List of things that Apple missed BIG TIME! MAJOR disappointment

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
You sir are clearly an Apple apologist and there's no point having a discussion with you. I had an iPhone v1 since June 29th, 2007 and for the last year I've held out hope that maybe they'll add these missing crucial things via an update. Which as you know, hasn't happened.

I'm tired of buying something with the chance a feature is there, instead will buy something THAT ALREADY HAS ALL THE FEATURES I WANT!
No, I'm a realist and not a pessimist. I've had an iPhone just as long and have had the same types of hopes. I am really looking forward to iPhone 2.0 and all of the doors it will open. The apps will take advantage of the hardware. Apple doesn't have to provide every debatable feature. I don't want them to. I want them to open it up and let the creatives go crazy with it, which they have done. :)

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
The one thing im mainly disappointed about is the plastic back, although I think knowing Apple theyll do something to make it strong and durable. Steve also said it feels reallllly nice too...I mean he would, but still. So maybe it wont be all that bad having a plastic back.
I'm trippin on how Apple took the metal off the back and made buttons and took the plastic buttons and made a back.

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
No, I'm a realist and not a pessimist. I've had an iPhone just as long and have had the same types of hopes. I am really looking forward to iPhone 2.0 and all of the doors it will open. The apps will take advantage of the hardware. Apple doesn't have to provide every debatable feature. I don't want them to. I want them to open it up and let the creatives go crazy with it, which they have done. :)
Exactly, look at what some of the developers pulled off way before the appstore was announced. With Apples blessing now Im sure some amazing apps will be released.

All I want is landscape texting and MMS.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Firewire, I think you are totally underestimating what 3rd developers will bring to the iPhone. Winmo is nothing without 3rd party apps.
I was referring to joe's belief in 3rd party apps bringing features to the iPhone that I think should be standard. How many companies do you know that wait for 3rd party app developers to bring along sms forwarding? Or mms? Or video recording? The funny thing is is that we are HOPING for a 3rd party developer to bring this simple functionality to the phone, it's not even a guarantee.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Oh don't worry there'll be a ton of apps on the AppStore but I'm willing to bet good money that most ones worthwhile will end up costing money. Why?

A) Apple controls entrance into the AppStore so it's not like any joe schmoe can do it. They obviously pick marketable apps and anything where they can make money which leads me to...

B) Apple gets 30% cut of AppStore apps which means they have a vested interest (bottom line) in developers charging for their apps.

So yes, enjoy paying MORE $ for apps that provide the functionality that is already built into most competitor phones today. :D

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Oh don't worry there'll be a ton of apps on the AppStore but I'm willing to bet good money that most ones worthwhile will end up costing money. Why?

A) Apple controls entrance into the AppStore so it's not like any joe schmoe can do it. They obviously pick marketable apps and anything where they can make money which leads me to...

B) Apple gets 30% cut of AppStore apps which means they have a vested interest (bottom line) in developers charging for their apps.

So yes, enjoy paying MORE $ for apps that provide the functionality that is already built into most competitor phones today. :D
This is the whole point of your argument (which I agree with) that for some reason people just don't get. Why should we have to wait and see (nothing written in stone) if a 3rd party app developer will bring us a functionality that should have been on the drawing board from version 1.0.0? Can you imagine if the RAZR required people to WAIT AND SEE if a purchasable app sometime in the future will allow them to forward an SMS? Or take a simple video? I mean come on!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007

Many of your feature requests are debatable. Apple has a clear history of not including features unless they will really be important to most folks. These missing features have obviously not been a hindrance for millions of people to buy it. They see that as a green light to keep doing what they're doing. I agree.

You can have a phone that comes with all of the features you want and not the App Store nor SDK, or you can have a phone that has all of the other stuff most people find most important with an App Store. I choose the latter.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Many of your feature requests are debatable. Apple has a clear history of not including features unless they will really be important to most folks. These missing features have obviously not been a hindrance for millions of people to buy it. They see that as a green light to keep doing what they're doing. I agree.

You can have a phone that comes with all of the features you want and not the App Store nor SDK, or you can have a phone that has all of the other stuff most people find most important with an App Store. I choose the latter.
What gives you the idea that it's one or the other? That's very naive.

Both Blackberry and Nokia devices have very full standard feature sets and HUGE 3rd party software libraries. So yes, it's possible to have both...apple just chooses not to.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
What gives you the idea that it's one or the other? That's very naive.

Both Blackberry and Nokia devices have very full standard feature sets and HUGE 3rd party software libraries. So yes, it's possible to have both...apple just chooses not to.
Nice label. Anyway, I didn't say they don't have software. What they lack is the App Store and that sweet iPhone SDK, besides an iPod, multi-touch, Safari, beautiful interface...........

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I don't see the iPhone getting MMS ever, if you watch the keynote address you can now upload pics you take to an album through mobileme, and send the link to people.

This is how Apple works, they are more about freedom which is why Im surprised they locked the iPhone to att in the first place.

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Then buy one of the phones you mentioned and stop crying. Steve Jobs, is not putting a gun to anyone's head and making you buy iPhone V2...M

MMS is not new. My wife's cheap 5 year old phone thats good as a door stop has it! Why not the iPhone..? Its not about giving them a brake because its the first time they have done it... Its a competitive world and that holds to the cell phone businesss. I had the iPhone and a PDA phone and I switched back between the 2 for months so I'm not saying the iPhone is a disaster. Is is some what of a pioneer of its kind but there are some bad choices made when you leave out simple features and not to mention demand that AT&T shut down modders for developing mods to enable items such as MMS that they never offered from the start.

