MMS and 3.1

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
I'm a little bit confused, so I have some questions:

1) when will the final version of 3.1 come out?

2) Will MMS be activated through a carrier update or a firmware update?

3) Will 3.1 activate MMS for US iPhones?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
1) No one knows the release date of 3.1. Probably not even Apple, but I would guess it's somewhere between now and mid september since that is when mms will probably be supported by AT&T.

2) It could be either. Apple might wait and release 3.1 when AT&T is ready. Hypothetically if AT&T was ready tomorrow then it would be a carrier update.

3) I am on 3.1 and it has not activated mms and probably will never activate mms. Everything that will make mms work now is on AT&T's end with whatever update Apple releases at the time for people on 3.0 or 3.0.1 so the camera icon and mms settings are visible again.

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
1) No one knows the release date of 3.1. Probably not even Apple, but I would guess it's somewhere between now and mid september since that is when mms will probably be supported by AT&T.

2) It could be either. Apple might wait and release 3.1 when AT&T is ready. Hypothetically if AT&T was ready tomorrow then it would be a carrier update.

3) I am on 3.1 and it has not activated mms and probably will never activate mms. Everything that will make mms work now is on AT&T's end with whatever update Apple releases at the time for people on 3.0 or 3.0.1 so the camera icon and mms settings are visible again.
thx dude. U really are a genius :)

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Last edited by a moderator:

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Any news on when MMS or 3.1 will be released, yet?
There wont be any news until it is released. Your guess is a good as everyone else's. If you want MMS now, I suggest following the OP's instructions in the forum I posted above your post. It works great for most people using this method. Makes me think 3.1 or the carrier update will be out soon.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I'm a little bit confused, so I have some questions:

1) when will the final version of 3.1 come out?

2) Will MMS be activated through a carrier update or a firmware update?

3) Will 3.1 activate MMS for US iPhones?
1. September 25th
2. Firmware update (3.1)
3. Yes

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
It has not been confirmed that 3.1 will come out on the 25th. We have to wait till Sept for the ipod music event, where there it will be announced.

umkcdds

Sep 18, 2009
i just downloaded 3.1.

not sure when the update showed up in iTunes. i just noticed it today, and did a google search for the release date, to see how long it had been on there, and found this thread.

it is still installing, so i don't know if MMS works or not. if i had thought about it, i would have copied and pasted the info about the changes, but i didn't see anything about MMS. most of the info pertained to 3GS, which i don't have.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There are a few steps involved on getting it working right now. Updating to 3.1 isn't necessary to get it working.

Classified

Bronze
Apr 2, 2009
i just downloaded 3.1.

not sure when the update showed up in iTunes. i just noticed it today, and did a google search for the release date, to see how long it had been on there, and found this thread.

it is still installing, so i don't know if MMS works or not. if i had thought about it, i would have copied and pasted the info about the changes, but i didn't see anything about MMS. most of the info pertained to 3GS, which i don't have.
Its been out since the 9th. don't expect to be able to use MMS though. That still stands for the sept 25th update.

jeremymobile

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Mms

I have MMS on two 3GS phones. One has 3.0 and the other has 3.1 both working perfectly. The only diff between the 3.0 and the 3.1 is that the 3.0 cant save MMS videos it gets.

iden32

Sep 21, 2009
although to use mms on att u have to download the iccp file and shift update from iTunes... very easy to do but i don't recommend updating yet...