Is anyone starting to hate their iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Earlier today I got a call from my girlfriend while a salesperson was off gift-wrapping a beautiful pair of diamond earrings I found for her. I reached in my pocket to get the phone and it was black... the screen would not come to life and the ringer kept ringing. I had to do a two-button restart to get it back to life, and when I finally got her on the phone two minutes later the salesperson walked up to me and said "the return tag is on the earrings in the box." She overheard and the surprise was ruined. Thanks, iPhone. It crashes so many different ways that I'm not sure I can remember them all. Safari crashes quite consistently, however it's been better lately since I often turn off the phone and turn it back on in an effort to stop that. Once every two days, at least, it refuses to finish disconnecting from a call (it says "disconnecting from call" and it just freezes there until I kill it and restart it.) This ALWAYS happens when I'm in the middle of a businesss deal where getting back to someone with details is totally urgent.
Change a few words around and you just described me and my Treo. No, I take that back: add in a few spontaneous hard resets and you've described me and my Treo (me and my Treeeeoooo, wherever we go everyone knows it's me and my Treo, do do do do do do do ;)).

Knock wood I haven't ever had the phone app crash on my iPhone. To me that would be unacceptable.

Too bad about the earing thing...

--
Mike

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
So 24 hours after i got it and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Two weeks later and I must say that im wondering If i made a mistake. I still think its the coolest thing, but man oh man is this the most inefficient cell phone i have ever used. Slide, click, click click click then make a phone call.
Edge doesn't work half the time. I had to disconnect the WIFI because of the stupid SMTP. Two different SMPTs all day long? You must be kidding me. The fact that when i turn on the phone im back to where i last was sucks. I don't necessarily want to be where i was. I want to make a call! Then the non searchable contacts is horrible. Trying to drive and look at that little index on the left to find someone is horrible. i have 800 contacts in my phone. On the treo i would press the first letter of the name and boom im there. Click, call done. no more with this thing.

I received directions from my secretary via text. i needed to send it to a client via text. Ummm. now what. Thats right. i had to get a piece of paper and a pen, write it all down, then type it in to a new text. Not good.

The phone is beautiful, a technological marvel but im starting to think that i should have stayed with my treo for a while. The hype got me.

This one button thing sucks. no combinations to get you somewhere fast. No nothing to do anything fast. And try making a call to a contact while driving.

And where the hell is the update!

w
well i have to def disagree with you on everything you said u hated about the phone...i def think its the best phone out

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
Change a few words around and you just described me and my Treo. No, I take that back: add in a few spontaneous hard resets and you've described me and my Treo (me and my Treeeeoooo, wherever we go everyone knows it's me and my Treo, do do do do do do do ;)).

Knock wood I haven't ever had the phone app crash on my iPhone. To me that would be unacceptable.

Too bad about the earing thing...

--
Mike
I agree same with me and my treo...that thing froze at least5 times a week:(

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
well i have to def disagree with you on everything you said u hated about the phone...i def think its the best phone out
That doesn't make sense. You can't disagree w/what he said, because what he said is true. The phone doesn't have "blah blah blah" the phone does have "blah blah blah". The phone is cool, I like it, we all do (I think...) that's why we joined EiP.

The best phone out? I think that seriously depends on what your looking for from a phone.... For me, I'll say it again. It's fun to have the newest thing out there, and the phone does cool stuff. It lacks a lot, but it balances... for now.

Once "basic" features are added, there will be nothing out there that even comes CLOSE to this... PHONE. It's the nicest MUSIC device already, hands down.

willio

Jul 5, 2007
man that earring story was awful. my phone crashes every now and then but nothing like that. maybe your phone really is defective. ive had it 3 weeks and the home page is the one that always craps out. once it crapped out when the icons were in motion and i had icons all over the place.

and my treo would crash all the time when trying to hang up a call.

oh where oh where is the update. i am really surprised that with all of the talk about the same bugs over and over that they havnt done just a little bug fix just to keep us happy.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
oh where oh where is the update. i am really surprised that with all of the talk about the same bugs over and over that they havnt done just a little bug fix just to keep us happy.
Amen to the update. Many of these issues are real and will get more and more attention as time goes by. Lots of people are waiting for the iPhone to fail so Apple should get something out before someone like Walt Mossberg gets stuck doing the pen and paper thing and then complains publicly. Very easy for hype to turn against you.

--
Mike

SingleDouble

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Very well said, Zach. That's how I feel. I love this thing and hate it almost equally.

Right now, it's gone black and I don't know how to get back into the thing. :(

willio

Jul 5, 2007
Very well said, Zach. That's how I feel. I love this thing and hate it almost equally.

