chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Still wondering why it has to change?

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app
Shorter, perhaps more memorable. Those would be the primary reasons. When it was everythingiPhone, I think it made more sense. While most regular members know eiC as everythingiCafe, we have new users coming here daily. I'm not sure it's a name that resonates with them. Would they remember to tell a friend, "hey, check out everythingiCafe." I could see the blank stares – I get them myself when at trade shows and people ask what site I'm from... Of course, some of that has to do with awareness and I need to do a better job of improving the site throughout -- content, etc. At the end of the day, it's the community, content and experience that drives people here and hopefully has them returning. I just wonder if we could help our cause by providing them with an easier, more memorable pathway.

Reactions: patrickj

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Shorter, perhaps more memorable. Those would be the primary reasons. When it was everythingiPhone, I think it made more sense. While most regular members know eiC as everythingiCafe, we have new users coming here daily. I'm not sure it's a name that resonates with them. Would they remember to tell a friend, "hey, check out everythingiCafe." I could see the blank stares – I get them myself when at trade shows and people ask what site I'm from... Of course, some of that has to do with awareness and I need to do a better job of improving the site throughout -- content, etc. At the end of the day, it's the community, content and experience that drives people here and hopefully has them returning. I just wonder if we could help our cause by providing them with an easier, more memorable pathway.
Very well said. I totally agree that's it's the great community and content that makes this site outstanding - but I also agree that if just the right sort of name could be found it might make drawing in new users and promoting the site a bit easier. And it might provide a more accurate reflection of what the site is all about.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
And it might provide a more accurate reflection of what the site is all about.
So says the guy with iPadInsight.com;)

It's a very real thing, the difficulty in telling new people about the site. I often counter the blank stares with, "Well, it used to be called everythingiPhone, but Apple... "

I have given thought to really pushing the cafe side of things visually. A sort of owning up to the fact that we're named as if we were a coffee house. Proof that I'm never short on bad ideas.:oops:

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY

It's a very real thing, the difficulty in telling new people about the site. I often counter the blank stares with, "Well, it used to be called everythingiPhone, but Apple... "

I have given thought to really pushing the cafe side of things visually. A sort of owning up to the fact that we're named as if we were a coffee house. Proof that I'm never short on bad ideas.:oops:
As long as we can get free Wi-Fi as we spend $5 on exotic sounding drinks loosely based on coffee, I'm up for it.
wink2.gif

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

Yeah I found I liked the previous name of my site less and less as time went by, and I was continually trying to think of new names when out walking the dog and whenever else my brain had some room to roam. I love the name the site has now.

Anyway, I hope the secret squirrel one you found and that the wife likes is a great fit, if you decide it's the right thing to go that way. I also think some visual representation of a comfortable, stimulating local cafe environment (with the present name) is not a bad idea at all.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
How about: allthingsi.com - and it is available, too...

Oops, WhoIs shows someone is 'holding' it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't want to overhype things, because that sets unreal expectations for the name change. The only person in the know is my wife, who walked into my office -- saw the logo on my desk and said, "I LOVE i______"

If I did make the leap, I'm guessing it makes sense to wait for the new year. The biggest risk with any name change would be search engines. With two new iOS devices and the holiday season, I wouldn't want to jeopardize the site prior to the start of 2013.

We'll see.. I have some ideas about how I might be able to share this with some of you, to get some feedback, without making anything public.

The feedback in this thread has been valuable and I appreciate it.

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I volunteer as well if you like. I'm in marketing and can keep a secret. However I won't be offended since you don't know me off this site.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Whoa. Is that part of the decision process - seeing how it works on promo material and such?
I think so. Trying to visualize how it might work as a brand.

tshirt.jpg

Funny, we never had everythingiCafe t-shirts. Still have some kick-ass everything Treo t-shirts in my basement.
got-treo-tshirt.jpg

got-treo-bk.jpg