MacBook Latest OS X update

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
... Killed my MacBook. I'll have to check on my hubby MacBook to see what version it was. Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions? It's not in warranty it's the first gen unibody. The updates that were done was the latest iTunes, a security update and an OS update. I've tried resetting the PRAM. I don't know what else to try.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
My MacBook is still on life support. I'm trying to do first aid from my snow leopard disk. At this point all I want to do is save my data before I wipe the thing clean, can anyone help? The Apple store locally (PeachMac) wants to charge $95 just to save the data that's not even fixing or telling me what's wrong with it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
what is the actual problem? hard to say what's wrong with it without symptoms.

some general tips in the meantime:

if you're worried about data, the OSX installer will by default archive your user account data and install OSX around it. Of course, it's always a good idea to do a backup before an OS install. If OSX does not boot normally, you can try a safe boot by holding Shift while booting. It will take a lot longer to boot this way - so give it a few minutes.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Thanks for your reply. All I get is the Apple logo and the spinning gear. I've been able to access my leopard disk but I'm trying to figure out how I can backup my data before I'm forced to restore

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
In that case, you could have a problem with your hard drive. It may be a coincidence it happened with the update.

do you have another mac?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you have (or can get) a firewire cable, hook up your mac to his mac with it and try this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

Assuming your Hard drive is functioning OK, that should allow you to view your files on his mac and copy everything to it.

And by all means, once you get this straightened out, set up Time Machine to backup to an external hard drive.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I was able to use my snow leopard disk utility and it said my hard drive was fine but when I tried to restart in safe mode I got the "no" symbol. I'm considering reinstalling snow leopard but I want to be sure my files don't get erased. Any input?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you want to backup your files, try using the "target Disk" feature i linked to above. that way you'd be able to backup your files to your husband's mac.

I would strongly recommend having a backup before you do an OSX installation.

That being said, you can do an "archive then install" from the OSX disc that would preserve your user account data without having a backup done to a secondary source. There are a few problems with this:

1) never trust a computer to manage your data for you
2) You're not actually doing a "backup". You're just installing OSX around your current user account info, so if something goes wrong...
3) if the problem with your computer is being caused by your user account data (apps, settings, etc), you could end up right where you started: a non-functioning Mac.

I've gotta hit the sack, but maybe sometime tomorrow i can write up a walkthrough on how to do the archive and install for you.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Thx. I was about to buy a FireWire today and got struck cheapness (the cable was $32 and I didn't know if I needed a 6 pin or 4 or what that even meant) I'm desperate to get my files off. Which leads me to another question, if I do lose my data is there a way to get the things I've bought from iTunes back? I've been told about super duper, carbon copy and disk warrior, how will these things help me?

Mustangman210

Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
If you purchased apps there held on there server along with your photos if you downloaded any. Now as to music if you burned and downloaded it or copied these songs they will be there .buuuut as to purchased from the iTunes store I.e music . They will be gone. You can redownload them on your iPhone and yes it will give you that famous you have already purchased this item wish continue. Don't! Reason something to do with copyright laws I had the same problem and got charged again for something I already laid for. I called them at Apple and they told me. You can only buy music once once erased it must be repurchased.sorry but they told me this. Best of luck.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Sorry auto correct changed my wording it's paid not laid. I apologize for the missprint.
Ha no worries. Thx for the reply.
Ive run disk utility a few times and it says my hard drive is fine. Which worries me bc that may mean it's my logic board. I read the article about target disk and my question is, there another way to backup to an external hard drive?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
The best way to save your data is copy it bit for bit right off the drive. You will need a space PC (I don't think Macs let you boot from anything other than the OS X disc) to boot into a live distro of Linux.

1) Remove the drive (we'll call this Drive A) from your Mac.
2) Connect Drive A to your PC via SATA (assuming it is a SATA drive).
3) Connect another drive (we'll call this Drive B) that is the same size or larger than Drive A.
4) Use the dd command to copy Drive A to Drive B using these instructions http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/learn-the-dd-command-362506/

You may not want to overwrite Drive B with the contents of Drive A so I suggest creating an image (.iso). That way you can mount and retrieve you data later. This is the best method to save your data because Drive A may be failing and you want to get the data onto a good drive ASAP.

I hope that helps.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I had the folder with a question mark and it was my hard drive that failed. Luckily it was under warranty but perhaps disk utility is lying to you.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I am at the Apple store now and it's double whammy. Theyre saying it is failing harddrive and he can't retrieve my data AND my warranty expire 2 days ago. I guess that's a triple whammy. :( He did say since it's only been 2 days they'll overlook that but the data retrieval is my big issue and I live 2 hours away. 'I'm shootin bad' right now with this. Any advice on data recover people?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
You can always get you data back its just a matter of how much money you are willing to spend. The Feds can get contents off a hard drive after its been burned, smashed with a hammer, and dropped in the ocean. If you simply google "data recovery after hard drive failure" you will come up with numerous companies that could possibly do it. I would explore those options. Unfortunately my only experience with data recovery is with a program called GetDataBack which only recovers off of Windows machines. After this I would invest in a nice 500gig - 1Tb and get time machine up and running. It saved me back in October when my drive went out.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
It's bittersweet because they replaced my harddrive (with a newer model) and installed iWork and iLife '11 ( which I had '08) all for free even though I was out of warranty. But now I have to pay big money to get my data. It was amazing to me that they replaced my harddrive and let me keep my other one so I could try and get my data. The guy there is a saint!

And yes first thing on the "ta do" list is setup Time machine.