iPhone video at Apple.com

asdiphone

Jun 17, 2007
Watched the full 20 minutes (twice over). I do hope that the actual device works as smoothly as the this demo (from coverflow to scrolling). Not sure if any of you noticed that the time was 9.42am for the full lenght of the video. Hence this was computer generated rather than him really using the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
i love the video, but the ringtone part made me a little sad...no custom tones! i hope we can customize our ringtones next friday. :(
I'm pretty sure we've seen Ringtones as a tab in iTunes, probably in the keynote.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
From the demo, it appears they're scrapping push e-mail capabilities... unless that's a different setting somewhere they're not showing. Maybe Yahoo! won't be ready in time?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
From the demo, it appears they're scrapping push e-mail capabilities... unless that's a different setting somewhere they're not showing. Maybe Yahoo! won't be ready in time?
I don't think they are scrapping that. It's a more advanced feature and unique to Yahoo email accounts. Not everything is featured in the tour.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Yeah the guy said within a week we will get used to the keyboard if we trust it.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I don't think they are scrapping that. It's a more advanced feature and unique to Yahoo email accounts. Not everything is featured in the tour.
Push e-mail isn't just for Yahoo... you can setup an IMAP server to essentially do the same thing. I hope there's an "Other..." setting somewhere to override the "check e-mail every x minute" settings.

Push e-mail is a big deal for blackberry users... or converts in this case. Jobs even mentioned it at the Keynote. Wouldn't they want to at least mention it in the tour?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Push e-mail isn't just for Yahoo... you can setup an IMAP server to essentially do the same thing. I hope there's an "Other..." setting somewhere to override the "check e-mail every x minute" settings.

Push e-mail is a big deal for blackberry users... or converts in this case. Jobs even mentioned it at the Keynote. Wouldn't they want to at least mention it in the tour?
This is true. I don't even use Push IMAP right now, but it was one of my main selling points, when the iPhone was first announced. That's why I want Gmail to adopt some sort of IMAP feature, BADLY.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007

I'm pretty sure the iPhone only support push email from Yahoo, while it also supports any other IMAP.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Did you also notice that after he calls John Appleseed it shows the time of that the call was sent? It was 11 something.

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
i mean talk about closing a deal. an doubt i had about getting an iPhone is gone. i serioulsy have to have it now. there's no way around.

simply the coolest digital device ever. GIMME!

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
i mean talk about closing a deal. an doubt i had about getting an iPhone is gone. i serioulsy have to have it now. there's no way around.

simply the coolest digital device ever. GIMME!
I agree... I have pretty much set my sights on it, and i must have it.
The only thing that would (possibly) drive me away now, is to find out that it REQUIRES a 2-year data contract with an 80$/month data plan. lol

I saw somewhere, either on the video, or in a screenshot, that you can change the intervals at which it checks your email accounts. If i can just set up Gmail as a POP3 service, and just turn down the check intervals to like 1 minute. It won't keep the emails synced on the server, but at least it'll show new messages pretty quickly. :)

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I'm pretty sure the iPhone only support push email from Yahoo, while it also supports any other IMAP.
Why would it only support Yahoo? That would make no sense... imap is about as open as a protocol as you can get.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
What a great day...went to Apple store and saw a giant iPhone...almost as cool as a giant cheeseburger...and then went home and saw this video while eating a cheeseburger. Oh I simply can't wait.

the PHDs

Bronze
May 21, 2007
wait....
idk if this was already said b/c i am in a rush....
but can u use songs as ringtones?
if not, ill still get it...
but i will be so upset