Jailbreakers and 2.2

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
who all didn't wait for quickpwn 2.2 to come out and just decided to update anyway. just wondering cause im thinking about doing it first thing in the morning. jb'ing gives my phone a lot of lag when opening up any app.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I restored the other day just because it had been a while. I still haven't upgraded to 2.2 but I think I might and then just wait it out for the Jailbreak.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i upgraded, and am loving it. But i'm on a v1. You 3g-ers may want to keep this in mind:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

If you want to keep that option of a ‘soft-unlock in the near future’ available but you want the new features of 2.2, you will be able to update to 2.2 using a PwnageTool created custom ipsw file that disables the baseband update. You will be able to do this using an updated version of PwnageTool that will be released sometime soon.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I jailbroke my iPhone 3G using QuickPwn 1.1, and it's working just fine. No lag or whatever as long as you don't fill it up with unknown, unnecessary applications from Cydia and Installer.app.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Then you are in the fortunate minority. There are widely reported issues with lag even on vanilla 2.1 iPhones.

NoRegrets78

Jul 25, 2008
My 2.2 has been working so well I am hesitant to jailbreak again. This thing is MUCH faster than it has ever been, and I don't download a lot of apps when I jailbreak...my primary being the wifi toggle, bossprefs and flashlight. The rest I can live without. For now I'm very happy with the 2.2 OEM and until someone says the 2.2 jailbreak is just as fast I'm not going back to modding.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
im jailbroken 2.1 and i haven't updated yet... i can wait... but hearing all these great stories on no lag is making me second guess my decision... but for now im holding off
I can understand you holding off, but it really is a great update. May not have given us tangible things, but the phone is snappy and rock solid in all areas. Best update yet.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Yes yes, I googled right after I read your post.

By the way, can you explain or elaborate on how to do this?

Locked iPhone 3G - Preserve Baseband

This applies if you have a locked iPhone 3G and you wish to update to 2.2 but preserve the iPhone’s current baseband software. Preserving the baseband will give you the maximum chance for any upcoming software unlock. To upgrade your phone to 2.2 and preserve the state of the baseband you need to create a custom .ipsw with PwnageTool. This custom .ipsw will not contain the baseband update but of course will still allow all the cool new stuff from 2.2.
There are plenty of tutorials about this process on the web, but PwnageTool contains intuitive graphics and easy to follow prompts that should have you up and running in no time at all.
Oh and I use a Gevey-3G sim chip, so is that going to be affected? I can't afford to lose it, because I am not in the States and I can not buy any other unlocking chips from here.

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Yes yes, I googled right after I read your post.

By the way, can you explain or elaborate on how to do this?

Oh and I use a Gevey-3G sim chip, so is that going to be affected? I can't afford to lose it, because I am not in the States and I can not buy any other unlocking chips from here.
Have you ever jailbroken your phone?

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Yes, I definitely have. Using QuickPwn 1.1 on Macintosh OSX.
Ok.....essentially what the blog is trying to say is that you cannot use QuickPwn or else it will update your baseband. if you have no intention of ever unlocking your iPhone 3G using a soft unlock then it doesn;t matter. If that's something that you may want to do then you need to use the old fashioned pwnage tool. I've always used the pwnage tool so this isn't an issue for me. I'm really bad with giving directions but I found this walkthrough using the pwnage tool (an older version) but it will work exactly the same.

http://www.macgeekblog.com/blog/archive/2008/07/19/pwnage-20-jailbreak-iphone-3g-now.html

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
In the meantime start downloading the pwnage tool because there server that's I;m downloading from is pretty slow. Start downloading then start reading.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thank you so much. So from what you've said is that I can use PwnageTool to create a ipsw or whatever file so I would prevent my baseband from ever getting updated. Then I can normally update to 2.2 from iTunes 8 on Mac OSX, jailbreak it, and then normally unlock it if any future software unlocking methods come out?

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Almost.......

You create the custom ipsw with pwnage. Then use that custom one to update via iTunes. The directions will walk you through.

DO NOT USE THE IPSW THAT APPLE GIVES YOU!

You only want to download that one so that you can have the pwnage tool customize it

When asked to update the iPhone in iTunes select DOWNLOAD ONLY!