PS - 75% of the posts that are active in this forum are now negative and from disappointed customers on the news release for iPhone 3g.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
MMS is not new. My wife's cheap 5 year old phone thats good as a door stop has it! Why not the iPhone..? Its not about giving them a brake because its the first time they have done it... Its a competitive world and that holds to the cell phone businesss. I had the iPhone and a PDA phone and I switched back between the 2 for months so I'm not saying the iPhone is a disaster. Is is some what of a pioneer of its kind but there are some bad choices made when you leave out simple features and not to mention demand that AT&T shut down modders for developing mods to enable items such as MMS that they never offered from the start.

PS - 75% of the posts that are active in this forum are now negative and from disappointed customers on the news release for iPhone 3g.
And once again I say, then don't buy it. End of story...Mark

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I don't see the iPhone getting MMS ever, if you watch the keynote address you can now upload pics you take to an album through mobileme, and send the link to people.
I can send a LINK now! I don't need MobileMe to enable this "feature."
This is how Apple works, they are more about freedom which is why Im surprised they locked the iPhone to att in the first place.
How is tying us to MobileMe (a paid service) freedom? It sounds more like they want to chain everybody to them.

Maybe you need to rethink your analyses of Apple. It seems to all of us that Apple is more about MONEY than freedom. Just look at the GPS development - or lack of it rather.

And it's completely ridiculous for Apple to not have included a better camera, MMS, Copy/Paste, A2DP, the other bluetooth profiles, and of course freaking video!

But I am FURIOUS about the missing A2DP. I mean SERIOUSLY! Come ON Apple! Let's enter the 21st century OK!? This is the most powerful audio device ever created. For Apple to keep us chained with a cable to listen to music is completely ridiculous. A2DP phones have been out for 3 YEARS!

And why did they stop at 16GB? I really expected a 32GB version. Now you KNOW I'm going to wait till we jailbreak the 3G. No way I'm buying a 16GB 3G. All I can see useful for me is the GPS. I'm not too unhappy with EDGE speeds.

And about turn by turn directions with audio and everything a Garmin or Tom Tom has... that is absolutely something that a 3rd party developer will do (and charge a lot for of course). I will be willing to bet that Apple leaves the features out ON PURPOSE because providing the space for 3rd party developers to create a truly feature rich GPS app will give Apple another 30% revenue stream. Had they included it with the Google App, they would have had to invest in development and receive nothing but increased brand loyalty instead of the disloyalty they are receiving now. I think even some of the fanboy apologists are going to lose faith after this one. Maybe they'll finally open their eyes, read the old threads and realize that we were right about Apple all along.

(Still like my iPhone though. But it could be so much better. It pisses me off on a daily basis just not having copy/paste - and Safari STILL crashing!)

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
don't buy the phone if you don't want it. jesus i cant believe i just read all this negative points. if you don't like what you see here, then move on. if you want mms like your old crappy nokia, then go and buy that. new or old iPhone is not for everyone. if its not for you, then don't bash it. we can all sit here and talk crap about other phones that don't have great music players in it, but i don't see that.

no one is forcing you to buy the iPhone 3g. just remember that.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Can't most of what you want in the phone be taken care of with SDK? Or not?

My guess is that there are apps in dev that would help somewhat.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
don't buy the phone if you don't want it. jesus i cant believe i just read all this negative points. if you don't like what you see here, then move on. if you want mms like your old crappy nokia, then go and buy that. new or old iPhone is not for everyone. if its not for you, then don't bash it. we can all sit here and talk crap about other phones that don't have great music players in it, but i don't see that.

Didn't you watch the keynote? Jobs himself said that he listens to what consumers want, and he tries to deliver. Without people complaining and expressing what they want in a product, how is Apple going to develop the phone into what the masses will buy to achieve their sales goals?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007

What a ridiculously falacious argument. So I'm supposed to suffer with a poorly designed fully implimented device like the N95 instead of requesting the other half of my well designed iPhone? I am sooo sick of you fanboys telling me that I can't have an iPhone if I complain.

Can't most of what you want in the phone be taken care of with SDK? Or not?

My guess is that there are apps in dev that would help somewhat.
Only a more fully implemented GPS, and I can guarantee that sucker's not going to be $9.99 like the games we saw. Too useful. Probably more like $40.

If A2DP could have been implemented then the people who brought us jailbreak would have given it to us. Copy/Paste needs to be written at the core level so every application can have access to it. Someone can give us a video recorder. It's already been done on the first gen iPhone. But only Apple can give us a better camera.

Didn't you watch the keynote? Jobs himself said that he listens to what consumers want, and he tries to deliver.
You guys have been on EIC for awhile, even when it was EIP. What is the most requested feature on the first gen iPhone? Copy/Paste.

BAM! There goes Steve Jobs' claim that he listens to his customers. What he said was an outright LIE!

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Well, like I said, Jobs "tries" to deliver what his disciples ask for. For the most part, he has. Let's face it. The phone seriously is the most revolutionary mobile device on the market and I am glad to have it, albeit it is far from perfect.

i dealt with a Treo for a while, and am more than 10fold happier with my iPhone. It's just a more fluid experience using iPhone.

Steve seems to be catering to the businesss user this time around so I can't imagine copy/paste would be an absolute no show in the near future.

It's only been one year since introduction and most other mobile platforms have been through several different evolutions, but none compare to this one for me.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Well, like I said, Jobs "tries" to deliver what his disciples ask for. For the most part, he has. Let's face it. The phone seriously is the most.
Like the scientific calculator, huh? Yeah, I know a LOOOOOT of us were waiting for that.