MacBook Pro MacBook Air or MacBook Pro

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
After I get my MacPro (maybe tomorrow) I am going to download 4.3.5 to my iPhone. Then I am going to try to summon the courage to jailbreak the iPhone so I can use my laptop outside without having to pay megabucks to AT&T. I don't want to have to use it only in hotspots and I want to keep my unlimited usage plan. I'm really kind of spooked at just the thought of my trying to jailbreak, but now that I'll have a computer if anything goes wrong everything will be backed up and I can just restore. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
What firmware are you currently on? If you update to 4.3.5 your jailbreak will be tethered and I don't think you want that. If you are on 4.3.4 you're in the same boat but @4.3.3 or before you'll have an untethered jailbreak. Also, you'll want to be careful using unauthorized means of tethering as at@t can detect this.

And yes, you can easily restore to stock if anything goes wrong. Be sure to read up a bit in the JB section of the forum.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
After I get my MacPro (maybe tomorrow) I am going to download 4.3.5 to my iPhone. Then I am going to try to summon the courage to jailbreak the iPhone so I can use my laptop outside without having to pay megabucks to AT&T. I don't want to have to use it only in hotspots and I want to keep my unlimited usage plan. I'm really kind of spooked at just the thought of my trying to jailbreak, but now that I'll have a computer if anything goes wrong everything will be backed up and I can just restore. Right?

Does what I just said make sense? Anyone? Europa?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Does what I just said make sense? Anyone? Europa?
I agree with what Kadelic said.

Updating to 4.3.5 would be a bad idea in this case because it's a tethered jailbreak. Stay on whatever firmware version you are already on, use an untethered jailbreak, and then install a tethering app.

Clarification of terms:
Tethering app - A Cydia app that will allow you to use your phone's data connection on your MBP so you don't have to pay carrier tethering fees.
Tethered jailbreak - The phone must be booted from a computer.
Untethered jailbreak - The phone will boot like a stock iPhone.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
I agree with what Kadelic said.

Updating to 4.3.5 would be a bad idea in this case because it's a tethered jailbreak. Stay on whatever firmware version you are already on, use an untethered jailbreak, and then install a tethering app.

Clarification of terms:
Tethering app - A Cydia app that will allow you to use your phone's data connection on your MBP so you don't have to pay carrier tethering fees.
I am soo glad I checked with you guys first! I thought I had read something about AT&T being able to detect unauthorized tethering but wasn't sure. <whew!> Last week in the aborted download I called Apple Store first so they could walk me through it. I planned on calling them again this time too. But I will be sure to tell the tech I want to upgrade only to 4.3.3. I hope he/she doesn't report me to AT&T!

Tethered jailbreak - The phone must be booted from a computer.
Untethered jailbreak - The phone will boot like a stock iPhone.
I am soo glad I checked with you guys first! I thought I had read something about AT&T being able to detect unauthorized tethering but wasn't sure. <whew!> Last week in the aborted download I called Apple Store first so they could walk me through it. I planned on calling them again this time too. But I will be sure to tell the tech I want to upgrade only to 4.3.3. I hope he/she doesn't report me to AT&T!

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
Okay. First I jailbreak. THEN I download new software? Right now my iPhone is still on 4.0.1. If I update I can go only as far as 4.3.3 and then install a tethering app. Is the correct order: (1) jailbreak; (2) backup my phone and download to 4.3.3; (3) install tethering app?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I fixed your last two posts so your comments are outside of the quotes. When you quote someone, be sure to put your comment after the /quote tag. :)

What firmware version are you on right now? If your iPhone doesn't have a saved 4.3.3 SHSH, you won't be able to update to it. Assuming you haven't saved them, your options are to stay where you are or update to 4.3.5 - and I strongly recommend staying where you are if you want to jailbreak.

Just don't tether excessively. I recommend keeping usage under 2 GB/month to stay under the radar (even if you have an unlimited data plan).

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Okay. First I jailbreak. THEN I download new software? Right now my iPhone is still on 4.0.1. If I update I can go only as far as 4.3.3 and then install a tethering app. Is the correct order: (1) jailbreak; (2) backup my phone and download to 4.3.3; (3) install tethering app?
You cannot update to 4.3.3 if you did not save your 4.3.3 SHSH with Tiny Umbrella. If that sentence sounded Greek to you, you don't have it and you won't be able to update to 4.3.3. ;)

Since you lack a 4.3.3 SHSH, you can't have the best of both worlds. You'll have to make a decison based on which is more important to you.
1. If you want the latest iPhone firmware features, update to 4.3.5. The jailbreak is tethered, though, and that's not good.
2. If you want an easy untethered jailbreak and free tethering, stay on 4.0.1. You won't have the lastest firmware features, though.

I'd choose option #2.

