iPhone push email

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I know on other devices like the Treo (barf!) you can only tell it to check like every 10-15 min...and it taxes the crap out of the battery. Gotta have the PUSH!

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I think it is worth every penny of the $99 personally.
I used to think it was overpriced but after using the free trial, I was hooked. It's probably not worth it if you have only one Mac but it becomes really handy if you're into syncing up your bookmarks, contacts, calendars, etc. I've looked into 3rd party (free) solutions and even if you run your own server, it's hard to beat the integration and ease of use. Basically it's three clicks to set it all up.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I don't profess to know something someone else doesn't... But do you think the only way to change the communication settings on the iPhone is through the sync process? That just doesn't make sense. Every PDA I've ever owned had its own settings for those kinds of things. Otherwise, how would we ever be able to make any changes at all on the phone's email settings? The screens for the sync process were pretty spartan. If those are the only things you can change on the iPhone, then everyone will be really irritated.

ilLegalBeagle
It showed the e-mail settings in the how to video I just didn't see an option less than 15 minutes. I was saying the iPhone won't allow you to change settings.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Until Gmail supports push I will probably end up getting a yahoo account and having all my addreses forwarded there. Not worried at all about spam as I know family members who use the service with no problems.

ilLegalBeagle

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
It showed the e-mail settings in the how to video I just didn't see an option less than 15 minutes. I was saying the iPhone won't allow you to change settings.
You are correct! Somehow, I missed that in the Guided Tour. Maybe I was so giddy about actually seeing the thing in action that I didn't take notice of those settings screens. I went back to that and watched it to refresh my memory.

I apologize profusely! I did not realize the menu had been shown in that much detail, owing to my lack of focus or distraction due to my wife walking around the house in her underwear. SOMETHING must have distracted me...

Maybe we'll get a software update that lets us manually set the interval.

ilLegalBeagle

hookem

Jun 26, 2007
A little off topic

Sorry this is a little off topic but it isn't something that I have been able to find anywhere....

Is there going to be a specific email address for my iPhone? For example, I have a blackberry email address that is blahblah@mycingular.blackberry.net. I have all of my work email redirected to that email since we aren't setup to use the exchange server. Just wondering if the iPhone is going to have something similar?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Sorry this is a little off topic but it isn't something that I have been able to find anywhere....

Is there going to be a specific email address for my iPhone? For example, I have a blackberry email address that is blahblah@mycingular.blackberry.net. I have all of my work email redirected to that email since we aren't setup to use the exchange server. Just wondering if the iPhone is going to have something similar?

No because you arent getting a blackberry account, you need to use existing email service.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007

i can see this as happening (xyz@yahoo.iPhone.com). especially, since you're getting a yahoo push account with your iPhone.

i'm still trying to figure out what i'm going to do with my many email addresses. (gmail, hotmail, yahoo). i'm thinking to have them all forwarded on to yahoo and then having yahoo pushed onto my iPhone. for those that know, is this an option?

also, if i reply to a message that was sent from my hotmail account (via yahoo), will the email say that it was sent from yahoo or hotmail? thanks.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
i can see this as happening (xyz@yahoo.iPhone.com). especially, since you're getting a yahoo push account with your iPhone.

i'm still trying to figure out what i'm going to do with my many email addresses. (gmail, hotmail, yahoo). i'm thinking to have them all forwarded on to yahoo and then having yahoo pushed onto my iPhone. for those that know, is this an option?

also, if i reply to a message that was sent from my hotmail account (via yahoo), will the email say that it was sent from yahoo or hotmail? thanks.

Who ever said you are "getting" a yahoo account "with" the phone? Have you confirmed this anywhere? All my research has told me this is untrue (also, you are the first I have heard say this). Why would they mac a separate domain (yahoo.iPhone.com)? it just sounds dumb. Anyone can use yahoo.com for free push email, its not like it is exclusive to iPhone buyers.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Yahoo and Gmail are able to check other POP mail accounts so you could have everything "popped" off the server at Yahoo then forward them to the iPhone.

if i reply to a message that was sent from my hotmail account (via yahoo), will the email say that it was sent from yahoo or hotmail? thanks.
Depends on how you have it setup to check the mail. As it is in Apple's Mail (and I'm sure the iPhone follows similar suit), it lets you pick which e-mail address you want to send from (while you're composing the message) if you have multiple accounts setup.

If you have Yahoo concatenate all your mail in one spot you won't be able to do that (unless you change the "Reply-To" address each time.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
Who ever said you are "getting" a yahoo account "with" the phone? Have you confirmed this anywhere? All my research has told me this is untrue (also, you are the first I have heard say this). Why would they mac a separate domain (yahoo.iPhone.com)? it just sounds dumb. Anyone can use yahoo.com for free push email, its not like it is exclusive to iPhone buyers.
your research sucks....watch the keynote.

it's been common knowledge for ohhhh 6 months.

i used the yahoo.iPhone.com as an hypothetical.