My Pre v. iPhone impressions

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Ha. They should really wait a bit and save the emails for some killer apps. People will start ignoring them otherwise

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Ha. They should really wait a bit and save the emails for some killer apps. People will start ignoring them otherwise
I'm really starting to get PO'd about the lack of Pre Apps. I'm going to give it until the end of August and if I don't see some worthwhile Apps I'm getting a BlackBerry Tour (the Sprint version). It's been almost two months and I'm tired of waiting. Mark

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I'm really starting to get PO'd about the lack of Pre Apps. I'm going to give it until the end of August and if I don't see some worthwhile Apps I'm getting a BlackBerry Tour (the Sprint version). It's been almost two months and I'm tired of waiting. Mark
Give em some time, it took Apple almost a year to unleash native apps for the iPhone. I'd say in a few updates to the OS, once they can get the performance smoothed out, and leak out the OpenGL API to a few prominent game developers, the Pre will have a similar explosion of software titles. They can't just rush it like google did for Android, or the crapps will drive people away before the real good software hits the store.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Give em some time, it took Apple almost a year to unleash native apps for the iPhone. I'd say in a few updates to the OS, once they can get the performance smoothed out, and leak out the OpenGL API to a few prominent game developers, the Pre will have a similar explosion of software titles. They can't just rush it like google did for Android, or the crapps will drive people away before the real good software hits the store.
I can go along with that but I'm really getting bored on top of missing useful needed Apps. Palm should have had all this worked out. They could not have even believed they could have changed peoples mind about buying an iPhone with such a weak App catalog. The life of mobile devices other than the iPhone is very short these days. Palm does not have the luxury of waiting to fill the App Catalog. Mark

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Give em some time, it took Apple almost a year to unleash native apps for the iPhone.
Yeah, and Palm was watching the whole time, and the entire year since. Palm is snoozing hard on this point and they're failing big time because of it, IMO.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Doesn't your new iPhone 3GS satisfy your App needs unless you are looking for Pre specific apps?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
^ Looks good :)
Hey Mark, have you ever considered unlocking that V1 and putting a prepaid T-Mobile SIM in it? I did that with my old 3G and love it. I bring it to work with me (and forward my 3GS calls to it while I'm there) because I don't get good AT&T service in the hospital but the T-Mobile service is pretty good. It just makes is a good back up phone with no monthly service plan.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
^ Looks good :)
Hey Mark, have you ever considered unlocking that V1 and putting a prepaid T-Mobile SIM in it? I did that with my old 3G and love it. I bring it to work with me (and forward my 3GS calls to it while I'm there) because I don't get good AT&T service in the hospital but the T-Mobile service is pretty good. It just makes is a good back up phone with no monthly service plan.
The v1 is unlocked but not considering T-Mo. I had a BB Curve 8900 a couple months ago on T-Mobile and their service was horrible. I would never use T-Mo again. Mark

Europa, I do thank you for the suggestion. T-MO is just not for me though.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The v1 is unlocked but not considering T-Mo. I had a BB Curve 8900 a couple months ago on T-Mobile and their service was horrible. I would never use T-Mo again. Mark

Europa, I do thank you for the suggestion. T-MO is just not for me though.
I might have to eat my words and try T-Mo again. I saw the HTC My Touch (G2) today running the Android OS and I'm thinking I might just have to have it. I could just wait until the Sprint version (HTC Hero) comes out in October but I doubt it. I want it now. :dft008:surprised Mark

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I tried posting this reply from my Pre, but the miniscule keyboard and placement of the refresh icon was driving me crazy; I need more practice, I suppose...

Posting with the 3GS:

My early impression is that the Pre is a pretty good phone, but nowhere near enough to lure me away from my 3GS.

Browsing is as fast on the Pre as it is on the 3GS, but not as smooth. Pages have blank (checkerboard) areas when scrolling (similar to pre-3GS iPhone models) and scrolling itself isn't as smooth. Also, when replying to a post, the screen doesn't seem to follow along as you type. I kept having to scroll to the right and left to find the cursor. If I'm doing this wrong, Mark, please let me know. Also, I really miss predictive text correction on the Pre.

Copy and paste? Fuggedaboutit. It works on editable text only, and Apple's implementation knocks it out of the park.

Apps seem to not load as fast on the Pre as on the 3GS. The Pre's App Store is very anemic, with about thirty apps available. This will probably be remedied in the future once developers start cranking out apps. The new 1.1.0 software gives Pre owners the NFL Live app; a NASCAR app is already provided on previous software versions.

The Sprint plan I'm on is a bargain, though. I get 450 anytime minutes and everything else is unlimited, including texts, MMS and data (internet) for $69.00 per month.

The multitasking OS is okay, in my opinion, but I can duplicate this on a jailbroken 3GS using mQuickDo and Backgrounder. On my 3GS I now have advanced gestures and similar multitasking abilities to the Pre. I'm hoping to make a short video today showing how this works.

Build quality on the Pre seems decent, but let me use it a bit more before I make a final judgment.

Remember, these are preliminary opinions and subject to change.
Have you uploaded this video yet?

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Up to now mQuickDo and Backgrounder would be the main reasons for me JB my phone. I know as soon as I decide to JB I'll find many other uses but for now those are my main.