I am having a hard time understanding a lot of the negativity in this thread. I understand that the iPhone came out last year and people paid buttloads of cash for a 1st generation device. I am sure some people are angry that they paid so much and now its half the price for phone that will most likely be superior to its predecessor.I was looking forward to this as everyone else but am incredibly disappointed with the outcome for the following reasons:
- No voice dialing yet STILL -> really important for driving among other things. Most free phones have had it for years
- No MMS -> Was never a big deal for me on iPhone v1 until people tried sending me picture messages and then I got pissed.
- No Cut/Copy/Paste -> There's been plenty of times when this has caused me to pull my hair out
- No background processes -> They like to make fun of the way WinMo does this but it's the same model used in OSX, Windows, Linux, Unix, etc. It is the most flexible and powerful way of doing stuff...apple's method is going to be a pain and limit what you can do with apps
- Email client still sucks -> From screenshots they added multiple delete/move. WHAT ABOUT SEARCH?!?! How are we supposed to find old emails if I can't even search the email client?!
- No Flash support in Safari -> Nokia has had this now in all their N series phones with a Webkit browser (same base as Safari) and it works great! No excuse for Apple here.
- Same 2MP camera - seriously megapixels don't always matter but it looks like the same camera...NO FLASH. NO AUTOFOCUS. NO VIDEO RECORDING. COME ON!
- GPS has live tracking but no turn-by-turn directions -> What use is the GPS if it shows you as a flashing dot on a map. You'll spend the entire time watching it and trying to figure out where to go and get into an accident. Cheap phones have turn-by-turn directions. This sadly doesn't.
- No chat client announced -> Will probably come out later in the year but based on Apple's notification model it will royally suck and drain battery since your phone has to maintain a constant connection to Apple's servers
- Plastic back that will both scratch/dent much easier than iPhone v1 and it also will smudge a lot too.
- More expensive data plans. Any other phone on AT&T that's 3G you can use without paying extra for data plans. Engadget is reporting iPhone 3G data will be $30/mo. WTF?
This is just off the top of my head after the announcement. I'm sure there are many others. If they even addressed a few of these, it'd be a no brainer.
Also I laughed out loud when they said iTunes would be used in Corporations for app deployment. Hysterical.
I was in the market for a smartphone last year and decided to go with Mogul for Sprint service. Mostly I made this decision because I knew the iPhone would be missing a ton of features and I was happy with Sprint at the time. While I find that the windows mobile device can do everything under the sun, I have found that windows mobile is a beast. The phone is very sluggish and needs to be reset almost daily. Programs don't close in the background without some work and battery life sucks. It can do a lot of things, but doesn't perform well while doing them. Plus MMS was not supported. The phone had the capability, but Sprint blocked it. Ever thought that ATT may be doing the same thing.
Ask yourself if you want a phone that can do everything, but run like crap and crash everyday? Or do you want a phone that has some limitations, but has an incredible UI and display.
As for the shortcomings you mentioned
1 voice dialing would be nice, but I never use it because my experience with it has been negative
2.MMS- lots of phones have it, but you have to really pay for the service. ***** to the carrier about it
3 Cut/Copy/Paste. I am not a corporate man that needs to edit documents on the run. I could care less.
4 No Background Processes. Halleluah! Praise Jesus for this. Hopefully the push technology being implemented in the new SDK will help alleviate some concerns about this. Background processes would only slow the phone down and eat battery life
5. Not sure about the email client. I rarely if ever search for old emails
6. Flash. From what I hear flash would only slow down Safari and cause more system crashes
7. I agree that more MP on the camera would be nice, but would also take up more memory.
8. Turn by turn with voice would be nice. Who says it won't be on the phone in the future?
9. Plastic back. I liked the metal back as well. But from what I hear the iPhone gets real hot and reception blows. Hopefully this helps alleviate some of these problems
It seems like people assume Apple is just being cheap. Maybe there is a reason for these changes and lack of upgrades. Maybe people should just stick with their original iPhone, honor their contract, and get the 3rd generation phone next summer
I for one will sell my super powerful, yet slower than crap windows mobile device and get in line for the new iPhone. Can't wait for those apps.