Just Unlocked My iPhone with anySIM!

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Where is this law ?

Apple didn't "prevent unlocking" with the iPhone when it was first released... They released the iPhone already locked. Further, they didn't provide any method to easily unlock it, but they're not required to either.

Technically, at no point have they modified the difficulty of unlocking the iPhone (unless it's been in a lab). As I said, if they intentially release a software update that locks the iPhone (with no other benefit) that would be Illegal. Since the current unlock method is based on modification of the modem firmware, any new firmware version would probably relock it again. This would probably necessitate discovering the correct values in the new firmware. Assuming this new firmware is necessary to fix a problem, Apple hasn't done anything wrong. If they released this firmware update that accomplished nothing but relocking however, a case could be made against Apple. Similiarly, if they suddenly changed the firmware to be encrypted, making it impossible to find/modify the correct value, this could also be considered illegal (maybe). If they put an active system in place (in iTunes say) that checked the iPhone, and if it was unlocked rendered it unusable... that would definitely be Illegal!
So where is the text of this law that you reference ?

Once again, it being legal for a user in the US to unlock their own phone does not dictate that it is illegal for a manufacturer or carrier to do everything they can to prevent the unlock, they are two very different things and you seem to be implying that they are the same.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I don't think Apple is going to block the unlocking anytime soon .. in a recent article it said Apple was going to double the production.. I can be a crap load people have unlocked already and are using T-Mobile.. I know my brother in law is...

Apple knows this way they can make a lot more money... yes they don't get a share of T-Mobile sales but hey wat can you do they still get enough

x-ception

Bronze
Sep 15, 2007
I don't see it there.
open Ibrickr go to Applications and then browse application click on anySim and it will install automatically on your phone .. then go to your phone and click it .. thats it ,,, its unlocked after 15 minutes .

Mr D

Bronze
Sep 13, 2007
open Ibrickr go to Applications and then browse application click on anySim and it will install automatically on your phone .. then go to your phone and click it .. thats it ,,, its unlocked after 15 minutes .
Is there a way to get iBrickr off the phone and have the phone still unlocked after you get rid of iBrickr?

Joker

Aug 1, 2007
I take it it worked for you,but it doesn't work for me..I've tried it 6 times today and keep getting a error when it loads.

x-ception

Bronze
Sep 15, 2007
Is there a way to get iBrickr off the phone and have the phone still unlocked after you get rid of iBrickr?
iBrickr is for windows pc .. you install it on the computer and then connect your phone to it through usb cable(after jailbreaking :if you don't know what that is read the guides) and yes once the phone is unlocked it stays unlocked unless u restore the phone

I take it it worked for you,but it doesn't work for me..I've tried it 6 times today and keep getting a error when it loads.
i unlocked 3 phones with it last night its working great for me ... what error are u getting? and how are you loading it

Mr D

Bronze
Sep 13, 2007
iBrickr is for windows pc .. you install it on the computer and then connect your phone to it through usb cable(after jailbreaking :if you don't know what that is read the guides) and yes once the phone is unlocked it stays unlocked unless u restore the phone

i unlocked 3 phones with it last night its working great for me ... what error are u getting? and how are you loading it
Mistake, I didn't mean iBrickr, but I meant that APP application. Where it updates all applications you can download to the iPhone...is there a way to get that off?

x-ception

Bronze
Sep 15, 2007
Mistake, I didn't mean iBrickr, but I meant that APP application. Where it updates all applications you can download to the iPhone...is there a way to get that off?
after your done using the anySim ... open iBrickr again browse to applications and then click the small red sign in front of anySim and it will remove it form your phone ... it will look all stock again.

iPhone8801

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
So what was the point of unlocking the iPhone again?

Resulting in:

1. Voiding your warranty.

2. Doing something pointless because you are already an AT&T customer.

3. Using any SIM card if you are using a different carrier OR overseas.

Out of curiosity, unless you are NOT an AT&T customer. Why would you unlock your iPhone?

Joker

Aug 1, 2007

I'm loading it off ibrickr,and getting a couldn't locate bytes to patch error....I don't know why it won't just load like it does for everyone else.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
I'm loading it off ibrickr,and getting a couldn't locate bytes to patch error....I don't know why it won't just load like it does for everyone else.

I had this problem with my 5th iPhone unlock (none of the others had this problem) i done a full restore via iTunes on the phone then unlocked the phone (aka jailbreak) and it was network unlocked and picked up the 02 Sim card! :sick: not sure, but you could give that a try?

Mr D

Bronze
Sep 13, 2007
after your done using the anySim ... open iBrickr again browse to applications and then click the small red sign in front of anySim and it will remove it form your phone ... it will look all stock again.
What about the "APPS" application? Will that still be on the phone?

Joker

Aug 1, 2007
Thank's guy's for the info,I'm off to try again.It was getting old to have to de a full restore after each time I tried.I appreciate the help.

x-ception

Bronze
Sep 15, 2007
What about the "APPS" application? Will that still be on the phone?
im kinda confused but i think u mean the pxl that u installed through iBrickr ... if thats the thing your talking about then i dunno anyway to remove that but it doesn't hurt your phone in any way so why would u wana remove it

Mr D

Bronze
Sep 13, 2007
im kinda confused but i think u mean the pxl that u installed through iBrickr ... if thats the thing your talking about then i dunno anyway to remove that but it doesn't hurt your phone in any way so why would u wana remove it
Well if I wanted to unlock it to sell it on eBay, then I would want to get it back to "stock" as possible.

Ok...I'll try to clear up your confusion...

Do you know of that icon on the dashboard thats called "Apps" I believe, and it is blue...you tap it and then it opens up and there are a bunch of applications you can download and install to your phone. From games to finance tracker to nes emulator, etc...

Is there a way to get this icon off the phone? This whole "application" off the phone?

x-ception

Bronze
Sep 15, 2007
Well if I wanted to unlock it to sell it on eBay, then I would want to get it back to "stock" as possible.

Ok...I'll try to clear up your confusion...

Do you know of that icon on the dashboard thats called "Apps" I believe, and it is blue...you tap it and then it opens up and there are a bunch of applications you can download and install to your phone. From games to finance tracker to nes emulator, etc...

Is there a way to get this icon off the phone? This whole "application" off the phone?
oh u mean the installer ... yeah u can remove it form the phone using iBrickr it is listed as installer for me .. may be its called apps in your phone .. but yeah use the same process ... open iBrickr go to applications and u should see it there and then just click the red smal emoticon in front of it and it will remove it

x-ception

Bronze
Sep 15, 2007
I ran it 2x and got 2 different error msgs. I'm running a restore as I type this.:(
thats what u did WRONG u only run it once and it gives u a minicom error(something like flashing was successful but the unlock commands didn't go through) in the end which is fine and that means your phone is unlocked .. but now i dunno whats gona happen