iPhone V1 > iPhone 3G

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
The screen is better
The data plan is cheaper
The battery last's longer
Signal is stronger
Plus it is not made with cheaper materials.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
The screen is better
The data plan is cheaper
Signal is stronger
until you have actually used a 3g without looking at a old v1 the screen is a lot nicer and is better in the sunlight and easier on the eyes and is way more brighter

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
The screen is better
The data plan is cheaper
Signal is stronger

The Screen is the exact same...just made it warmer so you don't feel like your staring into a fluorescent bulb

The battery CAN last the same if you apply all the settings you would have on your v1 (i.e. turn 3g off)

Signal is the same if your on Edge and if you don't have 3g in your area you have no businesss getting a 3g phone

Cheaper Materials = Cheaper price tag....works for me

And finally the data plan is cheaper...but your getting faster speeds so its like comparing Dial-up prices to Broadband prices

oh and we have GPS...with Telenav turn by turn coming soon

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i forgot to add that our 3g signal is stronger because we have plastic and i know theres a difference with wifi and the network because i can go outside farther and inside with better results.

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
The Screen is the exact same...just made it warmer so you don't feel like your staring into a fluorescent bulb

The battery CAN last the same if you apply all the settings you would have on your v1 (i.e. turn 3g off)

Signal is the same if your on Edge and if you don't have 3g in your area you have no businesss getting a 3g phone

Cheaper Materials = Cheaper price tag....works for me

And finally the data plan is cheaper...but your getting faster speeds so its like comparing Dial-up prices to Broadband prices

oh and we have GPS...with Telenav turn by turn coming soon
1.) Isn't the screen a more yellow color, not "warmer" as you describe?

2.) So the battery will last longer if you TURN OFF 3G? Then why get an iPhone 3G?

3.) I actually agree with you here...

4.) I'm sorry but I think quality over quantity always wins, but that's just my opinion. If you want a "cheap" iPhone, then why didn't you go with another carrier and iPhone clone with a better plan?

5.) No the iPhone 3G plan is more expensive, plain and simple. Paying for more internet mobile speed is kind of ironic right? You're paying broadband prices for mobile internet with an internal wireless broadband device already inside. Am I missing something?

6.) I can't help but laugh at your last point. "Coming soon" huh? Just how soon exactly? Like a year away like the rest of the apps that just recently came out? Welcome to being an iPhone user. Stuff like that comes slowly, very slowly actually. You won't get stuff like that until the iPhone 3.0 4G lol.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com

2.) So the battery will last longer if you TURN OFF 3G? Then why get an iPhone 3G?

4.) I'm sorry but I think quality over quantity always wins, but that's just my opinion. If you want a "cheap" iPhone, then why didn't you go with another carrier and iPhone clone with a better plan?

5.) No the iPhone 3G plan is more expensive, plain and simple. Paying for more internet mobile speed is kind of ironic right? You're paying broadband prices for mobile internet with an internal wireless broadband device already inside. Am I missing something?

6.) I can't help but laugh at your last point. "Coming soon" huh? Just how soon exactly? Like a year away like the rest of the apps that just recently came out? Welcome to being an iPhone user. Stuff like that comes slowly, very slowly actually. You won't get stuff like that until the iPhone 3.0 4G lol.

1. Yellow = Warmer... you'd know that if you studied your color chart in school...

2. Let me get into a little more detail here... in order to conserve battery turn the 3g off when you aren't using things such as safari or the applications that require 3g... if your just texting or using the phone there's no point in having 3g on

3. We agreed lol

4. The 3g is in no means a cheap phone... the backing may be plastic but its still VERY durable... in fact my v1 felt cheaper than the 3g plus it looks better

5. Yes your missing the fact that there isn't always a wifi hot spot around... so the wifi chip is pretty much rendered useless at that moment in time... the speed differences are VERY noticeable... so arguing that was just ignorant...

6. Wasn't really meant as a point just something i thought i'd throw that in there as the nail in the coffin if you will... and id say within the next 3 months it'll be on the app store

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas

Ugh, people who don't have an iPhone 3G aren't allowed to talk about its flaws...

1) No. The screen does not look yellow at all. I would have never thought that if I hadn't read it online somewhere like you did, and even after I read it, I still don't look at my screen and see yellow.

2) People are complaining about the battery life because 1) the battery hasn't gone through enough charge cycles to reach full capacity, and 2) they must be playing with their new phones like crazy. I use mine all day long at work and I come home with 50% battery remaining.

3) Even when I have "one bar" in a 3G area, I can still load websites quickly and hear voice calls clearly.

4) The iPhone 3G is not cheaper than the V1 iPhone. For one thing, it will cost you a lot more to own the 3G than it cost to own a V1 because of the more expensive data plan and the mandatory 2-year contract. For another, without being "upgrade eligible," the 8 GB iPhone still costs $399 and the 16 GB $499. AT&T has announced plans to release the iPhone 3G without a contract at some point in the future for even more money, presumably $599 and $699.

Apple is still getting all the money with sales of the 3G that they were getting from sales of the V1. The only argument there is for the 3G being "cheaper" is the plastic back. However, it can be just as easily argued that the plastic back feels better, looks better, allows for better signal, and is more scratch-proof than the metal on the V1.

5) I'm sure he meant to say "more expensive." If you look at the context, I think that's what he meant to say.

6) GPS is already amazing. I'm pretty sure that Garmins and TomToms have screens on them that you LOOK at when you're driving, so I don't see why people are making such a huge deal about having to look at your iPhone every now and then to make sure you're in the right place. It makes a nice little purple line, and as long as your little blue dot is on that line, you're going the right way. Or you could just glance at which street you're supposed to turn at and remember the name, rather than having to be read to like a 5-year-old.

