iPhone in pool

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
:( The only thing that has ever happened is that the light is still on - so we know the battery isn't dead. My honey is going to be so sad that she won't be able to upgrade and get the iPhone 5. It's all she's been talking about for month. Her Apple Care expired in June - so the cost to fix it is the same as the cost for a new phone ~150 - 200.
The Applecare wouldn't have covered water damage anyway. Here's the thing about that $150-200 -- it does not cost you the upgrade. So, what you could do is have them do the out-of-warranty replacement at $150-200 to replace the phone with the exact same model. Then when the new iPhone comes out, sell this one for $300-400 (since it is basically as good as new), and then use the upgrade to buy the new iPhone for little or no money out of pocket.

heatwave16

Mar 29, 2012
The Applecare wouldn't have covered water damage anyway. Here's the thing about that $150-200 -- it does not cost you the upgrade. So, what you could do is have them do the out-of-warranty replacement at $150-200 to replace the phone with the exact same model. Then when the new iPhone comes out, sell this one for $300-400 (since it is basically as good as new), and then use the upgrade to buy the new iPhone for little or no money out of pocket.
That is a great idea. I didn't think about the resell value. Well - as luck would have it - the phone came back to life, but the light is still on. We are going to let the battery run out and see what happens. Fingers crossed everyone. :)

Thanks for all the great advice!

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Get a flashlight app and turn it on the off and see what happens. Also, did you do a hard reset? Hold home and power down until the phone shuts off and hero holding until you see the Apple logo light up.

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
:eek: For an enlightened forum I'm surprised people believe this myth about rice able to miraculously suck water out of an iPhone that's been dropped in water....

I'm not knocking people who take part in the "Rice" ritual and actually get a positive outcome.... but that's the nature of water damaged electrical items, they may work showing no issues..... but is still water damaged....:whistle::)

Any water that's gets trapped inside an iPhone need a fast exit point...by opening the back cover as a start and applying warm air( via hair dryer) to drive any residual moisture out is the the best chance an iPhone has in my book.... just my view....;)

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
myth about rice able to miraculously suck water out of an iPhone that's been dropped in water....
It is a well-known fact that uncooked rice sucks moisture out of the air. It is the same principle as silica gel packs that often come with electronics (i.e. the desiccant / do not eat stuff), only, rice is usually more readily available. Either one results in water evaporating more quickly.

That said, neither rice nor silica gel save it from the minerals that come from most water encounters. But that hair dryer idea is even worse. It will drive the water (and thus the minerals) deeper into the phone and cook the electronics, accelerating their premature failure.

The cleanest, best solution is of course to take it apart and get the water removed & cleaned before it dries, but that is not always possible to do in a jiffy, especially with a pentalobular iPhone 4 which requires that special screwdriver. Electronics engineers are handy to have around, they can do some special ultrasonic or alcoholic cleaning to it.

Reactions: RoofMonkey

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
It is a well-known fact that uncooked rice sucks moisture out of the air. It is the same principle as silica gel packs that often come with electronics (i.e. the desiccant / do not eat stuff), only, rice is usually more readily available. Either one results in water evaporating more quickly.

That said, neither rice nor silica gel save it from the minerals that come from most water encounters. But that hair dryer idea is even worse. It will drive the water (and thus the minerals) deeper into the phone and cook the electronics, accelerating their premature failure.

The cleanest, best solution is of course to take it apart and get the water removed & cleaned before it dries, but that is not always possible to do in a jiffy, especially with a pentalobular iPhone 4 which requires that special screwdriver. Electronics engineers are handy to have around, they can do some special ultrasonic or alcoholic cleaning to it.
We're talking about the time it takes to drive water out of the iPhone......the rice idea supposedly takes days while my "mad" idea with the hair dryer may take minutes... like I said I'm not knocking people who believe in rice power I'm just into hair dryer power...

heatwave16

Mar 29, 2012
Get a flashlight app and turn it on the off and see what happens. Also, did you do a hard reset? Hold home and power down until the phone shuts off and hero holding until you see the Apple logo light up.
The flashlight app was a great idea, but unfortunately did not work.

The phone does work - but the light will not go out. The battery is dead to the point that the screen will not turn on, but the light is still on. I'm leaning towards possession at the moment... ;)

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
The flashlight app was a great idea, but unfortunately did not work.

The phone does work - but the light will not go out. The battery is dead to the point that the screen will not turn on, but the light is still on. I'm leaning towards possession at the moment... ;)
Years back I washed my sons phone (before smart phones)
All I saw was a light in tumbling around ....first I couldn't figure out what it was. I had to wait for the secure doors to unlock (frontloaders)to see what it was. That phone was dead with the light on.
I have no clue how but it was.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
My guess is a short circuit between the LED and the battery, and the battery itself is not fully dead but the motherboard/processor is dead, or has determined that the battery level is too low to safely boot up. Naturally, the processor would normally control whether that path from the LED to the battery was open or closed, but with the water damage, it's probably giving the phone another path through which to shove electricity.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Dropped my phone into my dog's water dish this morning. It was submerged for 2-3 seconds. Grabbed it, got it out of the case, towel dried as much as I could, tried to turn it off a few times and it does turn off but then immediately starts back up. I didn't play around with it too much as I know that's a "no-no" but besides it turning itself on, it appears to be functioning okay. I then put it in a bag of rice right away and plan to leave it there for a few days. I know this is all I can do, but based on the symptoms, what do you think my odds are....? :(

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Had my own run-in with a bowl of water last week. Not a dog bowl, unfortunately, more of the variety that might be featured in one of Nap's threads. Good times were not had but on the bright side I did have my device in a Lifeproof case. Prevention is always the best cure. :D

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Had my own run-in with a bowl of water last week. Not a dog bowl, unfortunately, more of the variety that might be featured in one of Nap's threads. Good times were not had but on the bright side I did have my device in a Lifeproof case. Prevention is always the best cure. :D
I hope it was dropped pre-bathroom businesss! :eek:

GAO

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
Oklahoma
These attempts to dry out iPhones with rice reminds me of my Father's experience in the Navy during WW2. He was a radioman, and as such had to make repairs from time to time. He told me one time the first thing they did with broken electronics was to give them a cleaning by dipping them in water. Of course electronic equipment in that day had tubes, so a repair as often as not was to replace a tube that burned out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
CanadianNemo, as much as you will want too, don't mess with it for the few days. Just leave it in the rice. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
I'm leaving it at work to avoid temptation! Hopefully it will die overnight. I'll charge it Friday and see how it's working after a few days in the rice... :confused: