Is anyone starting to hate their iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
This is a common response. Any critique, no matter how moderate and ressonable, is met with base, shrill insult.
First of all, you have every right to post your experiences on here, good and bad. Why people bash the bad posts in just odd. You paid $600 plus for the device and at least $60 a month for service. You are entitled to get something that works. I did a lot of research on this phone as well as AT&T's horrible service rating. If you are unhappy, return it before you are locked into a 2 year contract. Or you can wait for any updates and hope that cures the software problems (Hardware issues you are stuck with until the next release).

But everyone should allow people the opportunity to voice the good and bad. After all, many people come to these forums and read these posts , counting on honest opinions to help them make a decision when they consider buying. They want all the angles. Let's not attack those who are having serious issues with the product and service.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I wonder if it's fair to also point out that there are certain people here whose posts seem to either blindy praise the device or attack those who don't?

Sauce for the goose and all that.

I'm European and although I love what Apple have done with the device I recognize it has a lot of shortcomings. If Apple up their game when they release it over here then I'll be first in line for one. If they don't then I'll just file it with all the other "interesting but just a fad" devices that have come out over the years and stick with Nokia.

It's really that simple.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I wonder if it's fair to also point out that there are certain people here whose posts seem to either blindy praise the device or attack those who don't?
Maybe they are employees of Apple and AT&T? ;)

SingleDouble

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Maybe they are employees of Apple and AT&T? ;)
No, they're cultists. They resemble Scientologists, or any other religion that vacuums out any questioning.

I used to run a mac based bulletin board that was financed by Apple, and I'm well aware of them. It does not matter what problems Apple products have, however significant, they will arrive to tell you to shut up. It's still remarkable that they can't just steer clear of complaint threads since they have nothing to add but shrill bumps.

Some of them also have to remember that a lot of the complaints come from a place of love, not hate. I LOVE THIS THING. The iPhone is incredible, simply put one of the most mesmerizing game-changing things out there. But the louder we scream about what sucks about it, the more the next version, whether hardware or software, will be vastly improved.

It's just that simple.

evilhomer

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Dude, just shut up, seriously. You say the same stupid crap everytime someone makes a complaint. Maybe YOU don't own an iPhone, because it's obvious to anyone that does that texting and making calls take a lot longer on this phone than they did on other phones. The auto correct doesn't pick the right word 25% of the time, and the phone is unusable while driving accept for doing simple things like answering a call.

What's funny is people actually believe there's going to be an update to fix things like text message forwarding lol. If that was going to be available on this phone, it would have been on the phone from the beginning. They had plenty of time to develop it, they wouldn't wait for an update to include such a basic feature.
I have read a lot of legitimate complaints about the iPhone and I'll say that yours are just bogus. If it takes you longer to make a phone call and text on this phone than any other phone, you haven't owned enough phones. Any your typing must be REALLY bad if you are only getting 25% accuracy out of the auto correct feature. The worst is, you saying that you can't do much with the phone while driving except answering a call. What do you expect to do with it? Text your buddies? Surf the net? You are supposed to be driving, not screwing around with your phone. Safety is questionalbe at best when talking on a phone while driving let along messing around with other functions. Perhaps you should read the article about the teenage girl in England who just got four years in jail for killing a grandmother while she was driving and TEXTING her pals.

As for your last comment, you think we are all stupid for assuming Apple's going to release patches and fixes for the device? You must really be smoking something or very new to the tech world to think that Apple or any other major tech player won't release updates and bug fixes. Or that a company would never release a product with them.

I hate to say negative things about anyone but you just haven't got a clue and I believe that if you do actually own the device you are one of the few who really, really should have returned it.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
You are right, funny thing is that besides having iPhone, I have Curve and Blackjack and they just work, from day to day, they work!
Without bashing you or the OP, the iPhone just may not be for you.If you're beyond the two week period, sell it on EBAY and go back to the phone that best fits your needs.

Personally, the phone is a joy to use. Even when locked, I can easily grab it and swipe a thumb to answer the call. I just do try to do much more than that while driving, so the whole one handed thing is not an issue to me.

