light coming through

projectdarkside

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Yeah man I would suggest just "nipping it in the bud"
-Cause it would just get worser with time and you will probably regret it, plus since their arent any refurbs "yet" you would still get a new phone;)

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
Good luck with getting that fixed! It will be worth it in the end, though. That lint you saw under the screen on the refurb, most likely came from the gap. I have read from others here and over at macrumors that the light gaps let pocket lint in under the screen. :eek: No good....

Dukeboy0169

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
Im in Tampa too. After the nightmares I had with the Apple store in Tampa with my version 1, I swore Id never go back there. So Im stuck. I got my 3G at my local att store, 2 mins from my house. I have the light issue and I want a replacement, but like most of you theres no way Im taking a refurb.

Im thinking I will go back to my att store and tell him to order me another black 16. Im just affraid hes going to say the light issue is a hardware thing so I have to take it to Apple. If that happens, Im going to tell him Id rather pay the termination fee and wait for the HTC Diamond Touch than step foot back into Apple. Apple lied to my face several times, tried to pass off used items as new. One "genius" litterally told me that the refurbs are far better than a brand new iPhone because they go through more extensive testing. Wow, thats just great...

I just know when I get my replacement its going to have more issues. Most likely it will still have the gap. Its never ending. As much as I love this gadget, Im thinking I might be done with it soon.

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Im in Tampa too. After the nightmares I had with the Apple store in Tampa with my version 1, I swore Id never go back there. So Im stuck. I got my 3G at my local att store, 2 mins from my house. I have the light issue and I want a replacement, but like most of you theres no way Im taking a refurb.

Im thinking I will go back to my att store and tell him to order me another black 16. Im just affraid hes going to say the light issue is a hardware thing so I have to take it to Apple. If that happens, Im going to tell him Id rather pay the termination fee and wait for the HTC Diamond Touch than step foot back into Apple. Apple lied to my face several times, tried to pass off used items as new. One "genius" litterally told me that the refurbs are far better than a brand new iPhone because they go through more extensive testing. Wow, thats just great...

I just know when I get my replacement its going to have more issues. Most likely it will still have the gap. Its never ending. As much as I love this gadget, Im thinking I might be done with it soon.
Go into the Apple store and tell them you want to exchange it because you have had too many problems with the phone. If that doesn't work then get a replacement and see how it goes, if it still has problems then go back again and demand an exchange for a brand new one, make sure you take your box with accessories.

Sirius389

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
New Jersey
This probably shouldnt annoy me but it does...

If im in a completely dark room, and Im facing my 3G normally, home screen at the bottom, it appears that the left side where the chrome bezel meets the screen isn't as tight as the right side. The right side is perfect, but on the left, I can see some light from the screen coming through. If I gently squeeze the chrome to the phone, the tiny gap closes and no light comes through.

Anyone else notice this or are both sides perfectly tight? Theres only small areas where you can see the light. Near the top of the screen and near the middle. You only notice it if youre in a completely dark environment.

Anyone elses phone like that? I doubt theyll let me exchange it for something this minor, its just a small annoyance.
I have the same issue if in a really bright light you can actually see the small gap as compared to the right side which is perfectly fine, its in two areas along the left side. It is very annoying, and i keep my phone in my pocket, i haven't gotten a case yet because i don't like whats out there right now, but ill probably pick up something soon just because, i noticed a ton of little scuff marks on the entire back of my phone which was not from a drop or anything, i treat this like a baby, lol. I also don't have anything else in my pocket when it is in there, so hopefully they will replace it or let the Apple store know im coming...I bought it at the AT&T store...:(:(

Sirius389

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
New Jersey
Well I just got back from the AT&T store and everyone there saw the small gap on the left side of my iPhone, so I went online and made a reservation for Monday at one of the Apple stores near me, I have quite a few to choose from, lol. Hopefully the 'Genius' I see will let me get a replacement, I am not taking a refurb or open box phone:mad: I'll be fine if they order one and exchange it when the new one comes in but I will not be without a phone for however long it takes.

Fairy_dust

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
I have that exact same issue. but its not worth it for me to have it replaced. With my wife's v1, I had nothing but problems with refurbs and other than that small issue, the phone works perfectly.
I completely agree with you. I have the same problem which I didn't even notice until I read the thread about the white iPhones cracking. I'm not gonna return mine as I'd be worried they would give me a refurb and would be worse than the one I have now.