MyWi safe to use now?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Just gave PDANet another go, and indeed it is much simpler nowadays. No client apps or AdHoc networks. Stock iPad connects easily. Not quite as convenient as the On-Demand feature of MyWi, but for as often as I need to use it, it's fine. Just saved me $25.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Just gave PDANet another go, and indeed it is much simpler nowadays. No client apps or AdHoc networks. Stock iPad connects easily. Not quite as convenient as the On-Demand feature of MyWi, but for as often as I need to use it, it's fine. Just saved me $25.
PdaNet is much better, MyWi is and will be for a while the main player in the whole tethering thing. TetherMe is also quite good, take a look at that.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I'm afraid to tether lately. Some people have said they received a text or email warning them about it but I actually received a LETTER in the mail. It said if I tether again I will be taken off my unlimited plan and put on a tether plan. The funny thing is that I only tether for a total of 30 minutes probably. And that was spread out over days or weeks so I thought that was unusual. I was using TetherMe. I wonder if PDAnet would be better since it can supposedly "hide" usage. I'm tempted to try.
I used PDANet for a few hours and even stayed tethered while Internet was out. I never received any notifications or anything from them saying they are going to remove my unlimited plan. Sometimes they do that though just to scare you, but for some people it's reality.

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
I used PDANet for a few hours and even stayed tethered while Internet was out. I never received any notifications or anything from them saying they are going to remove my unlimited plan. Sometimes they do that though just to scare you, but for some people it's reality.
I've read on here somewhere that someone actually got their plan changed unwillingly. That would suck although I think AT&T will eventually do away with grandfathered unlimited plans. I hope not.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I've read on here somewhere that someone actually got their plan changed unwillingly. That would suck although I think AT&T will eventually do away with grandfathered unlimited plans. I hope not.
That is true, some people do get their plan changed without notice. As far as the grandfathered unlimited plans, that is what I am on. I've been on the unlimited plan for a good while, and they've told me as long as you're with the unlimited plan, you're grandfathered in. But that's only if you had the unlimited plan at a certain time, I believe.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've had an unlimited plan from the beginning, but I'm not real worried about losing it. There's really no advantage to an unlimited plan anymore... they're going to throttle you to the point of uselessness after 3GB anyway. I average about 300MB of 3G usage per month... I don't think they're losing sleep over my usage.

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
I've had an unlimited plan from the beginning, but I'm not real worried about losing it. There's really no advantage to an unlimited plan anymore... they're going to throttle you to the point of uselessness after 3GB anyway. I average about 300MB of 3G usage per month... I don't think they're losing sleep over my usage.
That's true. My friend has unlimited and has been throttled. Lol. That sounds funny. He streams the radio all day at work. Uses about 10 gig a month.