It chaps my hide.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I do not understand why those selling used Apple products consistently expect to rip off the buyer.
These listings are consistent across multiple listings and suggests; 1. that as a group, the sellers are not even aware of their inflated expectations, 2. that there are too many buyers that suspend a reasonable demand for value, when buying Apple products?
Below is a typical case. The first is an active listing nearby. The second is for new (not refurbished) product at a local BestBuy.

stupid1.jpg
realist1.jpg

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
look at this [explitive]. s/he's asking $250 or a MacBook for a cracked 1st gen mini that's been upgraded to 8.1 *cough* slow/mismatch *cough* and has the nerve to add; no lowballers & serious inquiries only.

I'm temped to offer a MacBook trade and send them on a wild goose chase because a rude request deserves a rude reply.

stupid2.jpg

Reactions: Rafagon

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It Chaps My Hide whenever someone says that they are "trying" to do something when in actuality they don't have to "try" to do it; they can simply go ahead and do it because it's completely under their control.

Example:

(click to view full size)

trying.png

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple doesn't have to "try" not to collect data; they could very simply not write data-collection code in their servers' software, in iOS, and in OS X.

Unless Cook and company have lost control of Apple's servers because these have become self-aware and are acting of their own volition, Cook has no business saying that Apple "tries" not to collect data.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I do not understand why those selling used Apple products consistently expect to rip off the buyer.
These listings are consistent across multiple listings and suggests; 1. that as a group, the sellers are not even aware of their inflated expectations, 2. that there are too many buyers that suspend a reasonable demand for value, when buying Apple products?
Below is a typical case. The first is an active listing nearby. The second is for new (not refurbished) product at a local BestBuy.

View attachment 39754 View attachment 39755
The Best Buy price is a sale price. The seller probably looked at the current full price of a new device when deciding on his price. Additionally, most people list a higher price than they expect. This is because nearly everyone makes offers for lower than the listing. It makes them feel like they are saving money by talking someone down. This doesn't only apply to online used items. You can often get better prices on certain new items in stores as well. For example, I can almost always get a better price than what's on the tags at furniture stores when I ask. I always list my iPhones $30 higher than I expect to sell them for on Craigslist. I accept the first offer that is for $30 lower than my listed price.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I think it's more of an ice breaker. They aren't trying to get you to read their minds.
That and many feel like others may see them as wasting their time. So they feel the need to say "quick" in an apology sort of way.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Then there those of us who really mean it. For me "I have a quick question" means that I have a question for you that requires only a quick answer to point me in the right direction. I have several friends, including my much better half, who when asked a question that requires only a yes or no answer can go on for several minutes with the answer after which I still have to ask "Is that a yes or a no?" and that Chaps My Hide!!
Enjoy your day Y'all.

Reactions: ivantwilliams

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
The Best Buy price is a sale price. The seller probably looked at the current full price of a new device when deciding on his price. Additionally, most people list a higher price than they expect. This is because nearly everyone makes offers for lower than the listing. It makes them feel like they are saving money by talking someone down. This doesn't only apply to online used items. You can often get better prices on certain new items in stores as well. For example, I can almost always get a better price than what's on the tags at furniture stores when I ask. I always list my iPhones $30 higher than I expect to sell them for on Craigslist. I accept the first offer that is for $30 lower than my listed price.
I typically sell my used items between $100 below new or 50% of original purchase, +$25 to buffer for haggling, which ever is the higher yet below all current sales of the closest new matching item.

Assuming your $30 rule, these sellers are expecting for $520 for a used 64GB iPad mini 2 and $220 for a cracked 64GB iPad mini 1.
A *NEW* 32GB iPad mini 2 is regular $379 in Canada. Reasonable for used, IMO is $325 list and $300 sale for the used 64GB. At most, its under $375. $500 is obnoxious.

