iPod touch 1.1.5 -can utilities be added

irish66

Jun 23, 2011
I did before. But I obviously didn't do it right. This time I did it right. iTunes looked for the update. unfortunately I got error 14. I might try and resolve it sometime. But I'll leave it for now, unless you know any quick fixes.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Here's what Apple describes as possible solutions to error 14:

Error 13 and 14: These errors are typically resolved by performing one or more of the steps listed below:
  1. Perform USB isolation troubleshooting, including trying a different USB port directly on the computer. See the advanced steps below for USB troubleshooting.
  2. Put a USB 2.0 hub between the device and the computer.
  3. Try a different USB 30-pin dock-connector cable.
  4. Eliminate third-party security software conflicts.
  5. There may be third-party software installed that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting one or more TcpWindowSize entries into your registry. Your default packet size being set incorrectly can cause this error. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet-size modification for assistance.
  6. Connect your computer directly to your Internet source, bypassing any routers, hubs, or switches. You may need to restart your computer and modem to get online.
  7. Try to restore from another known-good computer and network.
What version of Windows and iTunes are you using?

irish66

Jun 23, 2011
Hi, yes i saw all of that. i have vista laptop, and an xp desktop. i was trying it on the laptop. I will try it on the desktop at some stage. i have the latest version of iTunes.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I bet it's some sort of firewall or security software on it that is interfering with iTunes' ability to connect to the Internet.

Why it needs an Internet connection when you already have the OS installation file to give it, I have no idea. But I do know that I was out of luck on restoring/updating my device when iTunes couldn't connect to the net.

irish66

Jun 23, 2011
Hi, i am trying to get it to get it to update on my xp desktop.
i got same result as on laptop
iTunes extracted software
updating
ipod could not be updated because of error 14.

Usernam

Bronze
Jul 2, 2010
Northern california
Lets see.... Have you tried a different USB port or iPod cable? If you have, it could be the network. Have you successfuly updated or restored an iPod touch, iPad, or iPhone on either computer?

Jeff Pettit

Mar 23, 2012
I don't know if I got lucky with my 8GB 1G ipod touch, but I got it to work. The software is not under the ipod pull-down (which I first thought), but the iPhone / iPod touch / iPad / Apple TV pulldown. I found the version 3 software listed under 1G ipod touch.

Also, Shift+ clicking on Restore didn't work for me. It just brought up the restore option. I tried button combinations like a monkey and found that Option+Command+ clicking on Restore opened the file options window.

Thanks SO much for the walk through, y'all. I thought I had a worthless piece of old tech. Now my son will be the most popular kid in 5th grade with Angry Birds on an ipod!