Is the iPhone 5 worth upgrading from the 4s?

Jaz0305

Bronze
Jun 24, 2010
We went to Verizon, extremely happy for $25 more a month we get awesome LTE,call quality & superior customer service. Zero regrets here

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think it's a pretty solid upgrade. If you are upgrading for an iPhone 4S, you can get some great resale value on that iPhone. I sold my 64GB iPhone 4S for $500 on eBay and that was weeks after the iPhone 5 was released.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I'd have bitten the bullet and paid more for service with another carrier long ago if Sprint didn't keep dangling carrots and giving me hope. First it was the Network Vision upgrade program for both calls and data speed. I've seen my data speeds DOUBLE in recent months. I'm now getting data speeds that are flirting with "barely acceptable". For Sprint that's real progress! Now the SoftBank buyout might mean an improved overall network. Between my insanely optimistic attitude and the low prices, I keep hanging around.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I'd have bitten the bullet and paid more for service with another carrier long ago if Sprint didn't keep dangling carrots and giving me hope. First it was the Network Vision upgrade program for both calls and data speed. I've seen my data speeds DOUBLE in recent months. I'm now getting data speeds that are flirting with "barely acceptable". For Sprint that's real progress! Now the SoftBank buyout might mean an improved overall network. Between my insanely optimistic attitude and the low prices, I keep hanging around.
Been with AT&T (Cingular) 10+ years. I have a family plan with 3 iPhones & a non smartphone & pay less than $200 per month.

Reactions: chris

Kiidcurly

Nov 20, 2012
I have a iPhone4 and the service for sprint sucks here in LA. what's my best bet on the iPhone 5 or the galaxy s3

Kiidcurly

Nov 20, 2012
Sprint will be equally bad on both. Why not switch carriers?
The reason is... I have a two year contract. on October of this year I've had it for a year. Service charge to disconnect is outrages on my 3 iPhones!

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Sprint will be equally bad on both. Why not switch carriers?
Totally agree. I know that you are only in the first year of your contract but either phone is going to be miserable. Switching carriers will bring the most bang for your buck. I originally had AT&T when the iPhone first came out and then I switched to Sprint for one year and it was awful. I switched to Verizon with the 4S and the speed was lacking from when I had AT&T but since I got the iPhone 5 with LTE it has been pretty amazing. I really couldn't be happier.

Kiidcurly

Nov 20, 2012
Totally agree. I know that you are only in the first year of your contract but either phone is going to be miserable. Switching carriers will bring the most bang for your buck. I originally had AT&T when the iPhone first came out and then I switched to Sprint for one year and it was awful. I switched to Verizon with the 4S and the speed was lacking from when I had AT&T but since I got the iPhone 5 with LTE it has been pretty amazing. I really couldn't be happier.
The reason why AT&T isn't the picture is because they wanted a 500 deposit for each line which is absurd. And when I ended AT&T I ended in good terms do didn't so really don't understand there issues.

Kgd0630

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 8, 2010
Anderson, SC
I upgraded from 4S to 5 on AT&T and feel it was a waste of $$. There just isn't enough WOW to me. Now, from a 4 to 5, then yes!