MacBook Pro Is my dream computer a Mac Book Pro?

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
Perhaps you guys can help me with this one. I Absolutely am in love with my i pod Touch, problem is my Dell laptop shuts down and freezes up a lot with i tunes, is this Apples little way of saying you need a Mac? I am a gamer and people tell me that Macs don't game well. I hear the machines are very well built and have few problems at all. Help me decide, push me to thew other side.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
while i wouldn't try to talk you out of getting a mac, there is no reason why iTunes should be giving you so many problems. The windows version does require a significant chunk of memory, so if your computer has a lot of other processes running as well as a shortage of RAM, that could be your problem.

What games are you into?

macs are great pieces of hardware, and should game just fine so long as the games you want to play are compatible. And, remember, it IS possible to run windows on a Mac. Once in a while, i play Oblivion on my macbook pro (via XP) with the highest video settings enabled... and also Command and Conquer (compatible with Mac).

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Like Hippo indicated, many games will play well on the Mac. Some may even play using Windows virtual machines. Others that won't work on a virtual machine may work in Boot Camp mode. If you are a serious gamer, however, it is generally recommended that you purchase a gaming PC. These PCs are monstrosities in and of themselves - quad core extreme, physics accelerators, extra large power supplies, high end graphics cards.

There is nothing wrong with saying a Mac is not for everyone. Macs are very expensive - you need to weigh your proposed use of the machine with what you can afford.

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
Like Hippo indicated, many games will play well on the Mac. Some may even play using Windows virtual machines. Others that won't work on a virtual machine may work in Boot Camp mode. If you are a serious gamer, however, it is generally recommended that you purchase a gaming PC. These PCs are monstrosities in and of themselves - quad core extreme, physics accelerators, extra large power supplies, high end graphics cards.

There is nothing wrong with saying a Mac is not for everyone. Macs are very expensive - you need to weigh your proposed use of the machine with what you can afford.
comparing the two laptops, the Macbook pro and a good gaming laptop the gaming laptop tends to win out as I'm not doing graphics editing, but speed and power are everything. I think we are reaching a point where big improvements are coming to laptops where more power and performance are in the pipeline.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I like to play Battlefield 2142, Tower sim, Battlefield2 mostly.
I haven't seen you on BF2142 for a while, do you still play? Have you tried the 2 new maps? I like Wake Island. The BF2 version of WI was totally pwned by jets and it was no fun (unless you were the pilot) I think the MB Pro would be good enough to play most games.

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
I haven't seen you on BF2142 for a while, do you still play? Have you tried the 2 new maps? I like Wake Island. The BF2 version of WI was totally pwned by jets and it was no fun (unless you were the pilot) I think the MB Pro would be good enough to play most games.
I haven't played in a few days as the lag has been bad, that and I have a new toy to bond with and podcasts and music to fill it with.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I haven't played in a few days as the lag has been bad, that and I have a new toy to bond with and podcasts and music to fill it with.
The lag was bad, wasn't it? Even on a server with low ping.
iPod taking all your time now? LOL My iPhone still takes most of my attention, so I understand.

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
i might jump into a game tonight, I usually play on my clan server [=SL=] Snakes lair, and the new maps are ok, Wake island is weird. The other one is great for sniping.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
comparing the two laptops, the Macbook pro and a good gaming laptop the gaming laptop tends to win out as I'm not doing graphics editing, but speed and power are everything. I think we are reaching a point where big improvements are coming to laptops where more power and performance are in the pipeline.
there isn't much of a difference between the MBP and a "gaming" laptop. The MBP has a great graphics card (not the best, but close to it), and a VERY nice processor... i haven't researched them much, but i would guess the MBP is just as awesome as any gaming laptop.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
Although I do not game on this MacBook Pro, and I don't know much about it, I do know that this is a great computer with great technical features and it runs very well. As long as it is Mac OSX-compatible, it should run seamlessly or at least well enough to enjoy.

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
All the gamers I talk to steer me away from Apple as they say for the price you could build an awesome gaming rig, that and all of the games are written for PC.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the first point is true. If gaming is a priority, and you are knowledgeable enough to build a computer, i'd say go for it.

the second point is moot because of bootcamp, imo. i play PC games on my mac all the time.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
All the gamers I talk to steer me away from Apple as they say for the price you could build an awesome gaming rig, that and all of the games are written for PC.
I guess this is a valid point, because you probably could get some better hardware for the price. I would only do this if I would use the computer only as a gaming computer though, because after using OSX, I believe it is far superior and much more fun to use. It's almost as if when using OSX, you're part of an entire library of programs, versus using third-part programs with Windows.