iPhone video at Apple.com

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
No offense but I don't think you actually understand how IMAP actually functions from a technical standpoint.
I think he was just saying what Steve Jobs said during the keynote. No other push email has been announced besides Yahoo. "Pull" email is set in intervals and should work with most other email accounts.

And yes, good call on the colbert look alike.

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon
Great video. I won't need instructions now!

I did notice that in addition to not addressing the push email feature that was touted in the keynote, the vidoe didn't mention anything about the camera function. They have been pretty proud of the 2 mega pixil camera in the past. Wonder if ithas something to do with the posibility it having video features also?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
No offense but I don't think you actually understand how IMAP actually functions from a technical standpoint.
None taken! But you keep mentioning IMAP when we are talking about Push. They are not synonymous. Your link is to Push IMAP, not IMAP. When you say "IMAP" are you referring to Push IMAP? That would make sense from what you've been saying. But you can't say "IMAP" and mean Push. Here are better reference links to IMAP and Push:

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
Man, why can't everything come with a video instruction manuel?!?

I personally love the swipe to the right to delete and tap once with two fingers to zoom out.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Great video. I won't need instructions now!

I did notice that in addition to not addressing the push email feature that was touted in the keynote, the vidoe didn't mention anything about the camera function. They have been pretty proud of the 2 mega pixil camera in the past. Wonder if ithas something to do with the posibility it having video features also?
Well I think I read on Apple's site that you will be able to upload video to YouTube so it would make sense if video was included. I guess like everyone we will wait and see.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Good link but I think this one offers a better explanation of the differances between Push and Pull email.

About the only differance with 'Push' is that the server notifies the client when new email is ready. The client still has to initiate the connection to the server to 'pull' the email down. With traditional 'Pull' email the client does not receive a notification from the server thereforee it has to constantly poll the server to check for new email. Not a bit differance really but "Push-email" sounds cool from a marketing perspective.

- SR

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Good link but I think this one offers a better explanation of the differances between Push and Pull email.

About the only differance with 'Push' is that the server notifies the client when new email is ready. The client still has to initiate the connection to the server to 'pull' the email down. With traditional 'Pull' email the client does not receive a notification from the server thereforee it has to constantly poll the server to check for new email. Not a bit differance really but "Push-email" sounds cool from a marketing perspective.
Thanks for the clarification! We both provided the same link. The original point was that Yahoo's push service was the only one supported on the iPhone. I believe that is the case. :)

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Not a bit differance really but "Push-email" sounds cool from a marketing perspective.
Thanks, that's what I've been trying to say actually. To put it another way, to provide the "push", the client still relies on a persistent—read always on—data connection to the server. IMAP has always been able to do this with its IDLE command; the big difference between push-IMAP and "old" IMAP is some of the compression and notification features that are more tailored to mobile devices. With POP3 you have to log on/log off the server every time you want to check for new messages.

Blackberry and others almost want to make it seem as if when you use "push e-mail" your mail just magically appears out of thin air with no client intervention ("pull"). Push e-mail sounds way cooler than "e-mail needing a persistent data connection."

I wonder if Mail on the iPhone will be able to do any filtering/rules—such as coloring messages or having multiple imap folders. Might be best to set that up server side and only forward messages that are really "important" to the iPhone.