how did it get stolen at school? p.e./athletics?
if this happened to me, this is what i would do.
1. call the phone a million times until either someone picked up, changed the voicemail to their name(it happens, trust me), or turned the phone off(meaning it not just goes straight to voicemail).
2. i would call the school to see if anyone has turned one in. when i was like in 3rd grade i lost my Mickey Mouse watch and someone actually turned it in, and i'm wearing it right now.
3. if that was a no go, then i would go online and look at the recent calls. if there had been recent calls made, i would spam those numbers until someone coughed up the information(i would basically threaten them somehow until i got what i needed to know. i mean come on, it's a freaking iPhone, i will get it back at any cost[except money of course])
4. i would continue to check the calls for a day or so, and if i saw that it was going to cost me money, then i would cancel it.
5. i would also call my credit card company and see if they could do anything for me(i don't know if this actually works but, it's a shot)
6. if after a week i didn't find it, i would buy another iPhone or just use some cheap-ass one until iPhone II. i doubt i would really spend that money again, because i would be REALLY pissed off, at both myself and the thief that took it.