List of things that Apple missed BIG TIME! MAJOR disappointment

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I was looking forward to this as everyone else but am incredibly disappointed with the outcome for the following reasons:

- No voice dialing yet STILL -> really important for driving among other things. Most free phones have had it for years
- No MMS -> Was never a big deal for me on iPhone v1 until people tried sending me picture messages and then I got pissed.
- No Cut/Copy/Paste -> There's been plenty of times when this has caused me to pull my hair out
- No background processes -> They like to make fun of the way WinMo does this but it's the same model used in OSX, Windows, Linux, Unix, etc. It is the most flexible and powerful way of doing stuff...apple's method is going to be a pain and limit what you can do with apps
- Email client still sucks -> From screenshots they added multiple delete/move. WHAT ABOUT SEARCH?!?! How are we supposed to find old emails if I can't even search the email client?!
- No Flash support in Safari -> Nokia has had this now in all their N series phones with a Webkit browser (same base as Safari) and it works great! No excuse for Apple here.
- Same 2MP camera - seriously megapixels don't always matter but it looks like the same camera...NO FLASH. NO AUTOFOCUS. NO VIDEO RECORDING. COME ON!
- GPS has live tracking but no turn-by-turn directions -> What use is the GPS if it shows you as a flashing dot on a map. You'll spend the entire time watching it and trying to figure out where to go and get into an accident. Cheap phones have turn-by-turn directions. This sadly doesn't.
- No chat client announced -> Will probably come out later in the year but based on Apple's notification model it will royally suck and drain battery since your phone has to maintain a constant connection to Apple's servers
- Plastic back that will both scratch/dent much easier than iPhone v1 and it also will smudge a lot too.
- More expensive data plans. Any other phone on AT&T that's 3G you can use without paying extra for data plans. Engadget is reporting iPhone 3G data will be $30/mo. WTF?

This is just off the top of my head after the announcement. I'm sure there are many others. If they even addressed a few of these, it'd be a no brainer.

Also I laughed out loud when they said iTunes would be used in Corporations for app deployment. Hysterical.
I am having a hard time understanding a lot of the negativity in this thread. I understand that the iPhone came out last year and people paid buttloads of cash for a 1st generation device. I am sure some people are angry that they paid so much and now its half the price for phone that will most likely be superior to its predecessor.
I was in the market for a smartphone last year and decided to go with Mogul for Sprint service. Mostly I made this decision because I knew the iPhone would be missing a ton of features and I was happy with Sprint at the time. While I find that the windows mobile device can do everything under the sun, I have found that windows mobile is a beast. The phone is very sluggish and needs to be reset almost daily. Programs don't close in the background without some work and battery life sucks. It can do a lot of things, but doesn't perform well while doing them. Plus MMS was not supported. The phone had the capability, but Sprint blocked it. Ever thought that ATT may be doing the same thing.
Ask yourself if you want a phone that can do everything, but run like crap and crash everyday? Or do you want a phone that has some limitations, but has an incredible UI and display.

As for the shortcomings you mentioned
1 voice dialing would be nice, but I never use it because my experience with it has been negative
2.MMS- lots of phones have it, but you have to really pay for the service. ***** to the carrier about it
3 Cut/Copy/Paste. I am not a corporate man that needs to edit documents on the run. I could care less.
4 No Background Processes. Halleluah! Praise Jesus for this. Hopefully the push technology being implemented in the new SDK will help alleviate some concerns about this. Background processes would only slow the phone down and eat battery life
5. Not sure about the email client. I rarely if ever search for old emails
6. Flash. From what I hear flash would only slow down Safari and cause more system crashes
7. I agree that more MP on the camera would be nice, but would also take up more memory.
8. Turn by turn with voice would be nice. Who says it won't be on the phone in the future?
9. Plastic back. I liked the metal back as well. But from what I hear the iPhone gets real hot and reception blows. Hopefully this helps alleviate some of these problems

It seems like people assume Apple is just being cheap. Maybe there is a reason for these changes and lack of upgrades. Maybe people should just stick with their original iPhone, honor their contract, and get the 3rd generation phone next summer

I for one will sell my super powerful, yet slower than crap windows mobile device and get in line for the new iPhone. Can't wait for those apps.

kila

Jun 28, 2008
I think the reason Apple left all of this stuff out, is because of the AppStore. I mean, when you think about it, iPhone didn't have a lot of things that people wanted, but when you jailbreak it, you can literally almost do anything.

Now that Apple is releasing the AppStore, who's to say that any, if not all, of these "missed" things will be created by developers.

I'm willing to bet that someone will create copy/paste apps, talking GPS add-ins, MMS apps, etc.

Apple's not one for being behind everyone else.
They just focused on the hardware and physical improvements of the phone, and let developers take care of the 'goodies.'

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I am sure some people are angry that they paid so much and now its half the price for phone that will most likely be superior to its predecessor.
I keep saying this ad nauseum, but I will keep doing so until the misconception stops spreading.

A V1 8G phone, which was unsubsidized, after the inital price drop, was $400. It's still holding darn near that value on Ebay.

A V2 8G phone, unsubsidized, is going to cost over $500. Reports say $525. If you get it at the subsidized price of $200, you will be paying the rest back (plus extra if you do the math) in your 2 year contract. That's how subsidizing works.

All told, the new phone is going to be more expensive than the old phone, no matter if you look at it from the perspective of outright, unsubsidized cost, or subsidized with a 2-year contract period.

We just need to keep comparing Apples to Apples, pun intended. I'll say this over and over again, folks. Sorry. :sick:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I too have done this before and will do it again. This is assuming you take the 200 txt. msg. plan.
$15/mo moreX 24 mos.=$360+$200 for the 8gb phone=$560.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I keep saying this ad nauseum, but I will keep doing so until the misconception stops spreading.

A V1 8G phone, which was unsubsidized, after the inital price drop, was $400. It's still holding darn near that value on Ebay.

A V2 8G phone, unsubsidized, is going to cost over $500. Reports say $525. If you get it at the subsidized price of $200, you will be paying the rest back (plus extra if you do the math) in your 2 year contract. That's how subsidizing works.

All told, the new phone is going to be more expensive than the old phone, no matter if you look at it from the perspective of outright, unsubsidized cost, or subsidized with a 2-year contract period.

We just need to keep comparing Apples to Apples, pun intended. I'll say this over and over again, folks. Sorry. :sick:
As far as I or anybody really knows there is no iPhone 3G without a contract. For me this is cheaper. I am expecting that my corporate discount will work this time around, meaning I will be paying less than the iPhone plans from last summer