List of things that Apple missed BIG TIME! MAJOR disappointment

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
well guys I don't think I will be upgrading one of the main things is no upgrade of memory which I feel will come before christmas leaving me feel like I have moved too quick again. PLASTIC, unless it looks amazing in the flesh i cant get excited about that. Going by ipod history the iPhone three will certainly revert back to a metalic finish again I can not believe no copy and paste! Really come on. No forwarding text messages.

Not being completely negative...,..

I like the look of 2.0 and hopefully some programmes there might offer alternative SMS pacakages for example to allow things that Apple couldnt be bothered with.

I also really like the look of mobile me. I will be signing up for this asap push email for the masses. I have been tinkering with .mac but this blows it out of the water.

The great things here for me although disappointed with the hardware the software is a free upgrade and that has to be cool.

Overall I'm split 50/50 and the good news is that the 50% I like is free. Also at least those of us that stay with version one for a while wont feel to inferior.
I think the plastic back might actually help protect the iPhone a little more from internal damage when dropped. Just seems like it would be a bit more flexible and absorb shock better then metal....just a guess though

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I wasn't specific...sorry. I meant VOICE GUIDED...turn by turn directions like every basic GPS out there. Kind of pointless and dangerous to stare at your iPhone while you're driving. But that's just me.

Very few phones if any come with this out of the box. Tom tom is reportedly ready to go with an iPhone version which is as good as a dedicated GPS device.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I was looking on the web site and not only is it plastic but is "U" shaped, so unlike the current phone that sits flat, that one appears that it will rock (literally) when it is laying down.

I am still way on the fence on this one. Really, the GPS and 3G are all nice and stuff, but the software is what is still irking me. I really want voice dial and I really want a better way to access mms picts that are sent to me. I find it odd that the "most advanced phone in the world" forces me to right information down with a quill and inkwell to actually retrieve a picture, that I cannot then save...... Even a clickable link in the text message would be a light year step in the right direction!

Just because voice dialing was not announced out of the box doesn't mean that a 3rd party developer wont write the program. Microsoft makes it for Windows devices.

Now, no a2dp and mms is downright shamefull.

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
I wasn't specific...sorry. I meant VOICE GUIDED...turn by turn directions like every basic GPS out there. Kind of pointless and dangerous to stare at your iPhone while you're driving. But that's just me.
This is the same thing I mentioned in another thread. The directions I can use and understand the way they are. The voice might be helpful to keep me from missing a turn somewhere along the line though.

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
All I can say is WOW! And they are gonna make everybody wait one more moth for this? They should have atleast kept it a surprise and released it tomorrow. Instead they gave everyone one month to think about it and make the decision NOT to upgrade to the iPhone 3g. I know with each message I read in this forum, I dislike the phone more & more. Very dissapointing. I have always been a windows mobile fan and I fell in love with the iPhone when it came out but I knew it lacked ALOT vs. a windows mobile phone but I always had hopes that v2 would correct this... Guess I was wrong! :(

ddrricky

Aug 12, 2007
Mms

Many of us are complaining that there is no MMS capability with the 3G iPhone but in reality there is. Take a look at mobile Me (a paid subscription of course). BUT, you are able to directly send pictures from one iPhone to the other as well as all sorts of other files.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Very few phones if any come with this out of the box. Tom tom is reportedly ready to go with an iPhone version which is as good as a dedicated GPS device.
Nokia N Series come with this out of the box with real time traffic, and even voice guided WALKING directions! LOL.

Face it, iPhone is stuck in the past.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I was looking on the web site and not only is it plastic but is "U" shaped, so unlike the current phone that sits flat, that one appears that it will rock (literally) when it is laying down.

I am still way on the fence on this one. Really, the GPS and 3G are all nice and stuff, but the software is what is still irking me. I really want voice dial and I really want a better way to access mms picts that are sent to me. I find it odd that the "most advanced phone in the world" forces me to right information down with a quill and inkwell to actually retrieve a picture, that I cannot then save...... Even a clickable link in the text message would be a light year step in the right direction!

I guess i see this different that most. Your blaming the iPhone for not having mms and not blaming the other cell makers for having a decent email function . don't get me wrong there has been times mms would have been useful but i think from Apples point of view mms is backwards thinking . Be kind of like putting an 8track in a corvette

I think the other cell companies just need to catch up

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Nokia N Series come with this out of the box with real time traffic, and even voice guided WALKING directions! LOL.

