Looking forward to iPhone 4G

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
iPad or 4g iPhone, that is the question? I don't think my wife would be too happy if I tried to get both. :(

I just hope that Apple at least announces the new iPhone before the iPads go on sale end of next month. At least then I could make an informed decision between the two.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's true. Some people want the phone in hand the first day when it comes out. I guess it all depends on the person.
Like I said, you can have them delivered on release day with free shipping. It's considered overnight shipping, so they arrive early. I had mine at 10:30 a.m.

Beemer

Bronze
Jan 24, 2010
Calgary AB, Scottsdale, AZ
The problem with the 4G technology is there are no networks really ready for it. There currently are no 4G devices out there (Sprint has been advertising it is ready to release one this summer) and the manufactures are having issues developing them. Most of the 4G suppliers will be using the LTE (long term evolution) technology, with the exception of Sprint, and it is not backwards compatible with the 3G networks such as HSPDA. So, when 4G actually does come out, and you know it will be spoty (look at 3G still), how reliable will your phone be? the phone makers need to find a way to revert back to 3G or even EDGE when outside the 4G networks and they haven't really figured out how to do that yet. Do you put two modems in each phone? That might drive the cost up a bit too much and how does passover work when switching between modems? You think you have a lot of dropped calls now!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The problem with the 4G technology is there are no networks really ready for it. There currently are no 4G devices out there (Sprint has been advertising it is ready to release one this summer) and the manufactures are having issues developing them. Most of the 4G suppliers will be using the LTE (long term evolution) technology, with the exception of Sprint, and it is not backwards compatible with the 3G networks such as HSPDA. So, when 4G actually does come out, and you know it will be spoty (look at 3G still), how reliable will your phone be? the phone makers need to find a way to revert back to 3G or even EDGE when outside the 4G networks and they haven't really figured out how to do that yet. Do you put two modems in each phone? That might drive the cost up a bit too much and how does passover work when switching between modems? You think you have a lot of dropped calls now!
In this particular instance, the 4G reference is to the 4th Generation iPhone - Not the network. LTE is years from being implemented properly, and it makes no sense to have a phone built now that can utilize it, if it's not available.
And when the LTE network IS implemented, the latest and greatest phone will have the tech to use it, and the current 3G and edge infrastructure.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
In this particular instance, the 4G reference is to the 4th Generation iPhone - Not the network. LTE is years from being implemented properly, and it makes no sense to have a phone built now that can utilize it, if it's not available.
And when the LTE network IS implemented, the latest and greatest phone will have the tech to use it, and the current 3G and edge infrastructure.
Well put, Hawk. I was just going to say this thread is talking about the 4th Generation iPhone, not a 4G network...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It would help if people adopted the standard of placing the G first when referring to generations:

G1 used 2.5G
G2 used 3G
G3 used 3G
G4 uses ?

But then perhaps we'd just get confused with Google phones. ;)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well, we have the V1 (version 1 or original iPhone), the 3G, the 3Gs, and ...? Want to start calling it iPhone 4? Maybe Apple will pick-up on it in time for the Announcement.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the iPhone 4!"

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm in favor of using Vs to describe phone generations. If only for the reason that G is obviously used for networks, and Apple has done a bang-up job confusing people of that.

iPhone MkI, MkII, etc also sounds cool.

DLagerstedt

Aug 20, 2007
my 3g died(out of warranty), my contract is not up till middle of march.... now I will put up with a stupid flip phone until the 4g is out....

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Same thing happened with my Version 1 phone. I get Apple care now within 3 months of my 1st year warranty ending. Worth the money.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
or you could look at it as $70 you could put towards the next-gen iPhone that comes with another year warranty. then sell your previous phone to make even more back...

food for thought.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
^ Exactly. Forget about Apple Care and get a new one every year. They're free if you sell your old one on eBay and sign a new contract.