iPhone in pool

Timhea

Bronze
Jul 11, 2010
Try putting it in a baggie filled with rice for about 4 days. About 2 weeks ago my sons 5th gen nano went through a 30 min double rinse wash. After the rice treatment the thing is as good as new. Even the LCD screen shows no water damage. UNBELIEVEABLE!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
If your insurance is anything like here
in the UK , remember you must inform them of any loss , theft or liquid damage within 48 hours of it happening . Read their terms so you can get it replaced ASAP .
I am in the UK, and I did inform them straight away. I informed them before I told my girlfriend I was that convinced they are going to try and squeal their way out of paying me out

I was in a situation a few months ago where I 'lost' precious photos. If you have recently done a backup, you can get the photos from the backup file. Note, any photos not backed up are unrecoverable.
There are a few third party extraction programs out there. I used the one here. I did not buy it, so it limited the number of files to recover to 2 at a time. It takes about 10-15 seconds for each pair of files to be recovered.
Good luck with the photos, it sounds like you're pretty well prepared insurance-wise.
No, thats the problem, didn't back up or sync my phone. Stupid I know, but i didn't think id ever take a swim with it! lol

Can we see some of these important pics... Nude please
No

Try putting it in a baggie filled with rice for about 4 days. About 2 weeks ago my sons 5th gen nano went through a 30 min double rinse wash. After the rice treatment the thing is as good as new. Even the LCD screen shows no water damage. UNBELIEVEABLE!
Tried that, and unfortunately didn't work. I think the difference is i took it swimming whilst it was switched on and it stayed on because I couldnt turn it off which may have fried it. I think iPods have an auto sleep feature?

Anyways, thanks for all your help. Enjoyed the part where the thread was about to break off into the complex discussions of which is better to soak up moisture - rice or corn flakes! :)

Alkali

Bronze
Nov 1, 2010
Nigeria
I will attend with my iPhone broken screen. She is one month pregnant.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

saradalton

Oct 15, 2010
If there is even one drop of water left inside, it can ruin your phone by corroding it and making the wrong contact. Obviously you need to remove as much of the water as soon as possible, to prevent it from easing its way into the phone:

1- Gently wipe off as much water as possible without dropping the phone. Avoid shaking or moving the phone excessively, so as to avoid moving water through it.

2- Wipe down using a towel or paper towel. Ideally, try not to clog the wet paper in the gaps and grooves of the phone. Keep wiping, to gently remove as much of the remaining water as possible.

3- If you pulled the battery out in time, cleaning the inside of your phone with cleaning alcohol (alcohol will displace the water) or contact spray might remedy the problem.

Dry any remaining excess moisture by moving your dry or mitten-clad hand across the surface.

To find out if the phone is truly water damaged, check the corner near where the battery is – there should be a white square or circle, with or without red lines. If this is pink or red, your phone has water damage.

Quickly read the manual to your phone if you're not sure how to remove the battery.

hope this helps :)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Quickly read the manual to your phone if you're not sure how to remove the battery.

hope this helps :)
I think this advice applies to other phones, as the iPhone's battery cant be removed. I am waiting on the insurance company letting me know if they are going to replace it or not. Find out in 2 hours! :(

heatwave16

Mar 29, 2012
Well - my other half dropped her iPhone 4 in our pool on Saturday. We have it sealed in a bowl of rice. The light for the phone is on - like if you were using a flashlight app. Nothing will turn it off.

I'm just wondering if there are any other tips for trying to bring her phone back or if anyone has actually saved their phone this way. I'm hoping it is not a lost cause. She has been waiting for the iPhone 5 - but if her current phone is done - she is going to need a new one now.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If you can get it fast to a place that can take it apart and clean it of the water completely, do it. Otherwise, leaving it in the rice is your best hope.

heatwave16

Mar 29, 2012
i saved my phone in rice just let cover it with rice!
Good to know this actually worked for someone. It has been in and briefly out of the rice for the last 3 days. We've taken it out to check it see if it works, but that's it. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Good to know this actually worked for someone. It has been in and briefly out of the rice for the last 3 days. We've taken it out to check it see if it works, but that's it. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.
It is actually imperative that you not try to use it for the few days that it is sealed with the rice. Trying to use it while there is still water in it could result in more damage. But chances are, if it's been 3 days, the damage that is done is done, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. :(

heatwave16

Mar 29, 2012
:( The only thing that has ever happened is that the light is still on - so we know the battery isn't dead. My honey is going to be so sad that she won't be able to upgrade and get the iPhone 5. It's all she's been talking about for month. Her Apple Care expired in June - so the cost to fix it is the same as the cost for a new phone ~150 - 200.