However, he's right in saying that better navigation applications are coming. Apple opened up the development of software months ago, and they opened it up to even more developers recently. Thus, your argument that Apple is slow to make improvements is irrelevant because it's not up to Apple anymore. Hundreds of thousands of developers who don't work for Apple are making applications. I really do believe they'll come up with something soon.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
I think both phones have their ups and downs, but I really think that everyone in this thread should maybe calm down a little bit. It's about sharing opinions, not disrespecting each other. I hate to sound like a suck-up or anything, but it really bugs me when people get into trivial arguments such as these. Both phones are great. Plain and simple. If you prefer the iPhone, post in the "iPhone" thread on the reasons why. If you like the 3G, post in the "iPhone 3G" and tell us why. :)

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
The screen is better
The data plan is cheaper
Signal is stronger
1. not really
2. for a faster service...
3. only with 3G on
4. doubt it
5. whats cheaper besides the back?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
GPS is not an advantage on the 3g. It sucks up the battery. v1 iPhones pretty much have GPS already---just go to maps, hit "current location" and wah-laa, a circle appears and it's pretty accurate.

Plus somebody else on this forum said that certain areas in LA (right in the heart of LA near Hollywood) don't even get 3g even though it says on AT&T's coverage map that it's available. Seems like the coverage is pretty spotty.

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
1. Yellow = Warmer... you'd know that if you studied your color chart in school...

2. Let me get into a little more detail here... in order to conserve battery turn the 3g off when you aren't using things such as safari or the applications that require 3g... if your just texting or using the phone there's no point in having 3g on

3. We agreed lol

4. The 3g is in no means a cheap phone... the backing may be plastic but its still VERY durable... in fact my v1 felt cheaper than the 3g plus it looks better

5. Yes your missing the fact that there isn't always a wifi hot spot around... so the wifi chip is pretty much rendered useless at that moment in time... the speed differences are VERY noticeable... so arguing that was just ignorant...

6. Wasn't really meant as a point just something i thought i'd throw that in there as the nail in the coffin if you will... and id say within the next 3 months it'll be on the app store
1.) Hmmm I thought people were complaining about screens being "yellow" in color, not "warmer." "Warmer" colors include red, orange, and yellow. Unless I'm mistaken and people are complaining about red, orange, and yellow colored screens as well? Just stating that it is "warmer" in color does not make it so :p.

2.) I'm glad you cleared it up, but turning off and on the 3G aspect of the phone would also be strenuous on the battery, correct? Isn't 3G on all the time or are you able to turn it off like bluetooth? I guess my understanding was skewed about 3G.

3.) Haha yay for agreement!

4.) Well aesthetics aside, the iPhone 3G is now made of plastic yes? Plastic is cheaper to produce than metal, thereforee, the iPhone 3G is "cheaply" made. I put the word cheaply in quotes (in both posts) because it is made with cheaper materials, not made poorly per se. However, the fact still remains that the new iPhone is made via cheaper materials, hence my quality vs. quantity statement.

5.) I understand your meaning, but essentially you are paying for broadband service at ALL times via 3G speeds but cannot access such speeds at all times. I just think it's ironic that you're paying for "broadband speed" on a mobile phone. It's just an observation :p.

6.) I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at your statement. I'm not laughing at you, just the statement you made so please don't take any offense. I laugh because for the year that I've had my iPhone, we've had very few apps come out, even when we asked for MANY apps during the same time period and received nada. I'm just saying don't hold your breath when it comes to Apple and apps for the iPhone lol. :cool:

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I think someone couldn't get an iPhone 3G.
Haha! Nah I could definitely buy one right now (if they're available of course) if I really wanted too. A few things are stopping me: 1.) The last iPhone had a price drop in 6 weeks, 2.) Paying an extra $15 a month for essentially the same bad AT&T service is not my idea of fun, 3.) I don't want another 2 years of AT&T, 4.) Going by Apple's precedent with the iPhone, I'll get the iPhone 3.0 with 4G next year. :)

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
4.) Going by Apple's precedent with the iPhone, I'll get the iPhone 3.0 with 4G next year. :)
4G won't be out by next year. 3G is barely available anywhere outside of huge cities. and if the battery can't handle 3G that well how do you think it will handle 4G?

all of your 'reasons' for not buying the iPhone 3G will probably still exist for whatever gets put out a year from now

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
GPS is not an advantage on the 3g. It sucks up the battery. v1 iPhones pretty much have GPS already---just go to maps, hit "current location" and wah-laa, a circle appears and it's pretty accurate.
Try the V1 EDGE GPS (triangulation, sorry not GPS) in Michagan City, IN
Not very accurate.

3G GPS put me within a couple of feet.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
The screen is better
The data plan is cheaper
Signal is stronger
>The G3's screen is almost an exact match to my MacBook tones that are displayed on a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW LCD screen that I took 20 minutes to calibrate.

>The data plan is cheaper on V1 because you waste so much time waiting for pages to load. It's excruciatingly slow. With 3G, I actually use the unlimited data a hell of a lot more.

>More features on 3G to use up your battery and of course the battery will last longer on V1. We're all still learning how to use the 3G more efficiently and still conditioning the battery after a whopping 5 days since first phone sold.

>In Miami, my signal is the same as before, 3G or edge. 5 bars is the norm. ATT is still working on the network infrastructure as we speak.

>Hmm. Cheaper materials. I think almost 80 percent of Apples products use the same plastics in them. The plastic on the back of the 3G is more slip resistant in my hand than the aluminum backing. And I really prefer the seamless, one color backing of the 3G over the split of the V1.

So of course it's mostly preference.