iPod Touch for Kids?

N

NatalieL

Just curious...What age would you say is appropriate to buy an iPod Touch for a child? I know lots of little ones love to play the games on iPhones, so when is it reasonable for them to have their own device in your opinion?

I've found some great advice on this topic and safe apps for my kids to play with at *************, but am curious to hear some other input.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I have a 2 year old and 4 year old. They use my V1 iPhone as an iPod Touch (it's on airplane mode). They certainly don't "own" it, but they play with it about once a week or so for kid games. I have almost all of the parent restrictions used, I only allow the camera. It stays in my drawer, and they must have permission to use it.

IMO, I would say around 3rd Grade (8-9 years old) would be be an ok age to "own" one.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

laughjimbo

Bronze
Aug 2, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
I bought my 8 year old daughter the new iPod touch 4th gen. She looks after it and my wife and I are always around checking what she is doing, also she cannot get any apps unless I enter my iTunes password!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
We were just having a discussion on another forum of some not so nice or inappropriate apps showing up when you search in the app store. But these things can happen on the Internet too, I guess my opinion would probably be if you let them go on the Internet then they are probably old enough to have their own. My brother let's his kids play the games on his iPad and they are young (4, 6, 7) they do have some cool kids apps, even eductational ones. You just probably need to monitor what theyre doing.

showaccord97

Bronze
Jul 20, 2010
Near Raleigh NC
I bought my little girl her own 2nd gen iPod touch when she was 3 she just turned 5 and it still is in great condition. We set very strict usage rules and I put a lot of educational apps, games too! She loves it as do I, really keeps her occupied when needed!

Its also locked so she can't go on safari, iTunes or app store

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I bought my little girl her own 2nd gen iPod touch when she was 3 she just turned 5 and it still is in great condition. We set very strict usage rules and I put a lot of educational apps, games too! She loves it as do I, really keeps her occupied when needed!

Its also locked so she can't go on safari, iTunes or app store
That's really good, I didn't know you could lock Safari.

reebs

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
This is ironic. Just bought one today for my sons who love playing kid games on my iPhone. Wanted to tell them that it was my toy lol. They are 2.5 and 5.5. Obviously will be restricting play, they will not "own" it and will only be playing supervised. As long as you are consistent with restrictions you will be fine.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I just bought one the other day, 4th gen iPod touch, for my sons 7th birthday. I let him play games on my phone all the time. He doesn't know what the app store or Internet is just yet

applejailescape

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
In my opinion it's better than the nintendo DS . And the games are a fraction of the cost. Just keep a eye on them and I'm sure they'll be fine!

toygixxer750

Bronze
Dec 22, 2007
I have a 3 and a 5 year old boys. Bought both the 3rd gen iPod touch. They're only allow to play with it when we're around. I usually put in entertainment, movie, or educational apps. Got them the iPod touch due to my 3 year old ranked up my wife's iPhone bill when he tap the "submit" button at the end of one of them apps that ask you to submit your score or something that requires signing up for data plan.
Believe me, toddlers know what the buttons: "play", "loading", "back", "yes/no", "menu", and "submit" does. And they know how to press the sleep button when i tell them to "pause" or "black-out" the game. Just gotta keep reminding them not to play & stare at the screen too close.