Right now, it's gone black and I don't know how to get back into the thing. :(
love and hate, im with you!

today was especially bad. so my uncle is interested in the buying a phone so he asked me to show him around. i went straight to youtube and IT didn't WORK!. the next question out of his mouth was did it have "tasks", what do you mean by tasks i said, he replied "Like a ToDo list..."

that was the end of that.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I would have to agree with almost everyone on this thread. I know that there is an "adaptation" curve. Im ok with that. I know that its not supposed to be a businesss solution. Fine. however, two weeks of daily use is plenty of time for adaptation and i find myself in the car trying to look up a number and spending way to much time to do one little thing. It was never an issue with the treo, but sometimes its a little scary in the car trying to look up a contact. And after those poor kids were killed because of the possibility that the driver was texting makes me more conscious of the efficiency of this phone.
Okay, so maybe this sounds blunt but if you are THAT important a person that can't pull over to make a phone call and MUST make it on the move, maybe you should spend some money on a good voice-activated hands free kit. Honestly, I don't give a crap what phone you decide to use, but remind me not to be near you on the road when you've decided you're so much more important than the rest of us and are going to use the phone while driving in a three thousand pound vehicle without a good hands free kit.

My brother likes to play the "banana game"... calling out "banana" when spotting a yellow car. I've adapted it to a game called "road hazard" where my daughter and her friends get points for spotting people on cellphones in cars.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
However, I did not sign on for the horrifically inconsistent and usually weak edge signal in areas where my former ATT Treo had full strength.
I can understand your complaints about the number of keystrokes it takes to make a call, but if you had an AT&T Treo, then you're using the very same network that you were using before. Are you saying that the iPhone doesn't pickup the network as well as your treo?

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Wow, with so much to iPhone hate, I'm amazed that:

a) You didn't take it back for a refund
b) It took you so long to find this website so that you could complain

Ahhhhh, but then you you'd have to actually own one to take one back.....

Did anyone mention that Trolling is against the site rules.....
Dude, just shut up, seriously. You say the same stupid crap everytime someone makes a complaint. Maybe YOU don't own an iPhone, because it's obvious to anyone that does that texting and making calls take a lot longer on this phone than they did on other phones. The auto correct doesn't pick the right word 25% of the time, and the phone is unusable while driving accept for doing simple things like answering a call.

What's funny is people actually believe there's going to be an update to fix things like text message forwarding lol. If that was going to be available on this phone, it would have been on the phone from the beginning. They had plenty of time to develop it, they wouldn't wait for an update to include such a basic feature.

gofastpilot

Jul 22, 2007
So 24 hours after i got it and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Two weeks later and I must say that im wondering If i made a mistake. I still think its the coolest thing, but man oh man is this the most inefficient cell phone i have ever used. Slide, click, click click click then make a phone call.
Edge doesn't work half the time. I had to disconnect the WIFI because of the stupid SMTP. Two different SMPTs all day long? You must be kidding me. The fact that when i turn on the phone im back to where i last was sucks. I don't necessarily want to be where i was. I want to make a call! Then the non searchable contacts is horrible. Trying to drive and look at that little index on the left to find someone is horrible. i have 800 contacts in my phone. On the treo i would press the first letter of the name and boom im there. Click, call done. no more with this thing.

I received directions from my secretary via text. i needed to send it to a client via text. Ummm. now what. Thats right. i had to get a piece of paper and a pen, write it all down, then type it in to a new text. Not good.

The phone is beautiful, a technological marvel but im starting to think that i should have stayed with my treo for a while. The hype got me.

This one button thing sucks. no combinations to get you somewhere fast. No nothing to do anything fast. And try making a call to a contact while driving.

w
I too have many contacts. The one thing I miss most from my palm is the ability to search the across the data, looking for the one piece of data I can't find. The othe most important thing about contacs was the ability to put them in groups. Hope there working on some of these things.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Dude, just shut up, seriously. You say the same stupid crap everytime someone makes a complaint. Maybe YOU don't own an iPhone, because it's obvious to anyone that does that texting and making calls take a lot longer on this phone than they did on other phones. The auto correct doesn't pick the right word 25% of the time, and the phone is unusable while driving accept for doing simple things like answering a call.

What's funny is people actually believe there's going to be an update to fix things like text message forwarding lol. If that was going to be available on this phone, it would have been on the phone from the beginning. They had plenty of time to develop it, they wouldn't wait for an update to include such a basic feature.

