iPhone Firmware 2.0 Tips and Tricks

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
It doesn't say how to boost "3G" signal strength, it says how to boost "iPhone 3G's" signal strength. Normally people will have better 2G coverage than 3G coverage, so in weak 3G areas it may be better to revert to 2G. It may save battery life as well because the phone isn't struggling for the 3G connection as much.
In some cases you can actually boost the 3G signal by not blocking the area at the base of the phone where the antenna resides. Generally this is where you would hold the phone, but if you pinch it at the top and avoid having your hand around the back you can get 1 - 3 more bars.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
For the record EDGE isn't 2G. We would have been waaaay pissed off a year ago with a 2G iPhone. EDGE is 2.5G.

[/hijack]

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
It doesn't say how to boost "3G" signal strength, it says how to boost "iPhone 3G's" signal strength. Normally people will have better 2G coverage than 3G coverage, so in weak 3G areas it may be better to revert to 2G. It may save battery life as well because the phone isn't struggling for the 3G connection as much.
Yes, that's why I edited with :edit: crap, nevermind. I was thinking you were talking about boosting the 3G signal only.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
For those interested in keeping up with what software has become available through Cydia, I have a list included in this post. I am updating it regularly so you'll always know what's new.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
don't know if it was mentioned (stopped reading after p. 3) but you can now watch music videos in portrait mode...it used to be that a freeze frame of the video would appear. its great for when you have the iPhone docked

overminer

Jul 29, 2008
Back to the original topic of this thread... not sure if this is a new feature to 2.0 or not, but it's new to me:

Double-clicking the home button while the phone is asleep brings up the iPod controls, letting you skip songs or change volume without ever unlocking the phone. Also, double-clicking while the phone is unlocked brings up the phone favorites screen.
You can change this setting under General Settings.

****Of course I just noticed that this was mentioned 3 pages ago. My apologies! *****

Another neat trick...If you are Texting and want to call who you are texting, touch the time on the top bar...you be at the top of the texting string and you can press the call button.

VSpec

Dec 13, 2007
Good info. Just got done with my version 1 phone, but Cydia doesn't seem to wanna work all the time.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here is another one that I don't know if it's listed or not.
If you are playing a movie in the iPod app, and don't like having the volume buttons on the bottom left where they really aren't very accessable, flip it around 180 so they are on top. The movie is now able to play either way! Yes, I am sure someone has mentioned this before, but I couldn't find it, and I am easily amused.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Haven't read through this whole thread, so maybe this has been mentioned but I never knew it. In mail if you hold down the period you will get a .com popup plus .org-.edu. just like in safari.