The ease of use of this phone, changing sources, getting back to the call from another app, adding new numbers to existing or new contacts, etc. from a call or a text is simply great. Yes there are a few things that I'd like to see, like exchange full support and copy and paste, but those things won't make me go back to my Treo in this lifetime.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
ok, Mr. NYDMX

"Dear, all clients, employees, and friends, a smart guy on the internet named NYDMX suggested that I write you this letter. Please be aware that I am the owner of the new iPhone, thereforee i must tell you, that if you ever need to send me any information that I may have to forward to another employee, client etc do not send it via text. You must send it via email. I know some of you don't have my email address, i also am aware that many of you have normal phones that don't have email capabilities but thats irrelevant according to NYDMX. He is very smart... he says so. Again, only email DO NOT SEND A TEXT i have a new iPhone, please understand."

ps. Dear Mrs. "so called" secretary, could you please be sure that I have some paper and a pen in the car, because the message above is was refused by the server..."
Awesome rebuttal!:eek: And a good point.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I see a lot of complaints from ppl who had a previous smartphone, who possibly used their treos and such for businesss purposes. You gotta remember, this phone is not for businesss, it's just a fancy pleasure phone. I'm not sure why I'd ever need copy-and-paste! I work in an automobile factory, so I don't need to text 15 ppl for power-lunch plans! I've had mine since day one, still love it, still amazed by it. Update(s) will come when they're ready, not sooner.
Yes, I do have a few complaints, but that may just be the 'nature of the beast'. You're gonna find something wrong with about anything you own, so why not this phone? I'm sure ppl found things they didn't like about their Treo or Blackberry. Just remember, this phone is a cool toy, not a device for businesss, and IMHO, it delivers what it's meant to deliver.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
No Business Accounts

Perhaps there was a reason behind Apple and ATT saying no to businesss accounts... perhaps the iPhone creates it on space on the shelf of cell phones and does not displace BBerries or Treos. I do not miss my Treo or my Q not one bit not for one second... the iPhone meets and exceeds my needs. And future update improvements will just be frosting on the cake.

I do feel for those who are having issues with process flow and such; but stop talking on the cell phone when you are driving and for God's sakes stop texting. No matter how good you think you are you are not that good. Sorry for going off topic... :eek:

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I see a lot of complaints from ppl who had a previous smartphone, who possibly used their treos and such for businesss purposes. You gotta remember, this phone is not for businesss, it's just a fancy pleasure phone. I'm not sure why I'd ever need copy-and-paste! I work in an automobile factory, so I don't need to text 15 ppl for power-lunch plans! I've had mine since day one, still love it, still amazed by it. Update(s) will come when they're ready, not sooner.
Yes, I do have a few complaints, but that may just be the 'nature of the beast'. You're gonna find something wrong with about anything you own, so why not this phone? I'm sure ppl found things they didn't like about their Treo or Blackberry. Just remember, this phone is a cool toy, not a device for businesss, and IMHO, it delivers what it's meant to deliver.

And there you have it. For the most part, those coming from businesss centric devices have been disappointed. Those coming from cell phones and ipods couldnt be happier.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm not sure why I'd ever need copy-and-paste! I work in an automobile factory...
No wonder those jobs are being outsourced. :cool:

Seriously, you can't think of a reason why someone, even a non-businesss user, might want copy-and-paste? I can think of many. Here is one: I'm reading an article on the Web and want to include some of the text, or even just the URL, in a forum posting.

--
Mike

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
No wonder those jobs are being outsourced. :cool:

Seriously, you can't think of a reason why someone, even a non-businesss user, might want copy-and-paste? I can think of many. Here is one: I'm reading an article on the Web and want to include some of the text, or even just the URL, in a forum posting.

--
Mike
Not all of us use Safari that extensively.. Working with a computer at my fingertips for 18 hours of the day, means I don't "need" it that much. Although, I do *need* it to be able to access some sites, for at least 9 hours of that day.

It is a very valid concern, though. I haven't had any reason to need Copy+Paste yet, but I guess it would definitely be helpful if it were included.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I really don't see posting a simple forum message as "extensive." Doing that on my Treo, now that would be extensive! ;)

--
Mike

Well, it's more than I use it for, most of the time. lol
I usually just reply to myspace messages, and that's about it. Now, if I'm away from a computer, I'll do anything and everything with it. ;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well, it's more than I use it for, most of the time. lol
I usually just reply to myspace messages, and that's about it. Now, if I'm away from a computer, I'll do anything and everything with it. ;)
Well someday, and that day may never come, you are going to be using your iPhone and suddenly have a dire need for cut-n-paste. As you sit there shivering in a cold sweat you will think to yourself, "boy do I agree with Tinman now!" :laugh2:

--
Mike

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com

Sauce for the goose and all that.

