don't let corporate greed go unnoticed just to blame a few selfish attorneys. Now, I don't think Apple is trying to make a profit off battery replacement, but that doesn't excuse every major corporation out there, either.

This particular suit sounds ridiculous to me. I hope it gets thrown out of court. But, things just aren't as black and white as you are making them out to be.

Just a couple of other things - Apostrophes, commas, periods, capital letters; Use them every now and then. Your rants will become more believable if you write as if you are educated.
I'm not asking for a lawsuit, just want Apple to reconsider their policies. Other people feel the same way. Read this....http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=a7f68244-b0d9-4e12-bee5-4c757e38efa0&rss=112.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
1st off, people have been lambasting Apple for YEARS over their use of internal batteries for their iPod products, and how far as that gotten them? There are countless other MP3 players on the market, so if having a battery that isn't user changeable is an issue, buy something else. If Ford still offered their cars only in black (and yes, they did this back in the day) would you sue Ford for a red car? No, buy someone else's. I'm glad you're so impressed with the iPhone that you think there is no other phone on the market, but honestly, you have countless other options. If you don't like the design, buy something else.

Now to NY's ridiculous letter to Apple.

The board says the first problem is you have to send the phone away to replace the battery and it costs $79.
I would hope Jobs threw this letter in the trash the moment it arrived. Regardless, did NYC send a letter to Apple asking that they do the same with the iPod? Will NY pay for the design changes? Will NY set phone thickness standards when Apple released their revised iPhone with a new battery system that's user changeable but is thicker than the current iPhone? Most importantly, how many New Yorkers have had to return their 1 month old iPhones for battery swaps already? No kidding, that should be none, unless it was for a defective phone which they could get exchanged at the store.

The board is also speaking out against the $29 fee that's charged for a temporary replacement phone, as well as the 14 day trial period that's offered.
Oh no! They're charging a service fee to have a replacement $600 phone. I mean, c'mon... Apple is obligated to give complete strangers $600 phones that are in short supply for free when they return it for dust under the screen, a scratch, because they dropped it, etc. I think NY would be better off sending letters asking for free stuff to the White House. Let's get some free health care, free food, free rent, free money from the government... screw the iPhone freebies!

As for the 14 day return policy... Humm, did Verizon get a similar letter? They've been doing "14 day exchanges" for years on their phones including expensive ones like the Q ($400 with service agreement when I bought mine). Oh wait, it's more fun to jump on Apple and their recent success, Verizon can get a pass on this one... let's get APPLE!

Finally, the board recommends that Apple drop the 10% restocking fee that's charged when someone returns an iPhone.
Yeah, so we can just let Apple soak up the cost of people returning phones for the most ridiculous of reasons. Some people have returned phones upwards of 6 times for various issues that admittedly could be resolved with a software update. Others are returning their phones endlessly for minor cosmetic flaws... and Apple is suppose to just soak these losses up... I mean, after all, they're not in businesss to make money or anything.

Tell ya what, the next time you buy a car and decide you don't want it after 14 days, see if the dealership will take it back and give you your money back. Why doesn't NY worry about major purchases like cars and the injustices there? Oh, probably because this won't get the idiots in the news.

Again, here's a simple solution: Don't buy one. Vote with your pocket book. If you don't like the cost of the phone, the return policies, the design - don't buy it. How freaking simple could it be?

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I believe one of the main problems here is that everyone continues to base their expectations of this phone with comparisons they have made to other phones. So what if every other phone on the market has a user-replaceable battery? The iPhone is marketed and designed not to be like other cell phones. If this is an area you feel Apple is lacking then, as has been said, don't buy it. If you just have to own one then live with your decision. It's highly unlikely that someone put a gun to your head and forced you to go buy the product the day it came out. You had plenty of time to figure out what the features are, and if the battery is such a big deal to you, you should have done research on it before you spent your hard earned money. Very simple. I don't like the price of replacing the battery, and I hate the "corporate greed" that may have influenced this design tactic. However, buying it was a choice I made. If you don't like the phone then sell it if you have it. Or don't buy it if you don't have it.

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
pot calling the kettle black eh?

Then, don't.

There are more than a "few" attorneys out there that are clogging up the court systems. Your probably to blind to see it, if you think otherwise.