Face it, iPhone is stuck in the past.

Right, so thats one out of 5000 phones that has it. No Winmo devices have it. No palm devices have it. No blackberry devices have it. Heck, thats the only Nokia phone that has it.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I was looking forward to this as everyone else but am incredibly disappointed with the outcome for the following reasons:

- No voice dialing yet STILL -> really important for driving among other things. Most free phones have had it for years
- No MMS -> Was never a big deal for me on iPhone v1 until people tried sending me picture messages and then I got pissed.
- No Cut/Copy/Paste -> There's been plenty of times when this has caused me to pull my hair out
Incidental and debatable. Probably why they still aren't there. You can't rule any of these out until we actually get 2.0. A third party could also provide some of these.

- No background processes -> They like to make fun of the way WinMo does this but it's the same model used in OSX, Windows, Linux, Unix, etc. It is the most flexible and powerful way of doing stuff...apple's method is going to be a pain and limit what you can do with apps
Why? I think the push method they described is terrific. I hope they improved the way apps can save their state. Again, we'll have to wait until we actually get 2.0.

- Email client still sucks -> From screenshots they added multiple delete/move. WHAT ABOUT SEARCH?!?! How are we supposed to find old emails if I can't even search the email client?!
I use email on the iPhone all the time and it's great. I know some previous 2.0 screen shot showed bcc being added so I'm sure there are improvements to Mail and other things we'll see when we actually get 2.0.

- No Flash support in Safari -> Nokia has had this now in all their N series phones with a Webkit browser (same base as Safari) and it works great! No excuse for Apple here.
Another debatable feature request. We may see this solved in 2.0 when we actually get it and it may be solved by a third party.

- Same 2MP camera - seriously megapixels don't always matter but it looks like the same camera...NO FLASH. NO AUTOFOCUS. NO VIDEO RECORDING. COME ON!
More debatable features. I will be very surprised if there is not at least a third-party app that handles the video recording.

- GPS has live tracking but no turn-by-turn directions -> What use is the GPS if it shows you as a flashing dot on a map. You'll spend the entire time watching it and trying to figure out where to go and get into an accident. Cheap phones have turn-by-turn directions. This sadly doesn't.
We could see some great third-party apps that take advantage of gps.

- No chat client announced -> Will probably come out later in the year but based on Apple's notification model it will royally suck and drain battery since your phone has to maintain a constant connection to Apple's servers
It was already demo'd at the initial sdk announcement earlier in the year. I don't think battery will be so easily affected.

- Plastic back that will both scratch/dent much easier than iPhone v1 and it also will smudge a lot too.
How do you know? Have you seen it or used it or read reviews on it? I don't know how anyone can say this new back will dent or scratch easier than the current iPhone. I found the current iPhone dents plenty easy.

- More expensive data plans. Any other phone on AT&T that's 3G you can use without paying extra for data plans. Engadget is reporting iPhone 3G data will be $30/mo. WTF?
I hear $10/mo more. Seems fine to me.

This is just off the top of my head after the announcement. I'm sure there are many others. If they even addressed a few of these, it'd be a no brainer.
I'm not sure why all of these need to be addressed by Apple and addressed today. I see a lot of options and potential.

Also I laughed out loud when they said iTunes would be used in Corporations for app deployment. Hysterical.
Ok.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
While all the gripes listed here are very valid, one didn't make the list: 3G being "2.8 times faster." What the hell is that? This is what I was waiting for? They call that an upgraded 3G network? I mean come on they can't be serious!

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I guess i see this different that most. Your blaming the iPhone for not having mms and not blaming the other cell makers for having a decent email function . don't get me wrong there has been times mms would have been useful but i think from Apples point of view mms is backwards thinking . Be kind of like putting an 8track in a corvette

I think the other cell companies just need to catch up

Not to jump down your throat here, but you arent getting it. Apple was on the cusp of creating a true masterpiece. A device that does everything. the iPhone 1 was fantastic for what it was but it was limmited. Now, with the chance to really put the best device out there, they have stopped short and have given plenty of people reason not to get it. Their decision is just bizzare. Why NOT add MMS? Why not add A2DP? Why not add copy/paste? These arent cutting edge technologies any more. Theres just no excuse.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Joe, you seem to think that 3rd party apps are the answer to everything, when all the things you "hope" they will bring to the table are features that are not the responsibility of 3rd party app developers, but of Apple's.