I'm European and although I love what Apple have done with the device I recognize it has a lot of shortcomings. If Apple up their game when they release it over here then I'll be first in line for one. If they don't then I'll just file it with all the other "interesting but just a fad" devices that have come out over the years and stick with Nokia.

It's really that simple.
The problem with European 3G is

a) It's patchy at best, especially in the UK
b) It's owned/opperated by different carriers in different countries - at this point there is no one 3G company that will sign-up iPhone on 3G and have half decent European coverage.

Seems like 02 have won the UK slice - so I'm sure they see the value of iPhone, based on the numbers of new contracts they'll expect to receive.

I know it's difficult for you to see when you're so far removed from the iPhone action, but the numbers of non-AT&T users that switched to AT&T purely for iPhone was huge.

They polled the line I was in on iDay, and AT&T were looking at 50-75% of the people being new AT&T customers.

Now that's huge for any phone company.

Lack of 3G is completely over played - and having used it since launch day, I can confirm that even on EDGE the iPhone is extremely useable and useful.

Of course faster is better, but lack of 3G is in no way a deal breaker, as you'd suggest.

I have had a long history of Internet enabled 'phones, from the first Nokia communicator, through 3 versions, then iPaq and T-Mobile MDA.

So I've used the rest - and the iPhone is a strong player in this market (US) and will be in the European arena.

I'm not blindly supporting anything - I'm coming from a strong history of being an early adopter, and I'm backing my $600+ investment because it does what it say's on the tin (or box in Apple's case)

evilhomer

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Thinking about it, I really think the title of this thread is off and sparking such strong responses from both sides of the fence.

Hate is a strong word. Especially for this device. I would imagine that if anyone really HATED the iPhone, they would have either returned it for a refund or eBay'd it; making the HATE posts pointless and a waste of the posters time. That would be like me hating Blackberry's and spending all day in the blackberry forums ragging on it. I do agree that we need to discuss both the positive and the negatives about the device but frankly, if you HATE it, it's probably time to find it a new home. And you a new forum to hang out in.

I don't see how anyone could outright HATE this device unless you were just an anti-Apple antagonist, which there are some here. I don't think anyone here, that still owns and uses the device, really HATES it or is growing to hate it. I think some of the WOW factor may have worn off and the longer you use it, the more you tend to take the feautres for granted.

Worse case, it will turn out not to be the right device for you.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Okay, I'm a newbie here and I do have an iPhone so let me chime in.

1. I love it. It's great.

2. Some (yes some) of it's phone functions, while classy and sweet, take more steps and more time than a normal cell phone. I'll give a real world example ...

I'm paging one of my direct reports (I'm an ATT field manager)...

A.) Getting to the number and calling it is much slower if I already know the number. If I know the number and will manually dial it's much faster on a normal cell. Pick up the phone and start dialing... hear the answer, enter the number to send to the pager and hit #. Done.

On the iPhone if I know the number by memory I go through these steps...

1. Hit the home button to wake it up.
2. Slide the slide to unlock it.
3. Hit the phone icon (or if I left off in Safari or something first I have to hit the home button again to get back home so I can hit the phone icon)
4. The phone dialer comes up and this is certainly much faster and more user-friendly than any cell phone keys... however...
5. Once the pager number answers I have to hit the "keypad" button to get to the keypad"
6. Enter the number I want to be called back on.

In reality I've "touched" the phone many more times than I would touch my $49 Nokia to make the same call. But it's lots more fun.

So there are indeed parts of the software, as beautiful as they are, which actually make it more difficult to make a phone call at certain times. Do I care? Hell no. :laugh2: The other stuff more than makes up for it.

Example?

When I don't know the number on my old Nokia I have to navigate through tiny contacts on a tiny screen and it takes much longer to find it. Even with searching by hitting a alpha key you first have to stop and find the letter on those tiny keys.

I've become quite adept at using the right hand alphabet in the contacts screen to quickly jump or scroll to near where I want to be. In this case for me the iPhone is faster and more intuitive.

Slide to answer (which is great!), click earbud to answer (better), holding calls, doing conference calls etc are miles ahead of typical cell interfaces and the little time I wasted above is given back threefold. It's not a wash, it's not even close.

The one thing I haven't yet been able to do is navigate through contacts while on the phone. I'm probably not doing it right though.

Since I bought it I've used it exclusively, transferring my calls from my company paid phone to it. It's funny how after a while you start to work the way the phone works and the way Apple is moving you to work. Jumping into the recents and hitting a number cannot be duplicated on a normal cell phone OS. Maybe some of the higher end ones, dunno. I use that a lot since I call a lot of the same numbers or return calls from people who called a lot.

