iPhone Data Cable Coming Apart

ashwini

Bronze
Jun 2, 2009
India
www.ashwini.co.in
I got my iPhone 3-4 months ago. Now, the data cable is breaking from both the sides and exposing the wires. I can still use the cable but I am scared if I will end up breaking it into two!

Is this covered in the warranty? I don't remember ever handling it roughly.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
I don't think it's covered by the warranty as it's wear and tear and it costs about £12 for a new one. I've got the same problem apart from it's the USB side. Cheap cables ftl :(

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Yeah, I have about three that are bad. It's funny no matter if that white plastic comes off it still charges. But I have extras so I use them when mine got really bad looking.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think it's typical. I have several laying around from all my various Apple devices, none of them are damaged like that. At least they're cheap to replace.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
If I were you, I would put some electrical tape around that to prevent it from ripping anymore. It might look stupid but it will work.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
^ @ 1st post.

My wire is the same, i wouldn't worry too much until it actually falls apart. There cheap to replace so i wouldn't let it concern you.

Get a new one- there's plenty of 3rd party usb-ipod cables out there

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Mines ripped from both ends now.. I might call Apple and either buy or hopefully replace them or free because it's not cheap in Australia - $25. I don't have spares lying around because they are either from the other ipods or the other iPhone..

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Don't pull the plug out by the cable and this won't happen to you :)

Sorry, it's the engineer in me talking...

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I got my iPhone 3-4 months ago. Now, the data cable is breaking from both the sides and exposing the wires. I can still use the cable but I am scared if I will end up breaking it into two!

If it came with the phone it should be covered under warranty. I had my headphones replaced a couple times under warranty.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Don't pull the plug out by the cable and this won't happen to you :)

Sorry, it's the engineer in me talking...
Good advice, Dave. When I was in the Air Force Band, I did a couple of stints on the audio crew. Believe me, those guys were picky as hell about the way their cords and cables were treated. If you even looked at them wrong (the cables), you might have gotten a lecture.

However, it kept our equipment in far better shape for far longer.

I still don't understand why one of my commanders always referred to red duct tape as "rock & roll duct tape," though. :)

tippingpt

Jun 3, 2009
SW Michigan
Same thing happened to me. I bought a new one on Amazon for 1 cent. no joke, and the shipping was $3.00. but mine was a year old already.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC

Same thing happened to mine at the other end -I took it in to the Apple store and it was replaced no questions asked.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
^Really? Too bad the nearest Apple Store for me is miles away :(
Mind you, if I order online, it might be cheaper as petrol is damn right expensive, blame "Golden" Brown.