Also, if 2.0 really contained all the features you say it might provide, why would Jobs keep his mouth sealed on the subject? He knows better than anyone that people are really seeking out the features that are old news to most other phone users.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Incidental and debatable. Probably why they still aren't there. You can't rule any of these out until we actually get 2.0. A third party could also provide some of these.

Why? I think the push method they described is terrific. I hope they improved the way apps can save their state. Again, we'll have to wait until we actually get 2.0.

I use email on the iPhone all the time and it's great. I know some previous 2.0 screen shot showed bcc being added so I'm sure there are improvements to Mail and other things we'll see when we actually get 2.0.

Another debatable feature request. We may see this solved in 2.0 when we actually get it and it may be solved by a third party.

More debatable features. I will be very surprised if there is not at least a third-party app that handles the video recording.

We could see some great third-party apps that take advantage of gps.

It was already demo'd at the initial sdk announcement earlier in the year. I don't think battery will be so easily affected.

How do you know? Have you seen it or used it or read reviews on it? I don't know how anyone can say this new back will dent or scratch easier than the current iPhone. I found the current iPhone dents plenty easy.

I hear $10/mo more. Seems fine to me.

I'm not sure why all of these need to be addressed by Apple and addressed today. I see a lot of options and potential.

Ok.
You sir are clearly an Apple apologist and there's no point having a discussion with you. I had an iPhone v1 since June 29th, 2007 and for the last year I've held out hope that maybe they'll add these missing crucial things via an update. Which as you know, hasn't happened.

I'm tired of buying something with the chance a feature is there, instead will buy something THAT ALREADY HAS ALL THE FEATURES I WANT!

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Joe, you seem to think that 3rd party apps are the answer to everything, when all the things you "hope" they will bring to the table are features that are not the responsibility of 3rd party app developers, but of Apple's.

Also, if 2.0 really contained all the features you say it might provide, why would Jobs keep his mouth sealed on the subject? He knows better than anyone that people are really seeking out the features that are old news to most other phone users.

Firewire, I think you are totally underestimating what 3rd developers will bring to the iPhone. Winmo is nothing without 3rd party apps.

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
umm, stop drinking the koolaid! Apple really dropped the ball here! Has anyone seen what is on the horizon with PPC phones within the next few months? VGA, loads of memory... higher megapix cameras, youtube standard.... And yes, all higher priced but you know what.... I would rather pay more money for a fully loaded iPhone than $199 or $299 for a half loaded one!

As for 3rd party apps.... Guess everyone is ok with spending loads of money over time for tons of apps... Maybe someone should keep record of the sweet setup iPhone 3g by this time next year and tell us how much it cost to get your iPhone this way! CRAZY!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
i agree with everything you pointed out.
Apple dropped the ball this time. They had a chance to bring features to a popular american phone that could compete with sophisticated overseas phones and they didn't.

they had a chance to make video calling popular and mainstream.. but they didn't.
Remember, my angry friends. iPhone V2 is only Apple's second phone made. The other players mentioned in this thread, have been making phones for years. Give Apple time, the iPhone has come a long way. I am sure that there are more GREAT features to come. Life is to short to ***** about everything. Either buy the phone and love it, or make a different choice of phone. There is no shortage of cellphone's with all the features you want. The iPhone, just might not be for you...Mark :laugh2:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
umm, stop drinking the koolaid! Apple really dropped the ball here! Has anyone seen what is on the horizon with PPC phones within the next few months? VGA, loads of memory... higher megapix cameras, youtube standard.... And yes, all higher priced but you know what.... I would rather pay more money for a fully loaded iPhone than $199 or $299 for a half loaded one!

As for 3rd party apps.... Guess everyone is ok with spending loads of money over time for tons of apps... Maybe someone should keep record of the sweet setup iPhone 3g by this time next year and tell us how much it cost to get your iPhone this way! CRAZY!
Then buy one of the phones you mentioned and stop crying. Steve Jobs, is not putting a gun to anyone's head and making you buy iPhone V2...M