iPhone push email

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
So far it has been announce that iPhone supports IMAP-Push email. Yahoo is i think the only free service available to consumers currently which is why it is promoting Yahoo email.

Just to clarify, Blackberries are not true "push" email systems, although they offer a similar result. BBs are essentially pull email systems that are constantly scanning. Blackberries rely on the BB network which scans each email account you have regardless of carrier, when a new message is found, BB email network pulls a copy and sends it to your handset. In reality though the difference is hard to tell but yahoo push mail beats BBs any day.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So far it has been announce that iPhone supports IMAP-Push email. Yahoo is i think the only free service available to consumers currently which is why it is promoting Yahoo email.

Just to clarify, Blackberries are not true "push" email systems, although they offer a similar result. BBs are essentially pull email systems that are constantly scanning. Blackberries rely on the BB network which scans each email account you have regardless of carrier, when a new message is found, BB email network pulls a copy and sends it to your handset. In reality though the difference is hard to tell but yahoo push mail beats BBs any day.
Well it seems we have a difference of opinion in crackberry land.:)

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

Good info! I really don't know how it works I just know that it works. I also know that I have no intention of getting a Yahoo account, that is a Spam Magnet waiting to happen. I will stick to my work e-mail, and my home (.Mac) e-mail.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Good info! I really don't know how it works I just know that it works. I also know that I have no intention of getting a Yahoo account, that is a Spam Magnet waiting to happen. I will stick to my work e-mail, and my home (.Mac) e-mail.
IF it works just like my pop3 account at home, I won't be disappointed at all.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
I don't think that people in this thread really understand what Push email is. ps49556n is the only one who got it right.

You can read about Push-IMAP here

Push-IMAP is not limited to Yahoo. Anyone can provide Push-IMAP if they want, it is just that Yahoo will be the first free service to do so.

Even if you don't have a Push-IMAP account regular old standard IMAP will still work. You can probably set your poll interval to be 1 minute and achive nearly the same result.

- SR

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I don't think that people in this thread really understand what Push email is. ps49556n is the only one who got it right.

You can read about Push-IMAP here

Push-IMAP is not limited to Yahoo. Anyone can provide Push-IMAP if they want, it is just that Yahoo will be the first free service to do so.

Even if you don't have a Push-IMAP account regular old standard IMAP will still work. You can probably set your poll interval to be 1 minute and achive nearly the same result.

- SR
We're coming to that conclusion too.;)

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
It's called Yahoo Mobile...they've had this for a while now. You download the Yahoo program on to your cell phone and it has to stay running. It then polls the Yahoo email server and if you have mail it sends it strait to your device. I'm a Crackberry user myself and am pretty spoiled by the whole push deal. I don't love the idea about having to have a Yahoo email account.

Sure I can forward my other email addresses to the Yahoo one but when I'm away from the office or home I can only read them. I can't reply.

But in my opinion, it's just a minor bump, we're all smart enough to figure something out until they all get on the ball on join the push crowd. My bet is GMAIL will be next.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
It's called Yahoo Mobile...they've had this for a while now. You download the Yahoo program on to your cell phone and it has to stay running. It then polls the Yahoo email server and if you have mail it sends it strait to your device. I'm a Crackberry user myself and am pretty spoiled by the whole push deal. I don't love the idea about having to have a Yahoo email account.

Sure I can forward my other email addresses to the Yahoo one but when I'm away from the office or home I can only read them. I can't reply.

But in my opinion, it's just a minor bump, we're all smart enough to figure something out until they all get on the ball on join the push crowd. My bet is GMAIL will be next.
.Mac mail has to be next.

ilLegalBeagle

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
Bottom line...

Unlimited data with ANY of the plans...
POP can be configured to check at any interval you want...
Set it and forget it....

As someone else said eloquently above, POP every 60 seconds will look exactly the same to you and it won't matter to your phone bill (UNLIMITED DATA!).

*whew*

ilLegalBeagle

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Bottom line...

Unlimited data with ANY of the plans...
POP can be configured to check at any interval you want...
Set it and forget it....

As someone else said eloquently above, POP every 60 seconds will look exactly the same to you and it won't matter to your phone bill (UNLIMITED DATA!).

*whew*

ilLegalBeagle
In the how to video I didn't see 1 minute as an option, did you?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I didn't either, I doubt they would offer it due to excess power consumption. THis is why they implemented Push because of its superior technology over POP. THe real "work" is done on Yahoo's part, not on your iPhone. I would be surprised is Gmail didn't switch to push email....I wonder how long the process of upgrading to push takes? .Mac push mail is obviously in the works as well, perfect integraption of different products....

ilLegalBeagle

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
In the how to video I didn't see 1 minute as an option, did you?
I don't profess to know something someone else doesn't... But do you think the only way to change the communication settings on the iPhone is through the sync process? That just doesn't make sense. Every PDA I've ever owned had its own settings for those kinds of things. Otherwise, how would we ever be able to make any changes at all on the phone's email settings? The screens for the sync process were pretty spartan. If those are the only things you can change on the iPhone, then everyone will be really irritated.

ilLegalBeagle