Jailbreak iPhone v1 from Win to Mac

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Ok so I know there are TONs of threads about Jailbreaking, I basically found most of the stuff I need.

Here is my question, for some reason I held off jailbreaking my V1 (I think because up until now it was under warranty). But now that I am JBing I am also switching it from a pc to a mac.

I am picking up my new imac at the end of the month, but the iPhone was originally setup on a PC (and has 2.2.1 update).

What do I need to know or to prepare for. I want to JB it on the Mac since that will be the computer it will be residing on till I sell it for the next generation (hopefully in June).

Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can jailbreak it on any computer, it doesn't have to be the one it is sync'd with or is going to be sync'd with. There is a problem with DFU mode on the newest version of the Mac Os X software. Apparently it was unintentional by Apple and will most likely be fixed with the next update. To get around it, just use a USB hub instead of directly connecting the phone to the Mac. There is also a fix for the problem which you can do in Terminal, but it is somewhat complicated. I originally JB mine on a PC without problems. Later I wanted to switch to a Mac and tried to JB on it. I ran into the DFU problem (about midway through the QuickPWN process) and just restarted the phone and then JB it on my PC. Afterwards, I sync'd it with the Mac.

Since you got the 2.2.1 update, you probably won't be able to sell it "unlocked" this summer, but you'll still be able to sell it (for less money than the unlocked ones will be going for).

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Since you got the 2.2.1 update, you probably won't be able to sell it "unlocked" this summer, but you'll still be able to sell it (for less money than the unlocked ones will be going for).
Why does 2.2.1 make a difference in resale?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^because 2.2.1 can't be unlocked at the moment.

i know the new macbooks and macbook pro have a 10.5.6 OS X update that doesn't allow you to complete the jailbreak process, not sure if they new imac you are getting will have the same issue?