iPhone Hackers Prosecuted

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
@The Apple

I'm not a lawyer, but I think if a contract has completely unreasonable conditions, it might not hold up in court. In this case, no one is saying that you can get away with not paying your bill or your cancellation fee, so no one will disagree with your rental examples. However, if you buy a car and the contract said that you can't mod your engine (not just that you'll lose your warranty) or that you have to service it only at that dealership, those conditions might not hold in court because it's unreasonable to try to control what you do with your own property other than your financial obligations. And even if they "held" in court, what would the punishment be? You paying the dealer money for moding your own car? Going to jail?

S

Steve Jobs

This issue is not whether the consumer can legally unlock their iPhone (because they can), it is whether it is legal for people to distribute this software for profit or sell unlocked phones for profit. Apple and att have an exclusive contract which i am assuming is why the lawyers have been involved recently. Personally I believe it will be leaked and everyone will get it for free.

FlyersPhanatic9

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
This issue is not whether the consumer can legally unlock their iPhone (because they can), it is whether it is legal for people to distribute this software for profit or sell unlocked phones for profit. Apple and att have an exclusive contract which i am assuming is why the lawyers have been involved recently. Personally I believe it will be leaked and everyone will get it for free.
only a matter of time now