Most of your complaints are opinion-based.
My auto-correct always gets the right words for the most part.
Coming from an "on the road" technical job, I have no problem whatsoever using the phone while driving. Texting is not quite as simple as a regular phone, but I don't care. I shouldn't be text messaging while driving, anyway. Hell, I shouldn't even be talking on it, while driving.

It's easy for me, because my last job of 5 years, had me with a full-scale Windows XP laptop, always open, on the right side of the my driver's seat, a radio, 2 cell phones, a map book, and driving all at the same time.
You learn to multi-task very quickly and effectively. lol

Your complaints are valid, but your consistent "b*tching" is not appreciated. Everyone understands the "short-comings" of the phone at this point, and we're just dealing with it. You can either adapt, or you can reject it.
Rejecting it would probably include selling or returning it. If you're out of your 14-day trial period, i'm sure you could probably get good money for it on eBay. I'm not giving you the same old "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, RETURN IT" routine.

All I'm trying to say is that there seems to be "bugs" in just about every consumer electronic device's initial launch, these days. (think of the xbox 360...omg)
ESPECIALLY something like this. This is a company not only launching a device they've never had any experience in, but it's also a field of electronics they have no experience in. I personally think they've done a wonderful job so far, especially with the customer service end of it all.
Just give them time to put together an update, and enjoy the parts of it that you *DO* like, for now. I'm assuming you like at least some part of it. ;)

With the iPhone, you really can't compare it to a normal cell phone, because it is far from that. It really is more of a hand-held Mac that can make calls. The phone application is actually what I use it for, the least.

Think of it this way, with every other phone you've ever bought (minus the PDAs and such) did they ever release an update for, or even acknowledge the "problems" with the phone, or things you didn't like about it?
Heck no!
You got what you paid for.

At least with the iPhone, we have the possibility of change for the better, and I think you'll be very pleased with it, once some of the small issues are addressed. Just be patient, stick around, hold on to the phone, and I guarantee you'll be happy you did. ;)

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Think of it this way, with every other phone you've ever bought (minus the PDAs and such) did they ever release an update for, or even acknowledge the "problems" with the phone, or things you didn't like about it?
No, and neither has the iPhone.

TBond9

Jul 23, 2007
I've had every pda/phone on the market.....I was using a Razr & Q previously. I've always had to use 2 phones b/c of battery life, sh*tty phone, service, etc. Although I agree w/ some of the complaints, I finally feel like I can use 1 device! The Q sux.......Windows mobile is a joke, when I had a Treo it froze at least once a day and the phone was horrible. At least when I find a complaint w/ my iPhone I can find multiple things that make me go WOW!

Here is my question for people who decide to go to another phone......Are you going to be able to get over what the other phones CAN'T do? To me it's kind of like going back to a bag phone. When I screw around w/ my Q I laugh b/c I feel like it's from the 70's.....the iPhone is in a different league, period.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com

Thanks for the insightful commentary.

I call 'em as I see 'em

I've identified many confirmed Troll posts on this forum, and I'll aim to continue to do so.

Trolls need to be ejected asap, iMoaners can ***** and moan to their hearts content, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

When I look at a set of posts that are overwhelmingly negative.

I see the level of iPhone community assistance provided by such posts is negligible.

I aim to keep posting, keep being helpful, and spot a few trolls along the way to keep the forums healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
love and hate, im with you!

today was especially bad. so my uncle is interested in the buying a phone so he asked me to show him around. i went straight to youtube and IT didn't WORK!. the next question out of his mouth was did it have "tasks", what do you mean by tasks i said, he replied "Like a ToDo list..."

that was the end of that.
Wow, you really do have the most amazing bad luck.

People keep asking you to do things that the iPhone 'fails' at.

It's like you're cursed or something - absolutely incredible bad fortune.......

I'd get your iPhone over to someone for an exorcism or something

It's almost beyond belief that any single person could have such a bad run of luck!.........

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

w
All of these issues/problems were reported in the reviews, which is why those who did their homework decided to stay away; at least for now.

And many also decided that counting on AT&T's "bottom of the barrel" rated cell/data service, just wasn't worth it. Don't you have 30 days to bring it back? The upcoming updates won't address the hardware issues you mention, however.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Thanks for the insightful commentary.

I call 'em as I see 'em

I've identified many confirmed Troll posts on this forum, and I'll aim to continue to do so.

Trolls need to be ejected asap, iMoaners can ***** and moan to their hearts content, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

When I look at a set of posts that are overwhelmingly negative.

I see the level of iPhone community assistance provided by such posts is negligible.

I aim to keep posting, keep being helpful, and spot a few trolls along the way to keep the forums healthy.

If you check crane98's post history, every single post he's made has been negative in some way, or a complaint, or in agreement with some complaint post. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.