Multitasking on the iPad.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I know we have beaten this dead horse numerous times, but I saw this on Twitter and though I would pass it along. Interesting article, but still a lame excuse in my opinion.
The browser video will make you LMAO.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow, is that ever hard to see... I even moused over quickly looking for that. Perhaps we should underline our links?

carld

Bronze
Feb 19, 2010
Is that link intended to be a parody, or are they really claiming that Apple didn't include multi-tasking because people are stupid?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Is that link intended to be a parody, or are they really claiming that Apple didn't include multi-tasking because people are stupid?
It's not intended as parody. I think it's intended to show that - as those of us who are tech-savvy often tend to forget - lots of mainstream users of the web have no clue what multitasking is and are certainly not likely to be demanding it on their iPhones or iPads. That doesn't make them stupid, just means they are not knowdlegeable in these areas.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'd bet that if Apple only allowed music apps to play in the background, 90% of the populace's multitasking needs will be met and for all intents and purposes, a fast iPhone/iPad will feel as though its multitasking with properly designed apps.

I know I want it to go beyond that, as many of us do, but we certainly don't represent the majority of users. We're power users.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'd bet that if Apple only allowed music apps to play in the background, 90% of the populace's multitasking needs will be met and for all intents and purposes, a fast iPhone/iPad will feel as though its multitasking with properly designed apps.

I know I want it to go beyond that, as many of us do, but we certainly don't represent the majority of users. We're power users.
Exactly - and I feel very confident that that level, and hopefully a bit more, of multitasking will be coming with OS 4.0, for the iPhone and iPad.

carld

Bronze
Feb 19, 2010
It's not intended as parody. I think it's intended to show that - as those of us who are tech-savvy often tend to forget - lots of mainstream users of the web have no clue what multitasking is and are certainly not likely to be demanding it on their iPhones or iPads. That doesn't make them stupid, just means they are not knowdlegeable in these areas.
Except the article plainly states "the vast majority of tech users are decidedly not smart enough to responsibly handle multitasking," ie. people are too stupid to multitask. That's a TERRIBLE excuse for not including basic functionality, and why I thought it might be parody.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Except the article plainly states "the vast majority of tech users are decidedly not smart enough to responsibly handle multitasking," ie. people are too stupid to multitask. That's a TERRIBLE excuse for not including basic functionality, and why I thought it might be parody.
I don't think that's the excuse. I think they - probably quite rightly - feel it is not a feature that is heavily demanded by 'average/mainstream' users, and one that can potentially cause more headaches to those average users than it's worth.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I don't think that's the excuse. I think they - probably quite rightly - feel it is not a feature that is heavily demanded by 'average/mainstream' users, and one that can potentially cause more headaches to those average users than it's worth.
Patrick is right. After reading the article, I realized that I take for granted a number of things that the general populous knows little about. Most of us here are tied into tech so deeply that it becomes second nature, and if something is left out of a device it is folks like us that are the first to notice.
If you don't think this is true, ask a number of people what jailbreaking is and see what you get for an answer.