And please don't try to flame others on this board, you should not talk. You have more than a few run on sentences yourself. Check your own first before you jump down somone else. I will not give you the lesson, however wherever you received your education, either you did not pay attention or you should ask for your money back :)

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Lawsuit filed in Chicago over iPhone battery

Lawsuit filed in Chicago over iPhone battery:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/01/businesss/iPhone.php

Apple Faces Mounting Complaints on iPhone Battery:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135310-c,iPhone/article.html

This battery situation is heating up. Would be a great idea if this results in a user replaceable battery in the next model, or a way for current iPhone users to replace their own. What makes this a bigger issue than the ipods is the fact that many use this as their primary phone. Paying all these fees, including a rental fee for another phone is a bit much considering the cost of the iPhone. One can argue and say this was known beforehand, but it's still a huge inconvenience when you have to send your phone in for repair and pay for the inconvenience on top of it. I wonder why they decided to solder the battery in? Even if we were given the tools to replace it, I wouldn't want to mess with something thats soldered in there and take the risk of messing up my $600 plus investment.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Defense attorney: "Is this the box your iPhone came in, sir?"

Plaintiff: "Yes, yes it is."

Defense attorney: "Would it be reasonable to you say you have normal reading comprehension?"

Plaintiff: "Yes!"

Defense attorney: "Then would you please read for the court the text which is highlighted on your iPhone's box?"

Plaintiff: "Uhhh... OK... Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider. Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries."

<laughter>

--
Mike

Nonaspirin

Jul 27, 2007
what in the HELL are you talking about ..... stay on topic here . this thread isn't about loving the iPhone so much we overlook the drawbacks . this thread is about knowing the drawbacks , buying anyway , not returning it then whining about it with a lawsuit.
So if I conform to your particular views then all the iPhone zea lots won't web bash me? Excuse me for having an opinion.

Nonaspirin

Jul 27, 2007

Speaking of suing for whatever you want, what the ____ is wrong with America, your tearing us apart everybody. What was it first oh right, I remember someone holding a cup of hot coffee between her legs and then suing because it burned her. No crap its hot! What next time you come through the drive through you want me to serve you cold coffee. How about you just use your brain and don’t hold a cup of coffee between your legs. Now everytime I get a cup of coffee I feel like an idiot because I have to read “caution: contents are extremely hot”. And yes I do understand the details of the case, and that McDonalds does brew its coffee about 20 degrees hotter than the other chains. But really, your drinking coffee, its supposed to be hot! And your drinking out of a paper cup, which last time I checked isn’t so study of a container for a hot beverage. Whatever happened to “……. At your own risk” I bet you someone could sue owners of beachfront property for someone drowning because their should have been signs posted stating that there was no life guard on duty, disregarding the fact that they were actually trespassing on the property in the first place to access the beach. I know that there have been successful lawsuits against parking lot owners and operators for stolen cars. EVEN FREE PARKING ONES! If your paying I can understand that you would have some grounds that your paying for a service that wasn’t provided, but a free one?

People please, it isn’t corporate America that is bankrupting the people, it is the people themselves. If every company wasn’t constantly being bombarded with lawsuits and class actions, then they wouldn’t have to charge so much for their products would they. And of course the budget for lawsuits and that cost just gets passed off to consumers like myself who do their research before buying a product, or waiting for a couple months after a product comes on the market and then reading reviews and spending time on forums. ITS CALLED RESEARCH! So excuse me if you waited in line for four days, and then once you got in the store you forgot to ask the specifics and just signed your contract and ran out celebrating in the street. Don’t blame Apple for your lack of dedication to buying a quality consumer product (which I’m sure the iPhone is).
Not even reading all this, but since he's supporting iPhonism nobody argues with him "going off topic". Later.

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I like it! (LOL)

True

:cool:

Defense attorney: "Is this the box your iPhone came in, sir?"

Plaintiff: "Yes, yes it is."

Defense attorney: "Would it be reasonable to you say you have normal reading comprehension?"

Plaintiff: "Yes!"

Defense attorney: "Then would you please read for the court the text which is highlighted on your iPhone's box?"

Plaintiff: "Uhhh... OK... Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider. Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries."

<laughter>

--
Mike