Steps for option #2:
1. Jailbreak with limera1n (there are other jailbreak tools to choose from, but this is the one I recommend).
2. Click the limera1n icon and install Cydia
3. Install MyWi in Cydia

We've really gone off topic here. If you have any more jailbreaking questions, please start a thread in the jailbreak forum. I'll be happy to help in the new thread. Thanks. :)

Reactions: Dazzle7000

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
You cannot update to 4.3.3 if you did not save your 4.3.3 SHSH with Tiny Umbrella. If that sentence sounded Greek to you, you don't have it and you won't be able to update to 4.3.3. ;)

Since you lack a 4.3.3 SHSH, you can't have the best of both worlds. You'll have to make a decison based on which is more important to you.
1. If you want the latest iPhone firmware features, update to 4.3.5. The jailbreak is tethered, though, and that's not good.
2. If you want an easy untethered jailbreak and free tethering, stay on 4.0.1. You won't have the lastest firmware features,
though.

I'd choose option #2.

Steps for option #2:

1. Jailbreak with limera1n (there are other jailbreak tools to choose from, but this is the one I recommend).
2. Click the limera1n icon and install Cydia
3. Install MyWi in Cydia

We've really gone off topic here. If you have any more jailbreaking questions, please start a thread in the jailbreak forum. I'll be
happy to help in the new thread. Thanks. :)
Definitely Option 2 and I'll put it in the jailbreak section. I'm having a horrible time posting anything with the new software. Error codes pop up all over the place and it's almost impossible to know where to type!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Definitely Option 2 and I'll put it in the jailbreak section. I'm having a horrible time posting anything with the new software. Error codes pop up all over the place and it's almost impossible to know where to type!
You don't have to use the app... works in Safari. You won't even be able to use the app for the jailbreak forums.

Michael

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
I guess I won't be able to get 5.0 when it comes out either. I'll have to wait for a new jailbreak program to come out. Could I have saved SHH and Tiny Fairy if I had known about them?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, you could have saved an SHSH for each firmware while it was the current version. The signing window for all ten firmware versions prior to 4.3.5 has closed, so it's too late to save 4.3.4 and lower.

We'll all have to wait for an untethered jailbreak for 5.0. I have all of my 4.x firmware SHSHs saved but I have no advantage over you with 5.0. SHSHs only help you restore to outdated firmware. 5.0 hasn't even been released yet.

Here's the jailbreak forum. It's a more suitable place for these questions. Please start a thread there. Use Mobile Safari, not the iCafe app.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
Yes, you could have saved an SHSH for each firmware while it was the current version. The signing window for all ten firmware versions prior to 4.3.5 has closed, so it's too late to save 4.3.4 and lower.

We'll all have to wait for an untethered jailbreak for 5.0. I have all of my 4.x firmware SHSHs saved but I have no advantage over you with 5.0. SHSHs only help you restore to outdated firmware. 5.0 hasn't even been released yet.

Here's the jailbreak forum. It's a more suitable place for these questions. Please start a thread there. Use Mobile Safari, not the iCafe app.
Thank you, Europa. Right now my brain is reeling at the thought of jailbreaking but once I've done it I know I'll be glad I did. Whenever you download software for iPhone and iPad it updates everything up to date. I can't program it to stop after 4.3? Got my MacPro and I'm going to spend some time getting acquainted with it first and then I'll want to sync everything on the phone to my computer. Then I'll do some reading up, take a few Valium (joke) and dive in!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Cool. Congrats on the new MBP! Here's a guide to help you get your iPhone synced with it without losing any data. Is this your first Mac?

How to turn off updates in iTunes:
iTunes > Preferences > General > Uncheck the box next to Check for new software updates automatically

The other option is to select No, and don't remind me when it asks if you want to update to the latest firmware.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
Cool. Congrats on the new MBP! Here's a guide to help you get your iPhone synced with it without losing any data. Is this your first Mac?

How to turn off updates in iTunes:
iTunes > Preferences > General > Uncheck the box next to Check for new software updates automatically

The other option is to select No, and don't remind me when it asks if you want to update to the latest firmware.
Yes it is. My First Mac! Thanks for the tip! After my iPhone is synced would then reset it to update automatically?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No. I thought you didn't want it to check for updates? Just follow the guide I linked to in my previous post then follow the directions I posted for turning off automatic checking for updates. Either way, it won't automatically update the firmware. You have to initiate the update so turning off checking for updates really isn't necessary. I just check 'no and don't remind me' when a new firmware update is available. People tend to make this much more complicated than it really is.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
No. I thought you didn't want it to check for updates? Just follow the guide I linked to in my previous post then follow the directions I posted for turning off automatic checking for updates. Either way, it won't automatically update the firmware. You have to initiate the update so turning off checking for updates really isn't necessary. I just check 'no and don't remind me' when a new firmware update is available. People tend to make this much more complicated than it really is.
PC's ask that question too and I've always checked yes because of course I want to be updated, without really thinking about it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you don't jailbreak, there is no reason not to update as soon as it's available. Jailbreakers need to wait.