MacBook Pro MacBook Pro beach ball?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Or we could just not wait? ;)
Wait while staring at one-dimensional peppermint candy on drugs? Cause really, that beach ball looks like your typical, run-of-the-mill peppermint candy except that's it's high on Ecstacy.

candy.jpg
plussign.jpg
MDNA.jpg
plussign.jpg
Moby_play.jpg
equalssign.jpg
beachball.jpg

Do, what do you want to stare at this beachball with its undeniable roots in illicit substances?

:eek::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I keep constantly getting the Loading beachball.

I have only got iTunes and Safari running and still I get the beachball. I do not think it is hardware related as I have a 2.3GHz Quad-Core intel i7 and 16GB of RAM.

HELP!
You're correct, it's not hardware. You need to reinstall Mountain Lion:

Reinstalling Lion/Mountain Lion Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion and click on the Continue button.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
You're correct, it's not hardware. You need to reinstall Mountain Lion:

Reinstalling Lion/Mountain Lion Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion and click on the Continue button.
Thanks Europa. I am re-installing as I type. If this doesn't work Ill check out disk utility! Only 4 hours to wait!

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
This thread went quiet! :)

Ended up taking my Macbook to the Apple store. The guy booted off of an external HD with OSX installed. Booted up in a minuted and ran like a champ. Short story. Bad HD. Just got a 750GB Seagate Hybrid 7200RPM for $150 from Best Buy. So far RUNNING LIKE A CHAMP!

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Ugh its just with everything I do. iTunes = Beachball. Then when I plug my iPhone in and iPhoto loads. OMG SO SLOW. I upgraded to 16GB of RAM to avoid this.
Our iMacs did the same when Aperture loaded (30k pictures). Turned off 'Faces'. What a relief it is!