Home, unlock, home (if left in YouTube or whatever) phone, recent, touch... I'm in a call. It takes about 2 seconds now. I also am in the habit now of returning home whenever I finish doing anything so when I unlock I'm usually home... that speeds things up considerably.

All in all it's a great design than requires the user to adapt his or her thinking a bit. Once you do there's no going back. Making direct comparisons to typical interfaces skews the thought processes a little I think.

The original poster was dead on though and his post is legit and not just out of hand griping. You just need time to get into Apples way of thinking then it starts to make much more sense.

Making phone calls? ALWAYS think RECENTS. It's the fastest way for regular calls to people you know and talk to a lot. I've probably hit that "button" more than any on the iPhone. There is no equal to it on phones I've owned.

Sorry for the long initial post.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
The problem with European 3G is

a) It's patchy at best, especially in the UK
Sorry, that's simply not true. Here's an excerpt from an article on ZDNet UK:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39285784,00.htm

The mobile operator 3 has announced that its third-generation services now cover 90 percent of the UK population, giving it a comfortable lead on its rivals... ...The closest competitor to 3 in terms of 3G coverage is Orange, which covers 85 percent of the UK population. Vodafone covers "nearly 80 percent", a figure that T-Mobile aims to hit by the end of this year (it reached 70 percent by the end of 2006). The poorest 3G coverage is that of O2, at little more than 60 percent.

So the networks cover on average 75% of the population - and this figure is increasing - with O2 lagging far behind. Can you perhaps see why O2 are keen to get the iPhone contract given that they have the least to lose?

Oh and - as the article points out - O2's coverage is so awful that Voda dumped them as their backup provider for GSM.

In other words it's here to stay with HSDPA following on.

b) It's owned/opperated by different carriers in different countries - at this point there is no one 3G company that will sign-up iPhone on 3G and have half decent European coverage.
Again this is nonsense. Western Europe has comparable or better 3G coverage than the UK. This applies to all providers.

Seems like 02 have won the UK slice - so I'm sure they see the value of iPhone, based on the numbers of new contracts they'll expect to receive.
Or the fact that they have the weakest 3G network and thus the worst bargaining position.

I know it's difficult for you to see when you're so far removed from the iPhone action, but the numbers of non-AT&T users that switched to AT&T purely for iPhone was huge.
And I know it's difficult for you to understand the UK market since you're so far removed from it. It's not the same as the US market at all.

They polled the line I was in on iDay, and AT&T were looking at 50-75% of the people being new AT&T customers.
Undoubtedly. It's the first Apple mobile phone and demand will be huge to start with. Since the people in line only had the choice of one provider then it's scarcely surprising the vast majority were switching from other networks. Lets see what long term demand looks like once the initial surge is over though.

Now that's huge for any phone company.
Not really given the context. The iPhone is a desirable device tied to one network - you want it, you have to have AT&T. Like I said, lets see what the long term results are.

Lack of 3G is completely over played - and having used it since launch day, I can confirm that even on EDGE the iPhone is extremely useable and useful.
And livign in America you know about the European 3G networks because...? I'm sorry, it's not overplayed over here at all.

Of course faster is better, but lack of 3G is in no way a deal breaker, as you'd suggest.
I think the iPhone will sell well here but its long term success depends on its ability to function in a particular market. At the moment the European markets are geared towards 3G and HSDPA, not wi-fi and that's the speed we expect to be able to connect at. A device that doesn't take this into account will not make a major impact in the market.

I have had a long history of Internet enabled 'phones, from the first Nokia communicator, through 3 versions, then iPaq and T-Mobile MDA.

So I've used the rest - and the iPhone is a strong player in this market (US) and will be in the European arena.
It might be. I really think you've underestimated what we expect here though.

I'm not blindly supporting anything - I'm coming from a strong history of being an early adopter, and I'm backing my $600+ investment because it does what it say's on the tin (or box in Apple's case)
And that's fine, but I'm looking at the current model and thinking "It's gorgeous, the UI is to die for but it's lacking so many things it should have as standard. Hmm... the N95's better for me just now and let's see what Nokia or SE come up with for their next generation of phones".

I don't think I'll be alone here. The iPhone will so what it's done in the US - sell big numbers quickly. It's what happens after the first month or so that counts.

Now, if they give it 3G, a decent camera, video and MMS.. well, that's a different story. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.