I've no idea what its like elsewhere but in the Toronto, Canada area, it seems to me that the majority of Apple owners looking to sell their stuff are out of touch...

in any case. thanks for the interact :D

Tattooed Alex

Genius
Gold
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
The CBS app really chaps my hide. I lost CBS the other day through Dish negoations with CBS so Amazing Race didn't record and I was hoping to watch it on the CBS app, but you need to have an all access subscription of $5.99 a month to watch their shows. The app has some pretty bad reviews because of this so it appears my hide isn't the only one being chapped. CBS in general chaps my hide as well since their new negoations removes the autohop feature from their shows on Prime time anytime.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That deep bass (here in Miami the source is usually rap or "reggaeton") from cars or neighbors' stereos, often heard when their volume is at slightly loud listening levels, that permeates readily through walls... and you end up hearing the bass and only the bass from this "music." You don't hear treble, you don't hear lyrics, you don't hear mid-tones... you just that pattern of about 10 or 12 notes that just repeats over... and over... and over. I believe it's called the "bassline" in music terminology. It really Chaps My Hide.

I'm not even talking about those people who turn the volume on their radios up to an obnoxiously ridiculous level, and for five to seven seconds as the evildoer drives by, it makes your house windows rattle like if your house just got possessed by some evil force. Don't get me wrong, I hate that as well; however, that phenomenon doesn't happen often enough to be a problem.

Reactions: Europa

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
I haven't looked to see if it has been posted yet. Even if it has, this much deserves a re-post. I absolutely hate it when someone touches my computer screen. If you want to show me something on my computer screen, that is fine. But keep your greasy little butt scratching fingers off the screen.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
That deep bass (here in Miami the source is usually rap or "reggaeton") from cars or neighbors' stereos, often heard when their volume is at slightly loud listening levels, that permeates readily through walls... and you end up hearing the bass and only the bass from this "music." You don't hear treble, you don't hear lyrics, you don't hear mid-tones... you just that pattern of about 10 or 12 notes that just repeats over... and over... and over. I believe it's called the "bassline" in music terminology. It really Chaps My Hide.
A couple years ago I took my across-the-street neighbor to court over this issue. He likes to hang out in his driveway, washing his truck or whatever, and listening to music from his truck's system. At first I would go over and ask him nicely to turn the bass down and he would apologize and comply. Like you said, the music wasn't that loud but sub the sub woofer frequencies made reading, watching TV or sleeping difficult to impossible. Then one day he basically told me to go screw myself. Long story short, we ended up in court and the judge was going to fine him $270 but I agreed to let it go as long as he didn't continue the practice. :)

Reactions: Europa

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

I'm not even talking about those people who turn the volume on their radios up to an obnoxiously ridiculous level, and for five to seven seconds as the evildoer drives by, it makes your house windows rattle like if your house just got possessed by some evil force. Don't get me wrong, I hate that as well; however, that phenomenon doesn't happen often enough to be a problem.
A couple years ago I took my across-the-street neighbor to court over this issue. He likes to hang out in his driveway, washing his truck or whatever, and listening to music from his truck's system. At first I would go over and ask him nicely to turn the bass down and he would apologize and comply. Like you said, the music wasn't that loud but sub the sub woofer frequencies made reading, watching TV or sleeping difficult to impossible. Then one day he basically told me to go screw myself. Long story short, we ended up in court and the judge was going to fine him $270 but I agreed to let it go as long as he didn't continue the practice. :)
We had small dorm rooms with fairly thin walls when I was stationed in Texas in the Air Force. I frequently had to ask the girl in next room to turn the bass down on her stereo. It would make the pictures on my walls vibrate. She seemed put out by this a lot of times when I asked. I had my wisdom teeth extracted when I was there and got a dry socket. I was miserable and all I wanted was to relax when suddenly heavy bass from her room started vibrating my headboard. The audio assault instantly threw me into rage mode. I climbed out of bed, opened my window, jumped out and headed over to a friend's house. I knew if I opened my door and saw her in the hallway that I would punch her and get kicked out of the military, so I opted to just escape.