My Pre v. iPhone impressions

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm just going to be honest about something. The Palm Pre in my opinion is well built and works well. Sadly to say the Pre cannot hold a candle to the iPhone. Not even in the same class.

Everyday I check the App Catalog on the Pre for new Apps. I can't believe that there has been no new Apps in weeks. Also how can you not have a Twitter or Yahoo IM App on a device in this day and time. What was Palm thinking? Palm added AOL IM (which is practically dead in the water) who in the heck uses AOL anymore?

I also see in daily usage how much more I use the 3GS. The larger screen, all the Apps and the ease of use just make the 3GS a better device. I am really getting sick of all that's missing from the Pre that I thought would be added by now either by Palm or 3rd party.

I am always going to be a Sprint customer as long as Sprint is in businesss. I wish I had of waited for the BlackBerry tour. I might just end up buying one anyway. The Pre is starting to bore me especially when used side by side with the 3GS. Mark

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Apparently, the Best Buy price drop was a misprint and is being rectified.

And with mQuickDo and Backgrounder installed on my jailbroken 3GS, I pretty much have advanced gestures and the ability to multitask now.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Apparently, the Best Buy price drop was a misprint and is being rectified.

And with mQuickDo and Backgrounder installed on my jailbroken 3GS, I pretty much have advanced gestures and the ability to multitask now.
If you look at the photo of the $99 sale price on the photo on Boy Genius. You can see that the large $99 price does not coincide with the small print that clearly says 199.99 for a two year contract. I guess we have to let Internet stories be out for a while before believing them. Mark

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
If you look at the photo of the $99 sale price on the photo on Boy Genius. You can see that the large $99 price does not coincide with the small print that clearly says 199.99 for a two year contract. I guess we have to let Internet stories be out for a while before believing them. Mark
Don't worry you weren't the only one. Apparently it has cost Best Buy a whole lot of money because it was the front page story on Yahoo.com and PC World this afternoon :

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/20090727/tc_pcworld/bestbuybrieflysellspalmprefor99oops_1

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Oh no not you. Am I reading this correctly? Mr. PhoneApart has a Palm Pre?What are your thoughts of it in the first hours of having it? Mark
I tried posting this reply from my Pre, but the miniscule keyboard and placement of the refresh icon was driving me crazy; I need more practice, I suppose...

Posting with the 3GS:

My early impression is that the Pre is a pretty good phone, but nowhere near enough to lure me away from my 3GS.

Browsing is as fast on the Pre as it is on the 3GS, but not as smooth. Pages have blank (checkerboard) areas when scrolling (similar to pre-3GS iPhone models) and scrolling itself isn't as smooth. Also, when replying to a post, the screen doesn't seem to follow along as you type. I kept having to scroll to the right and left to find the cursor. If I'm doing this wrong, Mark, please let me know. Also, I really miss predictive text correction on the Pre.

Copy and paste? Fuggedaboutit. It works on editable text only, and Apple's implementation knocks it out of the park.

Apps seem to not load as fast on the Pre as on the 3GS. The Pre's App Store is very anemic, with about thirty apps available. This will probably be remedied in the future once developers start cranking out apps. The new 1.1.0 software gives Pre owners the NFL Live app; a NASCAR app is already provided on previous software versions.

The Sprint plan I'm on is a bargain, though. I get 450 anytime minutes and everything else is unlimited, including texts, MMS and data (internet) for $69.00 per month.

The multitasking OS is okay, in my opinion, but I can duplicate this on a jailbroken 3GS using mQuickDo and Backgrounder. On my 3GS I now have advanced gestures and similar multitasking abilities to the Pre. I'm hoping to make a short video today showing how this works.

Build quality on the Pre seems decent, but let me use it a bit more before I make a final judgment.

Remember, these are preliminary opinions and subject to change.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
@ Mr. PhoneApart,
I have not had any problems finding the cursor when entering text. I'm sure you have viewed the App Catalog by now. Pretty sad huh? Also what do you think about the settings being buried in each individual application? I hate it and wish there was one settings menu covering all functions. Mark

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I tried posting this reply from my Pre, but the miniscule keyboard and placement of the refresh icon was driving me crazy; I need more practice, I suppose...

Posting with the 3GS:

My early impression is that the Pre is a pretty good phone, but nowhere near enough to lure me away from my 3GS.
I think you should run over to the pre forum and let them know this stuff. I'm sure they'll be happy to hear it, and will welcome you with open arms.

--
Mike

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I decided to follow in Napoleon's footsteps and picked one of my own up to try out for the 30 days. I'm going to go ahead and echo his statements as well as add a few of my own.

This is the first slider style phone I've used and I'm sure my opinion is going to be biased against the moving parts and keyboard and such. However, it seems to be fairly decent so far. There is a bit of rocking when it is closed. The sliding action is solid (almost too solid - a bit hard to get used to). The keyboard keys are grippy, and its easy to press but firm enough to know when it's been pressed. They are awfuly small, though, so hard for me to be accurate. When closed, the size of the phone feels good. Not great, but thick enough and easy to reach. When open, the curvature of the phone feels nice. I wish the keyboard half were thicker so it'd be more comfortable two handed. One handed, it is very hard to type compared to the iPhone. It is especially frustrating to accidentally do the back gesture and lose a post while trying to type and edit.

I like the notification style quite a bit better than that of the iPhone's, and the out of the box multitasking. Navigation is a bit more gesture-enriched, but definitely exhibits a certain jerkiness to it that never came with the iPhone. Stuff like scrolling and swiping. They don't follow your finger quite as well, and inertial scrolling needs a bit more friction. But everything (apps and web and email) updates in realtime even in tab view (card view), beating out Safari on the iPhone which you have to zoom in on a page in order to get the latest view. So, I like the OS a lot.

Having a selection of apps available from the app catalog from the start is a big deal. People may taunt the pre quickly for the small selection at the moment, but those people quickly forgot the iPhone had zero at its launch in 2007. I think this is a very capable, very excellent first-generation device. If this were released in 2007, I have to bet that palm would be in the same position Apple is in now. Instead, they have a very hard game of catch-up ahead of them, and that is a good thing for us as well.

Will it displace my 3GS? I'm with Nap here; not by a long shot. Will I keep it? Time will tell. It shows a lot of promise. I think version 2 of this device has a chance to hit it big. Palm just needs the right tweaks and the right third party app support. Put the games on this phone that they have on an iPhone and Apple will have to pull out all the stops.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I did in fact type all of that on the pre and needed to make some additions. Unfortunately, one of the additions is that editing text is a bit cumbersome and, well, impossible. I can't figure out how to precisely place the cursor, nor scroll a text field (two fingers in iPhone safari). And entering a text field doesn't zoom into it. So this implementation of text input is notably behind the iPhone, but some of it can be fixed with a softwsre update. (wtb autocorrect)

Speaking of that, I think its a fantastic idea to do the software update from the phone itself. That doesn't tie up iTunes, and actually doesn't take nearly as long as an iPhone update. Even the early ones.